Offroad trip etiquette

KhakiKraken

When off-roading with a group if there is a member that doesn't bring supplies to help the group and relies on others tools and gear, what is the proper way to handle the situation?

Many outings have minimum requirements to go on the trip, it may be helpful to get with the trip coordinator and set up minimum required gear.

Is it someone that is new or has this person been at it a while? If they are needing tools that often I'd have a hard time re-inviting them anyways, you need to have your rig in order when you are venturing off the beaten path. Nobody wants to wheel with someone who is breaking down all the time.

Reactions: Rob5589
Naa first time along but he did receive a list of what he should bring...only thing he did bring was a GoPro, that was worth it.

The etiquette of off roading says you are self sufficient if you have been off road more than a couple of times. If you're just getting started, you need to be as self sufficient as you can, but let your travel companions know what gear you have along. At least bloody try, OK? You need to make progress in gearing up each time you go out. Your buddies have the absolute right to leave your ass stranded in the middle of nowhere or stop inviting you along if you can't or won't get your shit together. Sorry, no awards for participation in the off road world. If an exception is made, your travel companions make it, not you.

Note: I doubt that anyone would actually leave your ass stranded in the middle of nowhere, but you may wish that they did from all the crap you will deservedly catch. They may leave you sitting at Earl's Gas, Bait and Liquor 100 miles from indoor plumbing though. That's called a motivational and / or learning opportunity and is sometimes well deserved.

Reactions: Rob5589
You gotta pay to play if you want to wheel. When I had my XJ I wheeled Rubicon, Fordyce, and some other moderate to hard trails and never had a winch but, I had everything else. Was also geared and locked. I get some gear is expensive but you have to at least prepare as though you are alone and do not have buddies to help you out.

Reactions: StG58
It's a dependency thing, I think. Most Jeepers are the pretty independent sort. At least the ones that I know. Self reliance is a common virtue in the community.

Our group doesn't enforce or require anyone to carry tools. We require proper front and rear recovery points, and a full sized spare. I would say that 70% of us carry an assortment of tools, and between us all, have whatever we need to get a trail fix done.

We are going on our first group run tomorrow. "Recovery 101". Equipment list is required but they cut some slack first time out. The 3-4 hour run is to teach how to use this equipment. People install winches and never learn how to use them! A bag of emergency equipment is next to useless without the knowledge of how to use it. This group believes in "prepping". I am excited to learn new techniques tomorrow.

Give the new guy a break. Befriend him and help him understand the importance of being prepared for off road. He will appreciate it and so will the group.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

We are going on our first group run tomorrow. "Recovery 101". Equipment list is required but they cut some slack first time out. The 3-4 hour run is to teach how to use this equipment. People install winches and never learn how to use them! A bag of emergency equipment is next to useless without the knowledge of how to use it. This group believes in "prepping". I am excited to learn new techniques tomorrow.

Give the new guy a break. Befriend him and help him understand the importance of being prepared for off road. He will appreciate it and so will the group.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

That's a good idea for a group outing "recovery 101". I had to learn everything by trial and error back in the early 90's. When I got to college We had a minimum rig set up (attachment points for pulling and recovery straps) and did tech inspections for new guys to our four wheeling club.

It's surprising how little gear is absolutely required in most instances. The type and amount of gear you hang on your rig is heavily dependent on where you wheel. Moab and JV require a totally different load out than FS roads in the Siuslaw. How your TJ is built makes a difference as well. The detail and completeness of your maintenance schedule impacts your gear. How adventurous you are makes a difference. For instance, the wife could get by with a roll of toilet paper and a flashlight, me - not so much. There are lots of things that impact the gear and training you need.

The bottom line is that if you head out and break something, or stick yourself, your running mates are going rescue you AND give you crap. I imagine we would all do the same. The bigger you build, the harder you push, the more gear you should take along. That's how 5,500 GVW TJ's happen. Learn to use the gear you have and practice, practice practice. With a little well chosen gear and some creativity, you can bail yourself out of some nasty situations. Right up to the point you start breaking important stuff.

Sometimes it's just time for the man-up talk. Clue him in that it's time for him to stop being dependent on everyone else for his tools, recovery gear, etc. Tell him that with the experience he has gained, it's time for him to be the adult he is and be self-sufficient and not need others to get him through a day of offroading.

Sometimes it's just time for the man-up talk. Clue him in that it's time for him to stop being dependent on everyone else for his tools, recovery gear, etc. Tell him that with the experience he has gained, it's time for him to be the adult he is and be self-sufficient and not need others to get him through a day of offroading.
x2

Is there a way to double like something? Once again @Jerry Bransford says what needs to be said with few words and right to the point. Dang Jerry, how do you do that?!

x2

Is there a way to double like something? Once again @Jerry Bransford says what needs to be said with few words and right to the point. Dang Jerry, how do you do that?!
Ha maybe it's just from being old. Us old guys just don't have the energy to use more words lol.

For some weird reason that reminded me of a GREAT film called Second-Hand Lions starring Robert Duvall, Michael Caine, and Haley Joel Osment. Two crusty old guys (Duvall and Caine) end up raising a young boy (Osment) abandoned by his worthless mother they may or may not be related to. Robert Duvall's character is asked by the boy to make sure Duvall gives him the 'man talk' when he gets old enough. Basically about how to be a man.

For those who haven't seen that movie, it's really an amazing story (funny too) and film. Duvall is amazing, so is Caine and Osment. It's a great family movie that is one of those increasingly rare PG but really G rated movies. I've actually sent a few copies of it out to friends with younger families, it's one of those rare great movies that is very enjoyable by young and old alike.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0327137/

Last edited: