Oh sheet - I bought a Jeep!

Fox Delta

Supporting Member
Hey all - Newbie McGee here...

I recently wound up with a 98 Tj, 4.0 and 5 speed - only 146,000 miles lol.

Questions abound, and I've been searching, but is there a sure-fire way to know just how much my Tj has been lifted? Xx Inches to bottom of the frame? The Tj desperately needs shocks (as well as other items) and I need to know the correct length.

Other ideas?

Thanks!
Fd

20220427_172223.jpg

20220427_171720.jpg

20220427_171746.jpg

Don't buy shocks just based on the lift height once you know. Measure the available travel and buy based on that. You already know the ride height, assuming you're keeping this setup, and the general rule of thumb is to target 50/50 travel.

You should include other shocks as options (see the more recent threads on this) as many of us were unhappy with Rancho 5000x's and started looking for other similarly budget friendly options.

I was surprised to see that during my searches!
Rancho appears to be what's on there (red boot/white body), but every other visual aid is gone...
Can you find a model # stamped into the body of the front or rear shock? With that we can figure out what model Rancho shock is currently installed.

Don't buy shocks just based on the lift height once you know. Measure the available travel and buy based on that. You already know the ride height, assuming you're keeping this setup, and the general rule of thumb is to target 50/50 travel.

You should include other shocks as options (see the more recent threads on this) as many of us were unhappy with Rancho 5000x's and started looking for other similarly budget friendly options.
I’m not sure if I had read that thread but I did see somewhere some people were liking Skyjackers BlackMax shocks IIRC. I know members dislike Metalcloak but I’m running their Rocksport shocks and I am pleased with them soft comfortable ride. I can only compare them to my previous Bilstien shocks though. I think they were around $260.

Edit: just went to MC website and looks like they changed the design of the shock and price. $356 now for all 4. So I have no experience with their new shocks.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Ah good info, thank you
Your Tj looks good ! You will love this forum , lot's of great folks, and quite a few very knowledgeable folks that are Assholes , ( but usually very helpful Assholes ! ). I think you have done a good thing by becoming a supporting member, without that it makes it harder to have a great forum !
Looking forward to see how you want to make this Jeep into Your Jeep!