OME 2" lift with heavy duty springs rides harsh

This might've been answered in this thread, but reading through I did not see it. Do the OME HD springs actually give a discernible difference in ride height if one changed them out?

This might've been answered in this thread, but reading through I did not see it. Do the OME HD springs actually give a discernible difference in ride height if one changed them out?
It was my understanding that the HD springs are the same size as the SD springs. They’re just stiffer so they won’t sag under extra weight like aftermarket bumpers, winch, armor, larger spare, etc.

So you wouldn’t gain any extra height by adding the HD springs, but you won’t lose as much height as you would loading down the SD springs.

It was my understanding that the HD springs are the same size as the SD springs. They’re just stiffer so they won’t sag under extra weight like aftermarket bumpers, winch, armor, larger spare, etc.

So you wouldn’t gain any extra height by adding the HD springs, but you won’t lose as much height as you would loading down the SD springs.

This is my understanding as well. If your not adding any aftermarket weight. Your fine with the LD. But if your planning on heavy bumpers, winch, spare etc. etc. HD is the way to go. Personally I'm going to go with HD. As I have some longer type trips in mind. Which will mean loading the Jeep down with alot of camping gear, people etc. etc. Plus I'm adding enough other weight (bumpers, winch etc.) that the HD will get used.

It may be in this thread. But there is a strong argument IIRC that the LD and HD ride the same as well. I think I remember that correctly. Some serious science. Nothing I could recount here. Ask Jerry or Blaine IIRC. Shocks apparently have way more to do with ride quality than springs. But again don't quote me. Read thru this thread and others concerning LD vs HD springs.

This is my understanding as well. If your not adding any aftermarket weight. Your fine with the LD. But if your planning on heavy bumpers, winch, spare etc. etc. HD is the way to go. Personally I'm going to go with HD. As I have some longer type trips in mind. Which will mean loading the Jeep down with alot of camping gear, people etc. etc. Plus I'm adding enough other weight (bumpers, winch etc.) that the HD will get used.

It may be in this thread. But there is a strong argument IIRC that the LD and HD ride the same as well. I think I remember that correctly. Some serious science. Nothing I could recount here. Ask Jerry or Blaine IIRC. Shocks apparently have way more to do with ride quality than springs. But again don't quote me. Read thru this thread and others concerning LD vs HD springs.
I've read all the posts on the ride characteristics, and it seems the major factor affecting that is having the correct shock (valving and length) for the ride height obtained with a certain spring. That's why I asked about the ride height difference being possibly different with the LD vs. HD OME springs. Memory serving correctly, the OME HD front springs and LD front springs are the same free length but different spring rates. The rear OME HD springs are a higher spring rate, but actually a shorter free length than the OME LD rear springs.

The spring rates for the front LD and HD springs are the same (140 lbs/in). The HDs are just longer. The rear LDs are 140 lbs/in and the HDs are 160 lbs/in. The HDs are actually a little shorter. Based upon my blind tests the HDs definitely ride firmer.

Each model OME coils will provide a different ride height.

Last edited:
I dont know if this will help, but here’s a front OME HD spring (2933) next to one of my stock fronts. I don’t remember if it was the A or B spring. It’s the only pic I have on my phone at the time. I may have a similar pick of the rear springs at home on the laptop. I’m pretty sure I do.

81272E4F-767A-464E-A182-8169ACAF8680.jpeg

These are the rear OME HD (2942's), with the stock springs. Hopefully the free length measurements will help someone.

IMG_5044.JPG
IMG_5045.JPG

IMG_5046.JPG