Rear main seal and valve cover oil leak questions / suggestions

CaliSteve

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Ok, time to address the valve cover, oil pan and rear main seal issues.
2005 LJ, 4.0,do I need to drop the exhaust, it looks very tight under there, would it be wise to install a new oil pump since the pan is off?
Any other suggestions ?? Jeep has 116k
Thanks

I am about to start this process on my 05, first step is going to be to de-grease and clean the entire lower portion of the engine from valve covers down. I already have the felpro valve cover gasket. I am going to do the valve cover first and then see about rear main seal. I have read a bunch about the valve cover is really the problem and it just leaks near the rms so I am going to see about the rms leak after I know about the valve cover being dry. I am not sure I am going to replace the oil pump unless I don't like what I see. You do need to drop the front of the exhaust to get the oil pan out.

I get a drip near the front and maybe I will get lucky with the valve cover only but suspect that isn't the only place. Would be nice if the exhaust bolts were easy to get to but it is what it is.

a drip near the front of the engine? or in front of the tranny where it meets the engine? I would start with the felpro valve cover gasket then go from there.....at least in So. Cal you probably don't have rusty bolts to deal with, I am really afraid if I need to remove my exhaust the bolts as they are going to be tough. Please do a search and read up on the valve cover removal, kind of a PIA by the firewall.

They usually break so be prepared for that, may also want to remove the O2 sensors as a precaution. Soak those bolts for a day if you can.
Most of my oil and grime build up is at the front of the motor.

They usually break so be prepared for that, may also want to remove the O2 sensors as a precaution. Soak those bolts for a day if you can.
Most of my oil and grime build up is at the front of the motor.
Then I really don't think it could be the rear main seal, oil pan leak? but if it is starting up high it is the valve cover

Gaskets are cheap and the tasks are not too arduous. The exhaust bolts will surely break, count on it. Just replace them. Broken bolts build character. Staring at the top first makes sense, but Murphy always insists there is at least one more problem you didn't plan for.

I did the valve cover already on my 05 was a little bit of a pain but if you remove the bolts on the driver side that secure that stupid bridge it was not too bad. I still need to do the rear main seal...I was under it and getting to the cat bolts looks ridiculous and the front one is really not budging...I might punt this to my mechanic, hand him my parts and pay him the well deserved $400 - $500 in time to do it right.

Reactions: Flivver250