Oil filter size discrepancy

ktugboat42

So i did my first oil change on my new to me '97 4.0 Sport and when i went to change the filter, the recommended filter was to big (see pic). I bought a Mopar MO-090 which i thought was the right one but ended up having to go to NAPA and had to buy their 1348 filter. The NAPA girl agreed that the MO-90 should of been the right one and said the old one I took off was for a 2003 and newer Jeep. Any ideas why the discrepancy?

filter.jpg

I have heard of some using a larger Motorcraft oil filter on their Jeeps. That Mopar oil filter you bought is the recommended size for my 2001 Sport and I was thinking for the earlier TJ's also.

Wix 51515 is for some kind of Ford but worked just fine on my first stroker motor. It was an older style block with the filter mounting at an angle. Not sure if it works with the stock '98 casting. I'll find out eventually. The only benefit is more oil capacity and I guess a greater filtering surface area.

So i did my first oil change on my new to me '97 4.0 Sport and when i went to change the filter, the recommended filter was to big (see pic). I bought a Mopar MO-090 which i thought was the right one but ended up having to go to NAPA and had to buy their 1348 filter. The NAPA girl agreed that the MO-90 should of been the right one and said the old one I took off was for a 2003 and newer Jeep. Any ideas why the discrepancy?

View attachment 172236
Something weird going on...

What do you mean by the MO-090 being too big? Did you actually try to screw it on?

Mopar MO-090 is the correct filter for any TJ Wrangler with the 4.0, 1997 to 2006. And the correct Napa Gold filter would be a 1085

Reactions: Cedar128

View attachment 172236
The MO-090 fits my 2001 and 2005.

Wix 51515 is for some kind of Ford but worked just fine on my first stroker motor. It was an older style block with the filter mounting at an angle. Not sure if it works with the stock '98 casting. I'll find out eventually. The only benefit is more oil capacity and I guess a greater filtering surface area.

I ran the same filter and had same thought process.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
It screwed on no problem but the seals don't match up. The MO-90 was significantly wider than the old filter i took off. You can see the box size difference.
I'm wondering if at some point the housing got crossed threaded and was replaced with the wrong one.

The oil filter seals sealing surface is cast into the block and machined smooth.

Reactions: B252
I have been predominantly using Fram filters forever. In all likelihood, most brands are okay, but I know Fram has put a lot of science behind their product. Wix has always been a favorite as well. I change my oil often enough to where it probably doesn't matter. I did not know different year TJs used different oil filter sizes. All the ones I've looked at appeared to be like my 2003.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079DF3DJS/?tag=wranglerorg-20

As long as it threads on the filter gasket is the same size as the mating surface, the size of the canister doesn't matter as far as fitment.

I just changed my oil today and used a MO-090 filter on my '06.

Reactions: TJ Jim
The same thing happened to me. I pulled off my old oil filter and it was a 3 inch instead of a 4 inch diameter. It had a Parts Master 61348 on it. The Fram recommendation was PH 16, but that was way too big. I cross referenced the Parts Master 61348 with K&N and it showed the K&N HP 1002 was the cross match. I would love to know what happened there and why it is the smaller oil filter. Does anyone know?

... The Fram recommendation was PH 16, but that was way too big.
What engine do you have? I have been using the Fram Tough Guard TG-16 for years on my 4.0, which is the same size as the PH-16. And you can't go by the exterior diameter of the filter, the diameters for correct filters can vary. What counts is its O-ring diameter where it seals against its machined surface on the block.

My 99 takes 1085 Napa…. On around my 40th oil change!

Someone said something “weird” … I concur.

motorcraft FL1A used here on 97 4.0 ,larger size filter same o-ring size and threads

Same here, works on my '06 4.0.

I

View attachment 172236
Just got Amazon Oil change package. When I do change i get the best filter i can buy, well Amazon sent me Fram super cheapo filter
my small lawn tractor oil filter remover is to big WTF.... This filter is Tiny but holes line-up. Go Big or Go Home.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting
Seriously the 51348 or 1348 is what many Toyotas use including our 4runner and the 3.4 V6. I also used them on my HD's. You can go on the WIX website and see differences of the 2 and why Napa sold you a 38 is beyond me. It is close but not the same.

Reactions: MountaineerTom
I just did my 2nd oil change and as someone mentioned earlier, yes the whole filter itself may be bigger but the rubber gasket is about the same size. The smaller filters gasket is less than an 1/8" diameter smaller than the larger filter so it doesn't make much of a difference. The larger filter just doesn't look right when its installed but all's good.

oil filters.jpg