Old Man Emu “A” and “B” Springs

pdxjeep

I recently put OME springs on my 2005 TJ and completed the 2” lift and got it aligned. I stumbled on a discussion on A and B side for the OME springs - of course after all done. No instructions in the box so I just did the swap. I crawled under and found the stickers and sure enough very small there is an A and B. Wouldn’t you know - I likely set it up accidentally opposite or accidentally correct. I have A on the passenger side front and A on the driver side Rear. Do I have to swap again? I love doing things multiple times!

In all fairness, I had the OME springs on my old black TJ Rubicon and I installed them never knowing there was an A and B spring. In fact, I didn't know anything whatsoever about this until you just posted it.

So either I got lucky in my install, or this is just made up mumbo jumbo. Does it actually say something about this in the instructions?

Hmmm, I didn't know anything about this until today.

Maybe someone like @ac_ can chime in.

I just installed my OME springs with the fronts in the fronts and the rears in the rear. Never had any issues whatsoever.

Reactions: ac_
Put the springs where they need to be. On several sets on mine, the long springs always ended up both on the passenger side.

I bought the OME lift from DPG Offroad and they sent along their own instructions and tips and the A and B springs are supposed to go in specific locations. I still have the document but not with me, and I don't remember which was which....but I do remember it said that all TJs are different and that if the vehicle didn't sit level after installing as directed, to swap A/B to their opposite locations.

I installed mine as instructed and everything's level. So, in the end, it seems like if your TJ is level the way you installed them, you should be good regardless.

Measure to see if your TJ is level. If it is, then you're golden. This is the difference between a rear A and B spring, so they are different.
P1050085.JPG

Typically these springs are made in Australia. So they drive on the other side of the rig. They made A B springs because they are assuming that there will be more weight on the rights side with the Battery and the driver and what ever the driver carries behind them. They figured it will level out the Jeep, but here in the US we drive on the other side so the rule of thumb is have the taller spring in the front where the driver is and the taller spring in the rear pass side, but as @bobthetj03 it could differ based on the Jeep, but really even if you got it wrong it is going to be hardly noticeable and you wont notice it driving it.

I did mine as I suggested above, but I have dual batteries at 50 lbs each so I have 100 lbs more on my passenger side than most Jeeps. So I probably could have gotten away with putting both tall on either side on mine. But like I said as @bobthetj03 indicated once you get it installed if it is to far off you can swap them side to side.

Honestly I know guys who didn't know anything about the AB and just slapped them in willy nilly and never had any issues.

My opinion is they are barely 1/2 inch different. At worst you will get about a 1/2 inch offset and you won't even notice that without a tape. Most likely your flares are off and will make it look off before you even see what the springs are doing.

Also don't get hung up on how it looks right when you put it on. I mean you will see the lift and get excited as you should, but it may sit one way or the other till they settle down. I mean i would give a couple of months before letting you OCD kick in.

One last thing if it does drive you crazy make sure you are looking on flat ground because with the short wheelbase you will look off on uneven ground regardless.

I hope this helps, and post pics!

Reactions: bobthetj03
I installed mine per the DPG instructions that they sent. The taller spring on the drivers side in the front and the taller spring on the passengers side in the rear. They do state that all Jeeps and yours may work better with them opposite.