Oil pump pickup tube / screen replacement

jwilkinson01

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
The screen on my oil suction tube is looking pretty bad, how hard is it to replace the tube? I saw mention of a special tool needed but no other details and not sure if it’s the case for all years. This is a 4.0 from an 04

I think because of the shape of the tube, there’s a tool made to install it easier. I’ve seen this on Amazon. Kind of expensive but looks like it could be DIY’d if you have the means.

Melling MCAT-62 Oil Pump Screen Installation Tool https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A69QI2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

IMG_7759.jpeg

Reactions: MountaineerTom
Thanks Tom, so a special tool is required, thanks for confirming, for the price of the tool I can replace the whole pump.

I’ve never done the job, but I don’t know that it’s required. Probably just helps keep things lined up and straight when you’re tapping it in.

Thanks Tom, so a special tool is required, thanks for confirming, for the price of the tool I can replace the whole pump.

On a Small Block Chevy pickup tube , I have used a open end wrench that matches the tube O.D. then use a hammer to tap the tube into the oil pump body.
Never had a AMC 6 banger apart so I can't confirm this would work.

On my 2002 and 2005 when I replaced the pumps I needed a tool to install the tube into the pump body. It's pressed in with a tight fit. I was able to use a crows foot wrench over the tube and an extension to hammer it in. That Melling tool looks nice. Just hard to justify for something used so infrequently.

I did it w/o the tool, although I couldn't tell you what all was involved.