Oil plug doesn’t come out

View attachment 268345
$90 temporary fix. There are cheaper versions.
Not that this will help the OP with his current situation, but I love these things. Been using one for about 5 years now, haven’t drained oil since. Might change once I quit moving around, get my forever home & finally get a lift.

Reactions: Fishtaco
View attachment 268345
$90 temporary fix. There are cheaper versions.
These are pretty cool! They used to have industrial coin op self serve ones in some Australian Shell fuel stations in the 1980,s, cost a Dollar but they did away with them :( I didnt know these were available. The ones that you can connect a compressor to are good because like the shop ones you can move the hose in the dipstick hole to the lowest part of the sump and suck up all the gunk.

Not that this will help the OP with his current situation, but I love these things. Been using one for about 5 years now, haven’t drained oil since. Might change once I quit moving around, get my forever home & finally get a lift.
So its working good for you? I have no off street parking and its a bit dodgy when I change my oil from the live lane side, I have to put traffic cones out else I could loose my legs getting out.

They look pretty bullet proof. I bought one to change the transmission fluid/filter in my jk, but since I got my tj two years ago the jk spends more time collecting dust in the garage. I’m close to an oil change in the tj and I’m gonna try it out. YouTube videos show nothing but a few drops left in the pan after using the vacuum pump and pulling the plug. Can’t wait to see.

So its working good for you? I have no off street parking and its a bit dodgy when I change my oil from the live lane side, I have to put traffic cones out else I could loose my legs getting out.
Yes, haven’t had a single problem, used it regularly for about 5 or 6 years for oil changes, coolant, brake fluid. The first couple of times I used it I pulled the drain plug after just to see how much oil it got out, and it was just a few drips.

I’d definitely recommend one to avoid lying on the street. I bought the Astro 9 liter version. When it gets full you just cap it & take it to a shop or parts store to empty.

My only complaint using it on the TJ is that the hoses aren’t long enough to get all the way down the dipstick tube from the ground because of my lift, so I have to set it on a step ladder to get all the way down there. Mild inconvenience.

https://www.astrotools.com/product/manual-fluid-extractor-9-0-liters/

I understood that yes..I was assuming at some point he would need to remove it and could use the expanding plug for a temp fix instead of having to drop the pan. I promise you there is a way to get the plug out just gotta be creative...did you come here to try and poke holes in my plan or do you actually have something to add?
I do try to help, rarely post if not. Have you figured out how to get the plug out without dropping the pan?

OK here is what I would do back in the day on my Baja trips before the paved road.

Get a can of starter fluid.

Spray the area around the plug really good knocking of all the oil and grease.

Use 200 grit to rough up the pan and plug.

You want an area about 4 plus inches around the plug.

Spray started fluid again to clean the surfaces off.

Get some JB weld and put a nice glob over the plug and out on to the pan.

Give it 24 hours to harder up.

For extra piece of mind you could put 5200 on over the whole thing after the JB weld dry's.

I do try to help, rarely post if not. Have you figured out how to get the plug out without dropping the pan?
You realize I'm not the op correct? If I were I would try my best before dropping the pan. Its hard to say without being there and seeing how to go about it. You seem stuck on my replies waiting for me to say something for you to argue about and it's really annoying.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper
A few years ago I bought a 1955 Ford F-100 pickup in which the previous owner had installed a 460 V8 and C6 automatic. He had also installed a front frame clip with Twin I-Beam suspension and power steering. It was a hoot to drive, I tell ya what, but I’m getting off track. I guess he had stripped the drain hole in the pan. He fixed it by welding a big hex nut on the outside of the pan and used a plain bolt for a plug. It didn’t leak a drop and was very sturdy. I keep thinking about that…

Reactions: qslim
A few years ago I bought a 1955 Ford F-100 pickup in which the previous owner had installed a 460 V8 and C6 automatic. He had also installed a front frame clip with Twin I-Beam suspension and power steering. It was a hoot to drive, I tell ya what, but I’m getting off track. I guess he had stripped the drain hole in the pan. He fixed it by welding a big hex nut on the outside of the pan and used a plain bolt for a plug. It didn’t leak a drop and was very sturdy. I keep thinking about that…
A pal of mine in FL did the same thing on an older Bronco. He couldn't get the pan off without pulling the motor apparently, so he just drilled out the bolt & welded a nut on the bottom of the pan. He's a hell of a welder, looked about factory when he was done. Threaded a regular bolt with a gasket he cut from some material & drove it like that for a long time.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing, I'm interested.

Keep us posted on what you end up doing, I'm interested.
Will do. Gonna wait a bit, though. August in SE Texas is hotter than splatter grease. Maybe October. Hoping to get my grown daughter to come over and help. She’s a good helper in cooler weather, not so much when it’s hot. She‘s a Jeeper, drives an ‘06 X.

Reactions: qslim