• Want to add an app icon for this forum to your mobile device's home screen? Check out this thread to see how.
  • Have an event you want to share? Check out the new forum event calendar and how-to use it in this thread here.
  • To both new members and existing members, please read this thread about posting your topics in the correct sub-forum. It makes my job (and my life) a lot easier!

Older M8274 Warn winch?

Twopoint

TJ Pupil ... and all it entails...
Supporting Member
Anybody have an idea what an older fully rebuilt M8274 might be worth? not the -50

Blackjack

TJ Enthusiast
If it is good working and you can pick it up for under $500 you should be doing good.

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Any pics? See if the seller will let you open the case so you can check the conditions of the gears. Expect to spend about $150-200 to service the brake and lower case bushings and bearings.

derekmac

TJ Addict
Ones needing work can fetch $500 easy here. Tack on a couple of hundred more for a working one.

Mr. Bills

TJ Addict
In 1998 I paid $500 for a used Warn 8274 in good working order with mounting plate. It appears that 20 years later the current market rate is the same or more.

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I bought mine a few weeks ago for $400 Canadian with a custom bumper. I ended up selling the bumper for $50. The winch is from 1978 but was in surprisingly good condition. I am currently doing a rebuild with some upgrades - a lot thanks to Blackjack’s thread on Pirate4x4.

-new brake service kit
-new bushings and bearings in the lower housing
-all aluminum parts hand polished
-drum power coated black
-upgraded motor to Warn’s stronger industrial 70865
-Albright contactor to replace the solenoid

21f33cdb39e5fb54b254c8fae9720c31.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackjack

TJ Enthusiast
I bought mine a few weeks ago for $400 Canadian with a custom bumper. I ended up selling the bumper for $50. The winch is from 1978 but was in surprisingly good condition. I am currently doing a rebuild with some upgrades - a lot thanks to Blackjack’s thread on Pirate4x4.

-new brake service kit
-new bushings and bearings in the lower housing
-all aluminum parts hand polished
-drum power coated black
-upgraded motor to Warn’s stronger industrial 70865
-Albright contactor to replace the solenoid

View attachment 91289

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have much more patience than I to be polishing up those old castings. Should be a looker though when you are done.

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
You have much more patience than I to be polishing up those old castings. Should be a looker though when you are done.
It cost me $80 for a local metal polishing guy to do it for me. Apparently the new 8274 have cheaper casting so won't polish up the same. You gotta love the Made in the USA quality back then.

OP
Twopoint

Twopoint

Supporting Member
I went ahead and picked it up, hearing a number of remarks about the Made in USA is the better model.
I was planning on buying a used one and rebuild it, this one had been done very well and came with synthetic rope.

Last edited:
Reactions: derekmac

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nice, that is a great winch that will last you for a long time. What is the 3 digit date code? It will be stamped on the top of the casing. It has the round clutch release and the metal socket so it will be between 1974-1979.

Any plans yet on how to mount it? I went with the Warn 87675 mounting plate but there are quite a few out there.

OP
Twopoint

Twopoint

Supporting Member
I do not see a 3 digit code stamped anywhere on the casing, the serial # is 363xx
one interesting thing is it says it is Jeep specialized equipment

I am going with the Warn 38671 mounting plate, since I have an OEM style bumper

I have a Northridge 4x4 location a couple of miles for me and got a pretty good price

LJGreg

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Nice find, Warn made a Jeep Specialized 8074 which was basically the 8274 but without the freespool. I am not sure how long they made the Jeep Specialized 8274 but from what I have read there aren't a lot of them out there that date to the 70s (which yours does having the metal socket & round freespool knob). Some people slap a reproduction Jeep Specialized decal onto a non SE 8274 but it would cover up the serial number - so if you have the decal that aligns yours is original.

OP
Twopoint

Twopoint

Supporting Member
looks like I have an original, though the label is a bit more faded

I will have to look again in the light

Reactions: LJGreg