Oil Pressure Gauge "Check Gauge" Light

k0m0d067

TJ Enthusiast
So my TJ was running pretty much trouble free lately (so yeah, too good to last, right?) but now that the weather here in Melbourne has gotten chilly, I had a couple instances where, after driving a few blocks first thing in the morning, my "check gauges" light would come on, and I'd notice the oil gauge had dropped to zero...It would stay that way for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, then sort itself out, and the warning would go away when the pressure came back up...

Then a few days later, it came on (gauge dropped to zero) and stayed on...after a Google search, I found the method for testing the gauge cluster, and all the gauges and idiot lights worked as intended, but for some reason, afterwards, I started it up, and the gauge came back up to pressure again, so the light didn't come on...for a bit...now it's back on, so I parked it, until I can get it sorted...

I figure best case scenario, it's a pressure sensor, or worst case scenario, it's the pump...when I search for the oil pump I keep seeing these OPDA units, but that's not what I have in mine? Anyone know why? First time I've ever had to mess with it, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I know the gauge doesn't behave like an actual gauge, etc...

I'm about ready to buy the pressure sensor and pump from Rock Auto (only reasonable way to get parts here down under) but they show 2 sensors (one with light, and one with gauge) so I'm not sure which I need? I have a gauge, but as I've heard, it behaves like a light?

Sorry for my confusion...

Reactions: Matt1964
Most likely you only need a new switch. However, the only way to know for sure is to get an oil pressure test gauge and determine the actual oil pressure.

Most likely you only need a new switch. However, the only way to know for sure is to get an oil pressure test gauge and determine the actual oil pressure.

By switch, you mean the pressure sensor?

Also, which do I need? Rock Auto lists one for a light, and one for a gauge :/

Well, if you have the dummy gauge with no numbers, only L and H, it is a pressure switch that closes at 6 PSI.

If you go to the Resources tab on this site you can pull up the MOPAR parts book for your year and get the MOPAR part number to cross reference or possibly order the actual MOPAR part from Rock Auto.

Well, if you have the dummy gauge with no numbers, only L and H, it is a pressure switch that closes at 6 PSI.

If you go to the Resources tab on this site you can pull up the MOPAR parts book for your year and get the MOPAR part number to cross reference or possibly order the actual MOPAR part from Rock Auto.

Not actually seeing a resource tab anywhere :/

Also, the OPDA is the oil pump drive assembly. It is not the pump, it drives the pump. On your year, I think they just call it the cam sensor or synchronizer. If you look on the left side of the engine as you are standing in front of the Jeep, it's sticking out of the engine about halfway back where a distributor would have been on the older models.

Reactions: k0m0d067
1656556742626.png

Reactions: k0m0d067
I had the same problem--added an "auto parts" mounted oil pressure gauge, disconnecting the dash gauge. Pressure is where it should be on the new gauge. I can live with the "check gauges" light as long as I know it's just that issue--all other gauges work fine!

So my TJ was running pretty much trouble free lately (so yeah, too good to last, right?) but now that the weather here in Melbourne has gotten chilly, I had a couple instances where, after driving a few blocks first thing in the morning, my "check gauges" light would come on, and I'd notice the oil gauge had dropped to zero...It would stay that way for maybe 15 to 20 seconds, then sort itself out, and the warning would go away when the pressure came back up...

Then a few days later, it came on (gauge dropped to zero) and stayed on...after a Google search, I found the method for testing the gauge cluster, and all the gauges and idiot lights worked as intended, but for some reason, afterwards, I started it up, and the gauge came back up to pressure again, so the light didn't come on...for a bit...now it's back on, so I parked it, until I can get it sorted...

I figure best case scenario, it's a pressure sensor, or worst case scenario, it's the pump...when I search for the oil pump I keep seeing these OPDA units, but that's not what I have in mine? Anyone know why? First time I've ever had to mess with it, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I know the gauge doesn't behave like an actual gauge, etc...

I'm about ready to buy the pressure sensor and pump from Rock Auto (only reasonable way to get parts here down under) but they show 2 sensors (one with light, and one with gauge) so I'm not sure which I need? I have a gauge, but as I've heard, it behaves like a light?

Sorry for my confusion...

I installed these. Not truly necessary but I install gauges on all my vehicles.

Amazon.com: GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Plate Thread Adapter - 3/4-16 Thread - Install up to (4) 1/8-27 NPT Oil Pressure & Temperature Sensors - Includes O-Ring & Port Plugs: Automotive

Buy GlowShift Oil Filter Sandwich Plate Thread Adapter - 3/4-16 Thread - Install up to (4) 1/8-27 NPT Oil Pressure & Temperature Sensors - Includes O-Ring & Port Plugs: Replacement Parts - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Black Dash Mounted Gauge Pod for 97-06 Wrangler TJ
https://www.quadratec.com/products/12500_201.htm

Amazon.com: EAG Black Dash Mounted Gauge Pod for 97-06 Wrangler TJ SE : Automotive

Buy EAG Black Dash Mounted Gauge Pod for 97-06 Wrangler TJ SE: Body - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: AUTO METER 2634 Z-Series Electric Oil Pressure Gauge, 2-1/16" (52.4mm): Automotive

Buy AUTO METER 2634 Z-Series Electric Oil Pressure Gauge, 2-1/16" (52.4mm): Oil Pressure - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Amazon.com: AUTO METER 2635 Z-Series Electric Water Temperature Gauge : Automotive

Buy AUTO METER 2635 Z-Series Electric Water Temperature Gauge: Water Temp - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases
www.amazon.com

Last edited: