Oil plug doesn’t come out

JohnnySombero

Supporting Member
I was gonna change the oil today on my ‘98 Sport. When I put pressure on the wrench to remove the plug there was a pop. I can now move the plug in either direction with just my fingers. It moves very freely, doesn’t go in, doesn’t come out. Thankfully, it’s not leaking. I’ve not had the pan off of a 4.0, but I guess there is something like a nut fastened inside for the plug to screw into that has come unfastened. Dropping the pan with a full load of oil will be interesting, but I guess that’s what I’ll do and try to MIG weld it back. August is hot, gonna wait until it cools off.

• Wow
Reactions: TJ Starting
Sounds like the nut inside the pan broke free..I would monitor it very closely it will no doubt leak..for a temp fix I would use an expanding rubber plug or something else to make sure you don't lose oil

How would he get the rubber plug in there?
Like this
Screenshot_20210731-144553_Chrome.jpg

IF your Jeep is of stock ride height; removing the oil pan will require Jacking up the Jeep allowing the suspension to hang and disconnecting the exhaust pipe....
I believe there is a bung (threaded bushing) that is brazed into the pan; I am surprised there is no leak...
When you drive the Jeep;once the pan and oil heat up the leak may start.

IF your Jeep is of stock ride height; removing the oil pan will require Jacking up the Jeep allowing the suspension to hang and disconnecting the exhaust pipe....
I believe there is a bung (threaded bushing) that is brazed into the pan; I am surprised there is no leak...
It is an extruded sheet metal tube that is threaded in the middle of a piece that is then spot welded to the inside of the pan. He won't get the drain plug far enough out most likely to do anything except make a mess.

Reactions: CharlesHS
You understand the stock plug is still in the hole right?
I understood that yes..I was assuming at some point he would need to remove it and could use the expanding plug for a temp fix instead of having to drop the pan. I promise you there is a way to get the plug out just gotta be creative...did you come here to try and poke holes in my plan or do you actually have something to add?

It’s stock height. Sounds like more work than I initially thought. I need to look for a how-to.

It is an extruded sheet metal tube that is threaded in the middle of a piece that is then spot welded to the inside of the pan. He won't get the drain plug far enough out most likely to do anything except make a mess.
Not sure what else I could do to try to get it out. I think it’s there to stay untiI I drop the pan.

Reactions: TWiG01
I understood that yes..I was assuming at some point he would need to remove it and could use the expanding plug for a temp fix instead of having to drop the pan. I promise you there is a way to get the plug out just gotta be creative...did you come here to try and poke holes in my plan or do you actually have something to add?
There may be a way, I'm not aware of it. Once the sheet metal piece inside the pan turns with the drain plug, you're pretty much screwed. I've watched a few try many shenanigans without success to avoid dropping the pan.

Thanks, fellas. An oil extractor would indeed work for a temporary work-around as long as the plug doesn’t start leaking. I really don’t trust the plug.