Oil Pan Bolts and Configuration

Captainchad

Ok yall. My son has a 1999 with the 4 cylinder and while on deployment (he is a marine) his wife decided to fix the oil leak on his Jeep. She pulled the oil pan and didnt take note which bolts went were and when she put the thing back together it still leaks and the bolts are not all there now or in the proper place. My question is do any of yall know which location the bolts go in and where to find a replacement kit for the bolts? I am repairing it now and want to do it right. I'll also have some questions about the door later on. It wouldn't open from the outside so she took it apart and now it wont latch when closing. Thanks for any and all replies.

On the door, I've taken them apart on my TJ and replaced some of the plastic connectors. Go on youtube and there are a bunch of videos pulling them apart. I would bet if you do that, you'll see where something is not connected. The latch area may need to be reset etc, I don't recall messing with that area or needing to. Just the bars and how they connected.

I have a 6 cylinder so no help on the oil pan bolts. My son's Army and I have his 08 JK here, so I get wanting to get it done right while he's gone, good luck. Someone here will have the answer or a video.

Reactions: Captainchad
Ok yall. My son has a 1999 with the 4 cylinder and while on deployment (he is a marine) his wife decided to fix the oil leak on his Jeep. She pulled the oil pan and didnt take note which bolts went were and when she put the thing back together it still leaks and the bolts are not all there now or in the proper place. My question is do any of yall know which location the bolts go in and where to find a replacement kit for the bolts? I am repairing it now and want to do it right. I'll also have some questions about the door later on. It wouldn't open from the outside so she took it apart and now it wont latch when closing. Thanks for any and all replies.
This video below is the best I could find on a 4 cylinder oil pan removal/install. Go to minute 7:34 on the video and pause it. You will see a complete layout of the bolts. Hope this helps. Also, you should consult the FSM to make sure that you are installing the bolts to the proper torque setting.

One more item that might be of help is the FSM. You can see where the larger diameter bolts go (4). They are labeled 5/16". Also, not trying to insult you, but keep in mind that these torque values are in inch pounds.

Attachments

• FSM.pdf
    528.6 KB · Views: 102
Be very careful with the torque value on the bolts that fasten into the timing cover as the cover is not cast iron like the block and are easy to strip out.

This video below is the best I could find on a 4 cylinder oil pan removal/install. Go to minute 7:34 on the video and pause it. You will see a complete layout of the bolts. Hope this helps. Also, you should consult the FSM to make sure that you are installing the bolts to the proper torque setting.

This is the best video thank you for the info!

On the door, I've taken them apart on my TJ and replaced some of the plastic connectors. Go on youtube and there are a bunch of videos pulling them apart. I would bet if you do that, you'll see where something is not connected. The latch area may need to be reset etc, I don't recall messing with that area or needing to. Just the bars and how they connected.

I have a 6 cylinder so no help on the oil pan bolts. My son's Army and I have his 08 JK here, so I get wanting to get it done right while he's gone, good luck. Someone here will have the answer or a video.

Thank you sir! I'll be tackling that as soon as I get this oil pan secured. Please tell your son thank you for his service from me and my family.