Old, ugly, cranky

22cathell22

Wife wants wrangler. She wants the two door type with auto. Have just owned sport rides. Know nothing on jeeps. Thinking of 2015-2017. Kinda like idea of new but am open to lower mileage rides. Any input would be great. Let me show you all my knowledge on jeeps, what does JK stand for, ok enough.

Reactions: StG58
You may get a bit of bias from this forum since it is a Jeep Wrangler TJ forum (the TJ was produced from 1997-2006). The JK was produced from 2007-2018 (still in production). Again, there will be bias here since it is a TJ forum, but many members here include both a TJ and a JK (such as @StG58) and they can give you a little insight on both

I'll sum it up like this:

If you want the newer, modern, lower mileage vehicle with all the safety feature, sensors, and bells and whistles, get the JK. Stock versus stock, the JK is more capable off-road than the TJ (though it's also largely dependent on the driver), but not by that much I would say.

If you want the older vehicle with less sensors, less crap to break, and just the bare minimum, get a TJ. A TJ in my opinion is the last of the classic looking Wranglers. They have much less on them to go wrong than the JK, however, they also don't have as much power as the JKs (though it's not bad if you get the 6 cylinder model), but they are much, much easier to fix and work on yourself (if you're into that sort of thing). A clean TJ will hold it's value extremely well, and they can still be found pretty easily with 30k miles or less (though you'll pay more).

You can't go wrong with either, honestly. I suggest driving both and seeing which one you prefer. The JK (even the 2 door) is noticeably larger than the TJ, which is much smaller and more compact.

BTW, the YJ, TJ, and JK chassis designations don't mean anything. They're just terms to identify each generation of Wrangler.

When I first read the title I thought this thread was about Me!

My op is get what you like. If you want a Jeep to do add on and play with, with out messing the integrity of the basics then an older TJ, it can be modified in many ways.
A JK can have bolt on accessories but are expensive to get repaired and the buying prices are quite different. on each

If you want character and soul buy a TJ...but its a love affair with deep pockets and oily hands.
If you want the same as everyone else's , plastic fantastic , see one on every corner Jeep, buy a JK.

Make sure if you want a newer JK to go with the stuff starting around 2011? when the 3.8L minivan engine went away and they started putting in the 3.6 PentaStar engine. The PentaStar is a much improved engine over the older 3.8 --this newer engine was simplified and I remember they eliminated over 100 parts in it.

What has not been discussed is how you folks want to use the Jeep- will it be a daily driver and never go off road or will it spend a fair amount of time on narrow rocky trails? If ride comfort is prime consideration then the JK will be best but I like my TJ/LJ for it's narrower/shorter track for narrow mining road trails and it's simplicity. I added a few things to make it more off road capable similar to a Rubicon.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Make sure if you want a newer JK to go with the stuff starting around 2011? when the 3.8L minivan engine went away and they started putting in the 3.6 PentaStar engine. The PentaStar is a much improved engine over the older 3.8 --this newer engine was simplified and I remember they eliminated over 100 parts in it.

What has not been discussed is how you folks want to use the Jeep- will it be a daily driver and never go off road or will it spend a fair amount of time on narrow rocky trails? If ride comfort is prime consideration then the JK will be best but I like my TJ/LJ for it's narrower/shorter track for narrow mining road trails and it's simplicity. I added a few things to make it more off road capable similar to a Rubicon.

New engine started in 2012, but early on had head problems. Look for 2013+ if wanting a JK. The 3.8L is a dog.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
Good advice here, so far.

If hyour wife is going to street a Wrangler, then the JK from 2013 to 2018 is the way to go. Be aware that there are quality issues with the tops, both soft and hardtops on the JK. If they leak, it's a hard thing to get figured out. There are also little quirks with the JK that can stop you dead in your tracks if they happen to you. Things like the oil filter anti-drainback valve breaking. You're not going to want to take it to a fast lube place for an oil change. The 2012 heads can be an issue, but so far the wife's JKU hasn't developed that problem. JK's are great road trip vehicles. TJ's can do road trips as well, but excell at beach, off road and short trips in the woods. You can fix pretty much anything on a TJ. You can on a JK as well, but you're going to need a good code reader and skills at some point to do it. Budget for specialty tools and a OBDII program with the JK. Or find a good Jeep shop that you can trust and let them monkey with it.

If you want to hit the Forest Service Roads and BLM roads in Eastern Washington in it, the JK should do just fine. If you are going to head west and start exploring the Cascades a TJ or a two door JK is probably a better choice.

If you are not going on anything tougher than FSR's and BLM roads, any JK will suffice. If you're going to go further afield get a Rubicon, add tires and a good winch and call it good. If you like to tinker, get a TJ and build away! For the weather in your area, a soft top would be a huge bonus! (half doors too, but good luck finding a JK with half doors)

If you spend days on the freeway, go with a JK. Drive both though. The simplicity of the TJ just might appeal to your wife.

Wife wants wrangler. She wants the two door type with auto. Have just owned sport rides. Know nothing on jeeps. Thinking of 2015-2017. Kinda like idea of new but am open to lower mileage rides. Any input would be great. Let me show you all my knowledge on jeeps, what does JK stand for, ok enough.
Old, ugly, cranky!!! Thought you were talking about me....

Reactions: JMT and Chris
So...what did you end up doing, if anything?