Could oil weight have anything to do with my lifter noise?

H_Nunez

TJ Enthusiast
Ok, my 4.0 2006 Rubicon engine recommended oil grade is 10 W30 (according to the owners manual) and it´s what I´ve used since I got it 2 yrs ago. However, There is a sticker under the hood that says I should use 15W40 or 15W50. I have never used this grade. Could this be the cause for my intermittent lifter noise??. Is anyone using such a thick oil??. As a reference, current ambient temp at home is 90 deg F...

Thanks all,

Hi Jerry, thanks for the quick reply, it is a factory sticker...

IMG_1181.jpg

Sorry it is in spanish, what it means on the lower portion is that for temperatures higher than -12 deg C (10 deg F), I should use an oil grade of 15W-40 or 15W-50.
For lower temps, an oil grade of 10W-30 or 5W-50

I'm guessing that sticker is for air south of the border friends. Your average temps are well below what Maine and the Dakotas deal with. If my guess is right then I would at least try one of the suggested oils over the summer. But even the desert gets cooler in the winter. Jeep may just put that sticker on because it is cheaper than printing a whole different owners manual. Does the oil fill cap have a grade designation on it? Is your owners manual in Spanish too?

I'm guessing that sticker is for air south of the border friends. Your average temps are well below what Maine and the Dakotas deal with. If my guess is right then I would at least try one of the suggested oils over the summer. But even the desert gets cooler in the winter. Jeep may just put that sticker on because it is cheaper than printing a whole different owners manual. Does the oil fill cap have a grade designation on it? Is your owners manual in Spanish too?

Hi, I don´t have the owners manual that came with my jeep... But the oil cap states 10W30

Thoughts only. With an older engine there is likely to be some wear in the bearings. And while the amount may vary the effect would be a looser metal to metal. And a thicker film of oil should protect the parts slightly better. So if the engine is new I might try the 5W oil, but after a few thousands of miles I'd use the 10W. Often older engines have a heavier weight (think STP oil treatment) to keep a thicker oil film to prevent metal to metal

15w40 is recommended for allot of export Jeeps. It doesn't make any difference, I use 15w40 when it gets hot. Just like our US Jeeps, if you have lifter noise then try a different brand or type of oil to see if it helps. The different brands use different detergents and switching can help free up a stuck lifter. I'd use what is available inexpensively where you are, 15w40 or 10w30. It is a really common problem, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just try different oil the next time you change your oil.

Reactions: Blondie70
I run 15w50 year round in South Florida. Runs cooler and 0 lifter tick. If I run 10w30, it sounds like a diesel. Flat tappets like heavier oil- 2005 TJ-X
256k miles -

View attachment 229578

View attachment 229671
Mechanics in Western Australia recommend 15w40 even though the book and cap say 10w30 we dont have much of a winter here, rarely gets near zero if ever and its only gets a bit cold as the sun comes up on clear winter sky's but often gets well above 100.
I put 10w30 in at my last change but will go with 15w40 next because 10w30 is not a common oil here and costs a lot more when you can find it, 15w40 is plentiful and cheap even the expensive oils are cheaper than 10w30.
I have always used thicker oil in older worn motors but the TJ is the first I went with the book recommendation.

I dont think it really matters that much unless you have a BMW or live in a cool or cold climate. years ago I did what most others did in a straight 6 just top up the oil at a gas station with whatever oil they had next to the pump :)

Mechanics in Western Australia recommend 15w40 even though the book and cap say 10w30 we dont have much of a winter here, rarely gets near zero if ever and its only gets a bit cold as the sun comes up on clear winter sky's but often gets well above 100.
I put 10w30 in at my last change but will go with 15w40 next because 10w30 is not a common oil here and costs a lot more when you can find it, 15w40 is plentiful and cheap even the expensive oils are cheaper than 10w30.
I have always used thicker oil in older worn motors but the TJ is the first I went with the book recommendation.

I dont think it really matters that much unless you have a BMW or live in a cool or cold climate. years ago I did what most others did in a straight 6 just top up the oil at a gas station with whatever oil they had next to the pump :)
Lol right on! I suppose it’s a personal preference. Mine runs much cooler and like I said no clatter. Can’t complain! Have a good weekend!!

Reactions: D M
Ok, my 4.0 2006 Rubicon engine recommended oil grade is 10 W30 (according to the owners manual) and it´s what I´ve used since I got it 2 yrs ago. However, There is a sticker under the hood that says I should use 15W40 or 15W50. I have never used this grade. Could this be the cause for my intermittent lifter noise??. Is anyone using such a thick oil??. As a reference, current ambient temp at home is 90 deg F...

Thanks all,
15w50 and no noise 👍

Reactions: Rubicon88
Guessing that never sees the Florida mud? :unsure:
In Florida we have Coral and it’s nasty stuff. Dries like concrete. The old girl spent its life in Cumberland Tennessee running through mud daily as a pole vehicle. Hit the trails 1 time and it’s taken 4 months to clean it. After 259k miles, it’s fixed to head back to Tennessee and hit the trails. Until then... your correct. She’s a mall cruiser pic before the lift- power washer didn’t even take that crap off-

750BF2F6-380A-42CA-9501-0B814E6300EE.jpeg