OME Shock Ride Quality: 60046 / 60048 vs 60047 / 60049

deadbeat son

TJ Addict
I see lots of comments from people about harsh riding OME Nitrocharger Sport shocks, but they never specify which model numbers. Occasionally, someone posts that they're very happy with their Nitrocharger Sports. Could this be a difference in the 60046/60048 OME specs for light weight vs 60047/60049 for heavy? Evidently, both sets measure the same lengths open and closed.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nitrocharger shocks were great on our TJs, the problem is they no longer make that model. It was replaced with the much stiffer Nitrocharger Sport that few Wrangler TJ owners like.

TJ/LJ Wrangler Coil Springs
  • Manufacturer::
    Old Man Emu
  • Coil Springs::
    FRONT CONSTANT HEAVY LOAD (200+) (2934) 2.5-3" (2934-TJ )
1$181.39
TJ/LJ Wrangler Coil Springs
    Old Man Emu
  • Coil Springs::
    REAR HEAVY LOAD (200+) 2" (OME-2942-1)
1$181.39
TJ/LJ Wrangler Shocks
    Old Man Emu
  • Shock Options::
    FRONT NITROCHARGER SPORT - STOCK to 3" LIFT (OME-60047)
1$232.80
TJ/LJ Wrangler Shocks
    Old Man Emu
  • Shock Options::
    REAR NITROCHARGER SPORT - STOCK to 3" LIFT (OME-60048)
1$232.80

I put this set up on my Jeep TJ however I am running a winch on front and a HD swing away recovery bumper on back my ride to me is excellent it is not harsh like a dump truck its firm an responsive like a sports car. I believe the answer to your question is not the length its the valving but I am no shock expert, and I give my OME set up 5 stars

Reactions: skrelnik
Nitrocharger shocks were great on our TJs, the problem is they no longer make that model. It was replaced with the much stiffer Nitrocharger Sport that few Wrangler TJ owners like.
I understand that and will update my original post to clarify Nitrocharger Sport. However, that does not address the two different model numbers, which presumably have different valving.

Last edited:
I went with 60047/60049 with the ZJ V8 934 front springs and 949 LJ rear springs on my LJ. They are very firm. In hindsight I wish I would've tried the 60046/60048 with that same spring combo. Even with the heaviest spring combo and heavily loaded (Warn M8274 up front, LJ hard top, 33" spare, 140 lb. in the rear), they seemed to over-dampen. Now that I'm running light, I would say the match is even less ideal.

Reactions: deadbeat son
I look forward to seeing what this thread brings. I had recently purchased 60047L and 60049. But upon arrival, I realized the 60047L is too long for my 2" of bumpstop and the 60047 would be too short. So I ordered BIlstein 5100s. So unfortunately, I will be sending the OME back. But I was really eager to try the OME.

I think a lot of the shock controversy comes from differences in expectations as well as differences in use and needs. And at the risk of derailing the thread into a spring argument, Dirk at DPG, who specializes in OME, will say the people complaining about a stiff ride have the wrong springs. So along with your OME shock #s, please tell us which springs you run, as well as how heavy you are.

Reactions: deadbeat son
My previous TJ was an '01 Sport (Sold in 2012) that had the DPG Ultimate kit with OME 933/942 springs and Nitrocharged shocks, along with a mix of RE upper control arms and Rokmen lower control arms and 32x11.5 BFG KM2s. That Jeep had a perfect ride in all conditions.

My current '05 LJ has the DPG Ultimate kit with 933/942 springs and the 60047/60048 Nitrocharged Sport shocks, along with Metalcloak DA control arms and 31x10.5 BFG KO2s. The ride is perfect on smooth roads, with zero body roll, but definitely jarring if I come across an extreme change in terrain, like a pot hole. Offroad, the ride is very good as long as the road doesn't have corrugation. We don't have rock crawling here in Minnesota but we do have a lot of forrest roads and old logging trails. In these conditions the entire suspension works great.

About a month ago I spoke with Dirk at DPG and he suggested I go with the 932/941 combo. After swapping in the lighter springs, I went for a ride and it was terrible, felt like the springs had been replaced with wet logs. I lost all feel for the road. I also lost 1/4" lift up front and 3/4" in the rear. I gave it a week and about 300 miles before I put the 933/942s back in.

When I went back to the 933/942 springs, I also added the OME 10mm trim pieces up front. Lessening the rake actually made a major difference in ride quality. The ride isn't as good as my previous OME lift in terms of comfort, but the handling is very good.

Both of my Jeep have had stock bumpers front and rear, soft and hard tops. Basically just suspension modifications.

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing what this thread brings. I had recently purchased 60047L and 60049. But upon arrival, I realized the 60047L is too long for my 2" of bumpstop and the 60047 would be too short. So I ordered BIlstein 5100s. So unfortunately, I will be sending the OME back. But I was really eager to try the OME.

