What would an older M8274 Warn winch be worth?

Oh man, I need to go get the working freebie my step dad is gonna give me. That looks so good on the front of a TJ.
I just restored my 8274 and upgraded it. It's a 1975 I got it for 500 bucks. It pulls really fast and looks vintage.
IMG_5738.JPG

Looks great, what all did you do to it other than a newer solenoid pack? Any links you used for ideas or tech as you were doing the upgrade?

Looks great, what all did you do to it other than a newer solenoid pack? Any links you used for ideas or tech as you were doing the upgrade?
I ended up doing the warn 9.5 xp motor upgrade as well. The meant the motor was now stronger, faster, and had a splined shaft as opposed to a keyed shaft like the old ones had. I also rebuilt the brake assembly as well. So although it is a 1975 it is exactly like the new warn 8274-50s but with an even more powerful motor. I pulled a heavy Jk out of a ditch like it was nothing the other day.

Reactions: Wildman
Kewl.....
the 9.5XP motor is what I am planning on along with the newer solenoid pack. I think while I mine torn down I'll install the drain plug and tap the upper housing for a fill plug. Been thinking about adding a rear brace to it also just for good measure. My current winch line is 12+ years old now so I think it is time for new rope. I'll hang onto the old rope to use as a extension when needed.

Reactions: 02GreenTJ
Another good choice is Warn’s industrial line 70865 motor. It has a thermal cut out which you can wire to the contactor or solenoid and I believe the windings are epoxy coated for better waterproofing. That is what I used.

Anybody have an idea what an older fully rebuilt M8274 might be worth? not the -50
I got mine ,not rebuilt , for 450.- $ CDN of a gentleman who rolled his pickup 25 years ago and the winch was the only thing he kept from the truck
- the winch was stored in a dry environment and only the first 75 feet of cable show signs of use
- the remaining 75’ look like they’ve never been touched and it works flawless
- In may case it was a typical word of mouth find, like. : “ Oh,my neighbour has one in his garage”
Lol
- I’d spend 1000.- on a fully rebuilt one, including sealed off contactors
—•|||||•—👋🏿

Reactions: Wildman
For those of you who are looking to rebuild a 8274 you can contact Warn and they will send you a decal pack free of charge. Here is the persons contact information and a picture of the decals that they send you.
20200228_141213.jpg

Myron King|CSR

Warn Industries, Inc.|12900 SE Capps Road|Clackamas, OR 97015

Email|[email protected]|Phone 800-543-9276|

Kewl.....
the 9.5XP motor is what I am planning on along with the newer solenoid pack. I think while I mine torn down I'll install the drain plug and tap the upper housing for a fill plug. Been thinking about adding a rear brace to it also just for good measure. My current winch line is 12+ years old now so I think it is time for new rope. I'll hang onto the old rope to use as a extension when needed.
Get ahold of @Blackjack he is a warn guru! I used his article to build my 8074 into a 8274, I used the warn industrial motor, it’s like 6 or 7 hp which is a major upgrade from the original 2.5 hp