Oil leaks

mlh826

Had the TJ for about 3 weeks. Should I be worried?
a54939fb72023c231250affa6c60e8e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's either the rear main seal or the rear of the valve cover gasket. Both of them are pretty straight forward jobs and not that complicated (compared to most vehicles). Those leaks are decent sized, so while I wouldn't be gravely worried, I'd be topping off oil every week or so, and I'd prepare to fix them in the coming months if possible.

it is just marking it's territory, all English cars do that. get under it and see if it is engine, tranny, diffs? If it is back of engine, start with the valve cover gasket (felpro) before moving on the rms. As Chris said above monitor the fluids till you can track it down.

Leaking underbelly helps the rusts at bay.
I still have RMS leaks to both of my TJs even I already attempted to fix them and so, like T Crawford says: they are just showing whose the boss.

@woody367 I have a 97 2.5, no engine leaks. Regarding the valve cover gasket, yours should be rubber, with metal sleeves where the valve cover bolts go.
Don't throw it away, clean both sides, (if it's cork, toss it in 'File 13').
You can reuse the rubber gasket, just clean both sides well, and use lacquer thinner also on the engine where the gasket sits.
Torque to specks, mine, still no leaks after 12k miles :)

Last edited: