Oil filters

No need to change at 3500 mile intervals, that's just something dreamed up by the quick-change joints like Jiffylube. I change my oil at 5k mile intervals and like Jay, I use Fram oil filters. The particular Fram filter I like and is their Tough Guard which is a very high quality filter with a 99% filtration efficiency. Many filters that are much more expensive only have a 95% filtration efficiency rating.

Unlike Jay, I only use conventional oil, and usually use Valvoline though I'd just as happily use Castrol, Mobil, Pennzoil, etc. as today's multi-weight engine oils are all superb. The only time I'd pay extra for synthetic engine oil would be during the winter if I lived somewhere like Bismark North Dakota where it gets cold enough to make synthetic engine oil the better choice. In 52 years of driving, I've yet to have an engine problem with conventional motor oils. I dunno how having used synthetic those 52 years could have improved that record. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: MBJ and Kevin E
I have a Purolator on mine now and picked up a Mopar for my next oil change. I see bad things talked about Fram filters on different sights, but have used them for years with no problems. I don't believe everything I read on the interweb.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kevin E
No need to change at 3500 mile intervals, that's just something dreamed up by the quick-change joints like Jiffylube.

So, so true. Growing up everyone used to drill it into me that you needed to change your oil at 3k miles.

The more I read and more educated I became, the more I realized that was nothing more than a scam. I change my oil usually around 5k, but I've gone until 7k and it was just fine as well.

Of course, consider how you drive. If your vehicle is a track only vehicle (like my race only motorcycle), then yeah, you want to change the oil much, much sooner. But for a low revving TJ engine... You'll be fine going to 5k.

Reactions: Stinger and Kevin E
I've mostly used Fram filters, even though most say to stay far away from them. I've yet to have an engine issue, so I'll probably continue to use them.

On our cars (new), I change the oil every 10,000km, and use synthetic. For the Jeeps, they get changed every 5,000km. Now I also only put around 6-7,000km a year on my rig, so I don't mind changing it more often.

Reactions: Chris
I use a royal purple filter (tests show it being a fantastic filter and it isn't much more $) and pennzoil high mileage oil. I run synthetic in my motorcycle though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, so true. Growing up everyone used to drill it into me that you needed to change your oil at 3k miles.

The more I read and more educated I became, the more I realized that was nothing more than a scam. I change my oil usually around 5k, but I've gone until 7k and it was just fine as well.

Of course, consider how you drive. If your vehicle is a track only vehicle (like my race only motorcycle), then yeah, you want to change the oil much, much sooner. But for a low revving TJ engine... You'll be fine going to 5k.

There was a time when 3k was required. But that was several decades ago when engines only lasted 50-75k before rebuilds. A less sooner if you drove the 265 /283/327s the way I did with the solid lifter 30/30 cam.

Nothing lasted long when you & I were kids Stinger. I remember tires wearing out at 10k miles and we were lucky to go 10k miles between needing to install new plugs, points, condenser, etc. Oils weren't nearly as good and a lot of them caused problems like sludge. Carburetors were a PITA, I don't remember much longevity or reliability to anything back then. The problems we have with modern engines are harder to diagnose but overall, I'd rather have a modern fuel injected engine than one of those PITA carb'd engines I grew up with.

Nothing lasted long when you & I were kids Stinger. I remember tires wearing out at 10k miles and we were lucky to go 10k miles between needing to install new plugs, points, condenser, etc. Oils weren't nearly as good and a lot of them caused problems like sludge. Carburetors were a PITA, I don't remember much longevity or reliability to anything back then. The problems we have with modern engines are harder to diagnose but overall, I'd rather have a modern fuel injected engine than one of those PITA carb'd engines I grew up with.

I had a 62 Chevy pickup with a 283 that burned a quart of oil every 100 miles. I never bothered to change oil. I just added oil and would change the canister oil filter once in a while.

So true Jerry. I could rebuild the 283 in my sleep. I do like the new stuff. Even thinking of acquiring the HP tuner. Was really impressed with what Hardwick was able to do with stingers engine just thru OBD port:D

I had a 62 Chevy pickup with a 283 that burned a quart of oil every 100 miles. I never bothered to change oil. I just added oil and would change the canister oil filter once in a while.

Well now there was no reason for that 'cause for less than $150 I could have replaced the rings and all bearings.;)

Well now there was no reason for that 'cause for less than $150 I could have replaced the rings and all bearings.;)

Back then, 1978, I was working for $2.00 an hour and I was able to get all the used oil I drained from log trucks. 150 bucks was like $1500.00 today.

I did get an almost new 283 from a guy that just put it in a 65 impala and the frame rotted. He gave me the Impala and I put an engine in a Ford pickup for him. The good old days.

Back then, 1978, I was working for $2.00 an hour and I was able to get all the used oil I drained from log trucks. 150 bucks was like $1500.00 today.

I did get an almost new 283 from a guy that just put it in a 65 impala and the frame rotted. He gave me the Impala and I put an engine in a Ford pickup for him. The good old days.
I was about 10 years before you. We only made .85 washing dishes in a night club. Car payment on my 56 Chevy wagon was 16.00. And to the OPs point I used Fram---canisters