Older Newbie in NE Ohio

Imagineer

A couple months ago I straight up swapped a customized Bandit 1200 for a '97 TJ.

IMG_0708_zpsxkb17tku.jpg

I wasn't really looking to get a Jeep, just looking for a project to occupy my limited spare time. I think (thought) I did well on the trade (but now that riding season is here, I really miss the 140mph Bandit).

Along with the Jeep was a decent stereo and a pair of new aftermarket front fenders (to replace the rusted through OEM fenders). It's a 4cyl/5spd with165k miles and I know it needed tires and exhaust. Since getting into it, I've found the synchro's are near their expiration date and the transfer case is totally fubar. On a better note, the frame is in good shape.

My end goal for this project is basically a decent looking, light duty mall crawler that I can sell for a profit. I don't have the desire, budget or skills to build a mud or rock machine.

So far, I put 16" JK steelies with LT245 tires (including modifying the spare tire carrier). I found a SteelHorse 2-piece hard top. More importantly, I swapped out the gauge bulbs for blue LEDs.

In addition to the necessary mechanical repairs, the list of mods include a 2" budget lift, round LED tail lights, round LED turn signals (similar to that on JKs, I've welded metal plates over the turn signals are on the TJ fenders), 10w LED's in the rear bumper for back up lights. I'm also going to put a roof rack on the hardtop with a basket on it. It's Citron Pearl, which is a great color, but I think I'll target painting it Rescue Green.

That's a cool color! Oh, and welcome to the from!

Looks like there's a bit of rust there on the fender?

Not a 'bit' rusted, they're rotted clean through at the top, both sides. Despite existing for almost 20 years in the salt belt, that's really the only bad rust on the body. The PO included 2 aftermarket fenders along with the Jeep.

I think the TJ front turn signals look a little afterthought, way out on the fenders (although it's probably the better location for them), so I have welded plates over the turn signal openings on the aftermarket fenders and am planning on installing 2.5" round turn signals in the grill, below the headlights (like on JKs). I'm wanting to do something different with the front side markers too, but I haven't decided yet.

Reactions: Chris
Gotcha! Well, at least you got some new fenders with the rig.

And I agree, the stock TJ turn signals do seem like an afterthought. The location of the JK turn signals looks much more natural.

Welcome, and congrats on the project! Looks like the Ohio posse is starting to get as many people as the Oregonians.

Reactions: Chris