OH OH Not engaging in 2nd gear

Ericict

I don't proofread for your enjoyment.
Supporting Member
My plan this weekend was to overhaul the cooling system, which I did with no issues. Waiting for the Radiator to be finished at the shop and I will get her back together. Now the real Issue.
Dropped my wife off at the airport on Sunday am (0400) and she tells me the jeep isn't engaging into 2nd gear very well. So while Im working the coolant system, I go and take a look at the transmission mounting because there was nothing obvious in the cab. CRAP! The PO had gone thru and treated a bunch of area on the frame so it was not noticeable at the time, but I have serious rust. I saw the left side of the skidplate wasn't flush, so I stuck my pry bar between the frame and plate and tugged. Down it came, The left side separated from the frame with bolts still attached.
I knew this could an issue prior to the purchase and commented to the PO about the treating because he was bragging about it and I told him if you only covered it and didn't treat and repair, then there is still an issue. We got the Jeep at a very good price for the area, with the thought that I might have frame work to do down the road. There is a shop in the state that will repair the frame (weld in new parts). They said they are doing 2-3 a month on the TJ's so they have got experience. Cost is very reasonable with parts being the cheap part of the deal. Typical, labor is twice parts, which is normal. Looking at <$700 per side. Jeep goes to the shop on Friday. Bummer, but this was the last thing I had in my mind that could be an issue, outside of normal upkeep and mx on an older vehicle. Now I'm waiting for the clutch to act up...

Side note, Im very proud of my wife to question what she was feeling when it didn't feel normal. This could have been much worse if it happened on the road.

Are they doing Safe T Cap repairs? I always recommend getting the full-length pieces that include the rear control arm mounts. If the frame rotted under the skid plate, it's almost certainly rotting at the control arms. Might as well do it all at once.

Are they doing Safe T Cap repairs? I always recommend getting the full-length pieces that include the rear control arm mounts. If the frame rotted under the skid plate, it's almost certainly rotting at the control arms. Might as well do it all at once.

We talked about that and they recommended it and after some thought, I signed up for it. They are replacing approximately 70% and transporting about 200 miles. Total bill is $2800.
For that amount, they cut back to good material, clean the inside of the remaining frame, protect and paint the inside, install new parts, paint all new parts and area where from repairs.

Not sure which product, they said the frame parts come out of NH.

Probably Safe T Caps, which come from Rhode Island. Might also be Pocono metal craft, which is based in PA. That's a good price for the frame repair. Maybe ask if they can apply Eastwood internal frame coating to help keep it solid for the long haul.

Reactions: Ericict
Probably Safe T Caps, which come from Rhode Island. Might also be Pocono metal craft, which is based in PA. That's a good price for the frame repair. Maybe ask if they can apply Eastwood internal frame coating to help keep it solid for the long haul.
Included in the price. I thought overall very fair.

If you're comfortable with doing the prep work, you can save a bunch. I cut out all my rot, ordered parts from Pocono, had everything ready to weld in. Ended up having a local welding shop come to my house with a mobile welder. Total cost for parts and welder was around $600. That's both rear control arms and both skid plate sections.

If you're comfortable with doing the prep work, you can save a bunch. I cut out all my rot, ordered parts from Pocono, had everything ready to weld in. Ended up having a local welding shop come to my house with a mobile welder. Total cost for parts and welder was around $600. That's both rear control arms and both skid plate sections.
I’m comfortable doing it, but don’t have time. I wrestled with this question for a couple of days. It only took them 2 days to do the work. So will be back up and running.

I’m comfortable doing it, but don’t have time. I wrestled with this question for a couple of days. It only took them 2 days to do the work. So will be back up and running.
My prep work took abiut a full 8 hour day. Split it up over a weekend. The welder spent about 3 hours on it. My next big project will probably be the body mounts. I have a few where the tub is getting soft that I should probably address.

Last edited: