Oil Pressure Guage reading intermittent pressure drop.

BoldlyGoing

TJ Addict
So, for the last few weeks, I’ve had an issue where the oil pressure Guage just randomly drops to zero. No real consistency on when it happens.

As soon as I get the RPM’s back up, it goes back to normal. Or, sometimes it just decides to go back to normal again.

Anyone else had this problem? Maybe a bad Guage/sending unit/etc?

More than likely the oil pressure sender is failing. I had to replace mine due to similar symptoms. I picked up a new one from the local dealer for maybe $40 and it solved it. (its been more than a year so I forgot the exact price, but it wasn't too much.)

Reactions: The Real Lxxtsy
Strange. Something very similar has started happening with my Jeep in the last couple of weeks. My gauge will not drop while driving. When the engine is cold, my gauge will not move at all, even after I let the engine idle for an about a minute. I can turn off the switch and immediately restart, and the gauge works fine until the engine is cold.??????????

Bad oil pressure senders are common, replace it with a Mopar. Aftermarket senders from low end stores like Autozone are just likely to give problems. It took 3 senders from Autozone one Sunday years ago before I finally got one that worked properly.

Bad oil pressure senders are common, replace it with a Mopar. Aftermarket senders from low end stores like Autozone are just likely to give problems. It took 3 senders from Autozone one Sunday years ago before I finally got one that worked properly.

Good to know... I’m actually working next door to a Jeep stealership right now. Easy peezy

I have 1997 with 119,000 and I get low pressure reading at idle no tick/ knocking. Replaced sending sensor and the reading went even more random. Should I look at the oil pump? She runs great other than the oil gauge is all over, the gauge is usually in normal range until warm and drops at idle. I have to admit on this one at a lose.

Same with me. I used a Mopar sensor and now have the same problem. It is random and I can not make it happen.
Same here. Even within the same drive- sitting in traffic today, every time I'm off the gas, it dropped.

Got out of traffic for a bit, then when I got back in traffic (yay Atlanta) it didn't drop again.

Absolutely aggravating.

Have you removed the instrument cluster and cleaned the two connectors that connect to the cluster, that fixed my similar problem I had with the "oil gauge". Also run and instrument cluster test, I bet you will get some communication errors, indicating the connectors might need cleaning.

Have you removed the instrument cluster and cleaned the two connectors that connect to the cluster, that fixed my similar problem I had with the "oil gauge". Also run and instrument cluster test, I bet you will get some communication errors, indicating the connectors might need cleaning.
Have not tried that yet, but it is plausible.

My high beam indicator comes on randomly whether the high beams are on or off. Maybe they're related.

Have not tried that yet, but it is plausible.

My high beam indicator comes on randomly whether the high beams are on or off. Maybe they're related.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but my high beam indicator comes on randomly now too. Just started last week.

That could be related not only to the connectors needing some cleaning, but a bad multifunction switch also.