Oil Pan Skid Plate: Pros and Cons?

I'm running the Tomkin that can be found here:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/tomken/under-carriage-skid-plate-
I like how the front attaches via a crossmember that attaches to the frame. It has taken many direct hits and keeps on rocking. The skid row is nice as well.

Sure, I'll do so tonight. The front is really the only interesting part. The rear just attaches with 2 bolts on the transfer case skid. I've run it on the stock skid and now a Barnes bolt on skid. I'll take pics of both though.

Thanks.

Where the rear attaches interests me because I do not have a stock crossmember and want to figure out whether it will be an easy install or whether I'm going to have to modify something. Pictures of the front attachment points and the area around the exhaust will also be interesting to me because my exhaust is not stock from the engine back and it would be a real drag to buy one of these and have interference issues.

Right now I'm leaning toward a UCF aluminum skid for less weight, but I've used Tomken products on CJ's with great success and try to patronize the "OG" aftermarket jeep parts suppliers when I can.

Do you think a Fumoto or similar oil pan drain valve would fit between the oil pan and the Tomken skid?

Thanks.

Where the rear attaches interests me because I do not have a stock crossmember and want to figure out whether it will be an easy install or whether I'm going to have to modify something. Pictures of the front attachment points and the area around the exhaust will also be interesting to me because my exhaust is not stock from the engine back and it would be a real drag to buy one of these and have interference issues.

Right now I'm leaning toward a UCF aluminum skid for less weight, but I've used Tomken products on CJ's with great success and try to patronize the "OG" aftermarket jeep parts suppliers when I can.

Do you think a Fumoto or similar oil pan drain valve would fit between the oil pan and the Tomken skid?
Gotcha. I had to drill 2 holes in the Barnes skid and getting to the nuts to tighten was a little tight, but nothing crazy. I would assume that would be fine with a UCF (the flat one is on my wishlist). The front is close to the pitman arm/draglink tierod attachment, but clears fine. I think a Fumoto drain valve would fit no problem. I have plenty of clearance right now, but when I tuck it fully I think there would still be over an inch or more of clearance.

Ok, here are the pics of my Tomkin engine skid:

4171B4FC-B2C5-43D0-AE90-0044A5D48AFC.jpeg

BFEA9B62-7DA1-4F58-99A3-6C88494275AC.jpeg

65AECF62-C8AD-4EE2-81F2-435E01CB4327.jpeg

EDD516B3-FAEA-43B0-A221-D66EE6DA30AA.jpeg

DD6EE402-9C5F-4A5F-B1ED-863146422FF5.jpeg

I've run it on the stock skid and now a Barnes bolt on skid. I'll take pics of both though.
I have a question regarding this skid. Does having it mounted to the stock TC skid help eliminate some of the undesirable characteristics of "the shovel"? Seems like it might. What say you?
Also, do you happen to know what's the weight of that skid?

Last edited:
I'm running the Tomkin that can be found here:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/tomken/under-carriage-skid-plate-
I like how the front attaches via a crossmember that attaches to the frame. It has taken many direct hits and keeps on rocking. The skid row is nice as well. Plus it works with 4.0 and 2.5 equally well.

"TJ 97-06 UNDER CARRIAGE SKID PLATE Covers oil pan and transmission Made of 3/16 steel plate and 5/8 soild steel ribs Bolt on Powder coated black Must have 3" of lift "

Seems like a good skid plate except for having to have a three inch lift. I wonder why.

Reactions: Squatch
3" lift meaning spring lift? That doesn't seem relevant to a frame mounted guard, unless the clearance is needed for the front pumpkin. Could you get a pic of the front axle showing clearance to the skid? And how much spring lift do you run? That seems like a really good design!

Reactions: matkal
I have a question regarding this skid. Does having it mounted to the stock TC skid help eliminate some of the undesirable characteristics of "the shovel"? Seems like it might. What say you?
Also, do you happen to know what's the weight of that skid?
Yes it does for sure. I had it on the stock skid first and I went through some mud that would normally have gotten stuck in there and it just slid on through. It's all steel so I would guess it's about 30lbs or so, but you can just call them up and they should give you a better answer. They are very friendly and easy to work with.

Reactions: Squatch
3" lift meaning spring lift? That doesn't seem relevant to a frame mounted guard, unless the clearance is needed for the front pumpkin. Could you get a pic of the front axle showing clearance to the skid? And how much spring lift do you run? That seems like a really good design!
They mean spring lift. I believe this is for front track bar and exhaust clearance. I have a small truss and I still have clearance at full stuff.

"TJ 97-06 UNDER CARRIAGE SKID PLATE Covers oil pan and transmission Made of 3/16 steel plate and 5/8 soild steel ribs Bolt on Powder coated black Must have 3" of lift "

Seems like a good skid plate except for having to have a three inch lift. I wonder why.
I was looking at this skid last night, and never even noticed that. Glad you pointed that out!