Ok, time for lets argue about your favorite shocks

Just finished my first drive with the new blackmax shocks and I can definitely say they are my favorite. Do an outstanding job with all the small events like potholes and such. The movement is very controlled and at no point was it harsh.

There’s a large bump at an intersection near my house that I usually hit going around 40mph. With the OME I just replaced it’d be a large harsh event that would almost cause my rear suspension to bottom out and then rebound a few times before settling. These shocks were much more controlled and transmitted a lot less harshness to the cab. Had virtually no excessive rebounding.

I’d say these are at the top of my list for recommending shocks, next would be the ranchos 5000x, then probably OME, bilstein and the worst shock I’ve owned were the RCs.

That being said, for non outboarded custom tuned foxes, Id go with blackmaxs 10/10 times if their travel numbers are appropriate. If they aren’t then I’d go with ranchos and wouldn’t be disappointed in that route either.

Looking forward to seeing how they do off-road as well.
thanks for the feedback! I think I'll give them a go. Especially considering the price with the rebate just about 200 bucks.

Reactions: imahnu
Difficult in what way?
Two things are being described that don't often overlap. Heavy damping can be harsh due to the valving not allowing the shock to move. Light damping that allows to fast of movement leading to full compression can also be described as harsh, but the events are very different. But large shock movements that do not lead to full compression (or full extension) wouldn't necessarily be described as harsh.

Two things are being described that don't often overlap. Heavy damping can be harsh due to the valving not allowing the shock to move. Light damping that allows to fast of movement leading to full compression can also be described as harsh, but the events are very different. But large shock movements that do not lead to full compression (or full extension) wouldn't necessarily be described as harsh.
Ahh I see. I would say with the OME shocks, it feels like there’s too much resistance on the compression stroke but at the same time it also feels like the blackmaxs had less movement due to their being noticeably less movement in the cab. So I can see what you mean. It could be that the BM shocks are moving just as much as the OME shocks are, it just feels more controlled and the cab doesn’t move as much. If that makes sense?

A few weeks ago I took a video of the OME shocks in the rear going over that particular bump. One day when it’s still light out I’ll do the same with the BMs and see if there is a visual difference between them.

Reactions: Jmac00 and jjvw
I have been hosing the body mounts and shock bolts with BP Blaster for a week now, and I noticed the body mount bolts are IN the frame, similar to the rear shock. so if I break a bolt off, this is going to turn into a shit-show real fast, or, Im going to become an expert at screw extraction. 🤬
Or, Im going to use a hole saw and put a hole in the frame so I can get to the nuts welded to the inside of the frame.

anyone heard of KYB MONOMAX MONOTUBE? I never heard of them?
Someone who I trust with shock assessments has said they are surprisingly not terrible for a bolt on shock. I wish more would try them, along with the KYB silver bodied shocks.

Just ordered rancho’s

B1A5126F-04BC-4930-9A91-E664621D3FB6.png

Reactions: Jmac00
I just installed the Rancho's.. based on the never-ending recommendations here. Replaced a set of RC N3 installed by the PO.

The Rancho's are fine but not THAT much better of an on-road ride than the N3's. If the price was much more I would be disappointed but as far as TJ things go, it was a relatively inexpensive endeavor.

Reactions: TRE3TOP and rasband
I just installed the Rancho's.. based on the never-ending recommendations here. Replaced a set of RC N3 installed by the PO.

The Rancho's are fine but not THAT much better of an on-road ride than the N3's. If the price was much more I would be disappointed but as far as TJ things go, it was a relatively inexpensive endeavor.
I agree with you 100%. The Rancho shocks on a lighter Jeep ride like shit. I might try Black maxx if Irun will install them for me.

Believe me, after 17 Jeeps and trying every lower budget shock, they all SUCK. The higher priced budget ones do too.
p.s. It all boils down to opinions on ride quality......Just like "Best" tires. Everyone knows Patagonia Tires are #1. JJVW in God I trust. all other must die. :unsure:

Last edited:
I have been hosing the body mounts and shock bolts with BP Blaster for a week now, and I noticed the body mount bolts are IN the frame, similar to the rear shock. so if I break a bolt off, this is going to turn into a shit-show real fast, or, Im going to become an expert at screw extraction. 🤬
Or, Im going to use a hole saw and put a hole in the frame so I can get to the nuts welded to the inside of the frame.
Don’t cut holes in your tub (I think that is what you mean). I have removed these nuts from three frames now and while it is a pain, it’s definitely doable without having to cut access holes. Use a dremel or straight die grinder with a cutting disc to remove as much of the weld from the nut as you can (you won’t be able to get all of it). Then start hitting the nut from different angles with a long straight punch. Then hit it from the bottom up with a punch. Go back and forth until the welds finally yield. It will probably take 10-30 minutes per nut.

I agree with you 100%. The Rancho shocks on a lighter Jeep ride like shit. I might try Black maxx if Irun will install them for me.
I’m not trying ANYTHING else for a while. I. A took a good set of shocks out just because. I’m not unhappy with the Rancho shocks it’s just another case of ‘your mileage may vary’.

Reactions: TheBoogieman