Oil in the intake manifold

joe98tj

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I removed my windstar intake today to fix a loose connection and noticed through the throttle body that I have oil in the intake. Reading online it looks to be the cause of a stuck PCV valve so I may change that out. I'm wondering if I really need to take the whole intake grate out to clean it or if I can just spend some good time on it with the vacuum.

I'd take the whole thing out, but I'm also anal. I don't think you need to in all reality.

It's probably just a little blowby, I wouldn't worry about it. I definitely would not remove the intake manifold which is a job and a half with the danger of sky-high engine rpms afterward if you don't get it reseated properly as is all too common.

It's probably just a little blowby, I wouldn't worry about it. I definitely would not remove the intake manifold which is a job and a half with the danger of sky-high engine rpms afterward if you don't get it reseated properly as is all too common.
Really? I've removed it multiple times without any issues. Guess I got lucky.

Just didn't know how okay it was to leave the oil in the intake.

Our PCV valves arent valves, just orifices. Jerry is right, your engine likely just has some blow by. probably not worth rebuilding the engine over at this point.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
Really? I've removed it multiple times without any issues. Guess I got lucky.
The aluminum intake manifold that requires removing the exhaust headers to remove? Multiple times? That's not a quick or easy job.

Or could you talking about the plastic air intake tube that attaches to the top of the throttle body?

Reactions: Blondie70
The aluminum intake manifold that requires removing the exhaust headers to remove? Or are you talking about the plastic air intake tube that attaches to the top of the throttle body?
nope, the intake manifold. I've had to replace the number 3 piston back from the front twice and when I did a frame swap I removed it to clean and paint the engine. Never had a high rpm issue,

nope, the intake manifold. I've had to replace the number 3 piston back from the front twice and when I did a frame swap I removed it to clean and paint the engine. Never had a high rpm issue,
Nice job never having a problem. Many rush getting it reseated which causes a big vacuum leak and the resulting high engine rpms.

How much oil is considered normal?
Here's mine for reference, though I've had issues with it running rough so I think it's more than what most people would see.

Snapchat-1540093964.jpg