OME 933 / 949 Coil Spring Install (Any Advice?)

SaharaBound

TJ Enthusiast
I just purchased some gently used Heavy Duty OME Coil Springs for my 98 TJ. Right now I just have the factory springs with Rancho 5000x RS55128/240 shocks sitting on 31” BFGs. I wanted heavy because I have a hardtop, full spare, and typically carry a bunch of gear for work and I hope to add a winch in the future.

Just looking to see if anyone has tried this setup or if there is anything else I will need, like bump stop extensions, track bar relocation, etc.

Thanks in advance

4A53A2D6-0C3A-4EE1-A562-94B6C151EE60.jpeg

The 2949 might give you more lift than you want. I run the 2933/2942 combo and the 2942 is rated for 100kgs constant. The 2949 is rated for 200kgs constant, both giving 50mm lift at those constants.

I have a hardtop, 33" spare. and rear seat and net 3.25" with the 10mm OME spacer.

My front with a winch (60lbs) and warn rock crawler bumper (39lbs) nets far less, about 2". So, I added a 1.5" spacer up front. I still have a slight rake.

Every TJ is different though, so hard to say exactly without knowing sprung and unsprung weight front and rear.

Is there any harm in just installing the 2949 and if I do not like the height And/or ride to switch to the 2942. I use my TJ a lot for fieldwork and Camping so it is typically pretty heavy in the rear (120lbs hardtop with roof rack 75lbs capacity, 40bs of water, 40lbs of gas, 31” inch spare (70lbs), rear seat, plus camping/field gear.

A little bit of rack really wont bother me, I just to make sure that my shock and spring combo is plausible or will I need longer shocks and/or relocation brackets for things

Reactions: JMT
With all the added weight you are listing, I'm betting the 2949 might be a good choice. 216 lbf/in vs. 2942's at 160 lbf/in. Wire diameter is only 1.5mm thicker and free height 10mm taller. Might put you just right with all that added weight. Keep in mind, the springs set desired height, shocks take care of the handling performance, so get shocks that give you a good 50/50 bias so the shock has real estate to work its magic.

I am gong to put them and see what happens.

I am going to order Old Man Emu FKWTJ02 Track Bar Relocation Bracket.

Will I need bump stop extensions as well?

I have the 2933/2942 springs.
I have a steel ORFab rear bumper and swing away tire carrier, a heavy spare, and a soft top. The front carries a narrow steel ORFab bumper with a Warn winch. I used a 10mm spacer up front to get 2” of lift front and rear. I have rake. The rear doesn’t sag much more than 1/2” with practical amounts of cargo. Id guess that with that hardtop you probably will be glad to have the 2949.
Can’t hurt much to just give the springs a try. Expect driveline vibrations and lose of caster. Decide how much effort and money you want to throw at those issues to gain 2” of lift.

I am gong to put them and see what happens.

I am going to order Old Man Emu FKWTJ02 Track Bar Relocation Bracket.

Will I need bump stop extensions as well?
Probably, but you'll have to cycle your suspension to see how much. I think I had 2" when I ran 31's on 2933/2942.

Check for that track bar relocation bracket potentially smashing anything above it when the rear is compressed. Bump stops would help there.

As @pagrey said... rent a spring compressor.

When using the compressor... be careful and be safety minded. Make sure the pins are locked.
Also, compress from the center of the springs.

I did a similar 2.5" spring and shock lift... ended up needing 1.25 wheel spacers.

Be sure to cycle your suspension.
I also added 1 inch of bumpstop extensions... hockey pucks actually.

Consider adding sway bar disconnects since your gonna be disconnecting them for the install.

Lastly, be prepared to chase down vibes.

Last edited:
Spring compressors are not needed. Loosen any control arms and track bar bushings. Disconnect the shocks and sway bar. The axles will droop.

Reactions: WHBNM
The rears are fine but it sucks Rancho doesn't make the RS5000X front 12.5" instead of 13" so we could use them stock.
I have been running my ranchos on stock for about 6 months oops haha. So are you saying I am good with the front and rear shocks I have with the OME springs, and then all I should need is the track bar relocation bracket and bump stop extensions?

Is there a preference and/or size of bump stop extensions I should get for the front and rear? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start tearing things apart

Spring compressors are not needed. Loosen any control arms and track bar bushings. Disconnect the shocks and sway bar. The axles will droop.
I have heard they are pretty dangerous too. My Jeep originates from the Midwest rust belt so I will on pblasting days before haha

Last edited:
Get these for the rear,

https://www.quadratec.com/products/16090_1119.htm
These will give you the clearance so the TB relocation bracket doesn't hit the tub at compression. Your 31's shouldn't be the limiter. Shouldn't need any bump extension for the front. Like said earlier, cycling the suspension is best. If for some reason you need more bump in the front, get some hockey pucks. You'll want to drill/tap threads in the lower spring perch up front to add them.

Reactions: JMT