Older Viair on board air

AndyG

Because some other guys are perverts
Lifetime Supporting Member
My TJ has the system that has the silver tank that looks sort of like a scuba tank mounted behind the backseat vertically- I’m guessing it was put in around 2003- 2004-

Is the tank essential and what happens if I try to get away from it?

Compressor + tank, or CO2 tank?

Most OBA (compressor) tanks aren't big enough to really help.
You might need a small one if you have an ARB locker.

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
Is the tank essential and what happens if I try to get away from it?
You will lose reserve air capability. It will just run continuously, as filling the tank would do. It would limit using larger volumes of air, for maybe blowing out air filter or such. Just like your pancake compressor at home, it can power a brad nailer for many shots before kicking on, but using a blow gun or air tool it drains it right quick.

Some use their roll bars/tube bumpers for reserve air.

The small tank does nothing for an electric compressor, the reserve it provides is gone in two seconds. There is nothing wrong with loosing the tank. Even if you have lockers you don't need any reserve. The compressor will just cycle a bit and the manifold assembly will work fine to hold the pressure if you don't have leaks.

Reactions: pc1p
You will lose reserve air capability. It will just run continuously, as filling the tank would do. It would limit using larger volumes of air, for maybe blowing out air filter or such. Just like your pancake compressor at home, it can power a brad nailer for many shots before kicking on, but using a blow gun or air tool it drains it right quick.

Some use their roll bars/tube bumpers for reserve air.
It won’t run continuously if you keep the pressure switch in the system.

The small tank does nothing for an electric compressor, the reserve it provides is gone in two seconds. There is nothing wrong with loosing the tank. Even if you have lockers you don't need any reserve. The compressor will just cycle a bit and the manifold assembly will work fine to hold the pressure if you don't have leaks.
That is what I was thinking- By the time it fills up any capacity I could already have my tires re inflated- I have no plans to do anything else substantially with it as far as air use on the trail-

I wondered if I was doing something wrong and I should let the tank build up before I get started on the tires but it seems like it would run just as much refilling the tank.

That would lead me to my next question and that is how do you go from the black hose that goes into the tank to your air outlet in terms of fittings-

Thank you gang.

Reactions: John Cooper
There are a million types of fittings available for air systems. The plastic push to connect are pretty common. Copper and single flare are easy to use if you can bend tube and want hard line that can deal with heat. It's all about what you want, what you can find and what you can afford.

Reactions: AndyG
There are a million types of fittings available for air systems. The plastic push to connect are pretty common. Copper and single flare are easy to use if you can bend tube and want hard line that can deal with heat. It's all about what you want, what you can find and what you can afford.
And what I won’t mess up...😃😃😃😃😝

I’ve got 3 Viairs, a twin ARB and a mini ARB.

The twin is fastest but a no-tank Viair fills just fine.

Reactions: pc1p
My little coiled hose is long enough I think I’m just going to plug the run to the back And go without it- unless that is going to change the game and make the compressor run longer and burn it up tell me so I’ll re think it-

Looks like the first thing you would do is turn on the compressor and fill up the tank and that makes it run a while and then as you use your volume it would continue to run so it seems like the tank would actually increase the run time (??)

Reactions: pagrey
My little coiled hose is long enough I think I’m just going to plug the run to the back And go without it- unless that is going to change the game and make the compressor run longer and burn it up tell me so I’ll re think it-

Looks like the first thing you would do is turn on the compressor and fill up the tank and that makes it run a while and then as you use your volume it would continue to run so it seems like the tank would actually increase the run time (??)
Which model? Some are continuous duty

It seems that the only redeeming factor the tank adds is it dissipates heat generated from compressing air, you might want to use a high heat air hose or a length of braided Teflon hose or you will blow air hoses frequently. ORO uses about 6 feet of 1/2” braided Teflon hose from their York compressor.

It seems that the only redeeming factor the tank adds is it dissipates heat generated from compressing air, you might want to use a high heat air hose or a length of braided Teflon hose or you will blow air hoses frequently. ORO uses about 6 feet of 1/2” braided Teflon hose from their York compressor.
Got ya, thanks Doc.

For those who plumb their Jeeps for air - tank or not - such as front and rear quick connects: What is the material of choice (and size) for the piping these days? Tygon tubing? Rubber flex? Good ol' soft copper with compression or flare fittings? I'm leaning towards Tygon tubing except for where the hot air exits the compressor, although I'm old skool enough to be comfortable with copper.

Last edited:
It seems that the only redeeming factor the tank adds is it dissipates heat generated from compressing air, you might want to use a high heat air hose or a length of braided Teflon hose or you will blow air hoses frequently.
That’s the exact, and only, reason I have a tank plumbed into my OBA system…

Often people assume it’s for volume. Once a person starts filling tires they quickly realize it’s not doing a thing to assist in that endeavor…

Although if a person is running an air tool a tank can definitely give it the grunt needed to get spinning. If the person has a 100% duty cycle compressor, pushing enough cfm, to keep it going that is (not everyone has a York unfortunately, including myself)…