I think a lot of the shock controversy comes from differences in expectations as well as differences in use and needs. And at the risk of derailing the thread into a spring argument, Dirk at DPG, who specializes in OME, will say the people complaining about a stiff ride have the wrong springs. So along with your OME shock #s, please tell us which springs you run, as well as how heavy you are.
Will do. It may be a month or so before I'm ready to spin wrenches though; at this point, I'm just collecting parts. My Jeep is pretty light; 6cyl, no AC, half doors, soft top. I'm planning a M8000 with synthetic rope up front with the stock bumper and a LOD or Dirtwerx rear basic bumper. With that, I'm going with 2933/2941 combo, since the 2932 and 2933 are the same spring rate from the charts I've seen. After I get parts bolted on, if I'm able to, I may step down to the 2932 up front; I'd prefer to keep the ride height lower instead of trying to get every last mm of lift out of the springs.

My previous TJ was an '01 Sport (Sold in 2012) that had the DPG Ultimate kit with OME 933/942 springs and Nitrocharged shocks, along with a mix of RE upper control arms and Rokmen lower control arms and 32x11.5 BFG KM2s. That Jeep had a perfect ride in all conditions.

My current '05 LJ has the DPG Ultimate kit with 933/942 springs and the 60047/60048 Nitrocharged Sport shocks, along with Metalcloak DA control arms and 31x10.5 BFG KO2s. The ride is perfect on smooth roads, with zero body roll, but definitely jarring if I come across an extreme change in terrain, like a pot hole. Offroad, the ride is very good as long as the road doesn't have corrugation. We don't have rock crawling here in Minnesota but we do have a lot of forrest roads and old logging trails. In these conditions the entire suspension works great.

About a month ago I spoke with Dirk at DPG and he suggested I go with the 932/941 combo. After swapping in the lighter springs, I went for a ride and it was terrible, felt like the springs had been replaced with wet logs. I lost all feel for the road. I also lost 1/4" lift up front and 3/4" in the rear. I gave it a week and about 300 miles before I put the 933/942s back in.

When I went back to the 933/942 springs, I also added the OME 10mm trim pieces up front. Lessening the rake actually made a major difference in ride quality. The ride isn't as good as my previous OME lift in terms of comfort, but the handling is very good.

Both of my Jeep have had stock bumpers front and rear, soft and hard tops. Basically just suspension modifications.
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the 60046/60048 would get you closer to where you were with the original Nitrochargers.

Also, I wonder how your ride quality changed so much when the 933 and 932 have the same spring rate, there is only 0.6" difference in free height.

Excellant feedback. Thanks for sharing. I would never have thought to put a 933/942 combo on an LJ. That seems way to light to me. But sounds like it worked. I would have used the 949 because its designed for the LJ. And I probably would have had a terrible ride.

Its very interesting to me that you noticed such a difference with springs. I know the specs show they are the same rate, but I did speak with Dirk at one time about springs and shocks and he mentioned the specs may be wrong because he also feels a big difference between the two. He also said the specs on the 934 are documented to be wrong. He said OMEs old books used to show the 934 as 180lbs and now they show 160lbs. So who knows.

In the end, I think if I was going to go with a new OME lift, I would for sure call Dirk and have him put together the spring and lift combo he thinks is best. Usually the people who purchased from Dirk and followed his advice are happy with their setup. People who look at the specs and try to guess for themselves just don't have the experience. And it seems they are often the ones who complain about a stiff ride.

Since I have JKS springs and Bilstien shocks, I don't have a lot more to add here. But I look forward to other peoples opinions on OME. Just in case I decided to try their shocks again in the future.

Will do. It may be a month or so before I'm ready to spin wrenches though; at this point, I'm just collecting parts. My Jeep is pretty light; 6cyl, no AC, half doors, soft top. I'm planning a M8000 with synthetic rope up front with the stock bumper and a LOD or Dirtwerx rear basic bumper. With that, I'm going with 2933/2941 combo, since the 2932 and 2933 are the same spring rate from the charts I've seen. After I get parts bolted on, if I'm able to, I may step down to the 2932 up front; I'd prefer to keep the ride height lower instead of trying to get every last mm of lift out of the springs.
Have you got this set up installed yet? Interested to here how it is going.

And at the risk of derailing the thread into a spring argument, Dirk at DPG, who specializes in OME, will say the people complaining about a stiff ride have the wrong springs.
If Dirk actually said that, and I doubt he really did say exactly that, he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

I've installed it, but I have limited seat time in the Jeep since installing. I haven't had it off road, since I spent time waiting on a regear and now I'm going through the gear break in process.

The Jeep does ride a lot stiffer than stock, and at first I was not pleased. However, after putting my spare tire back on, putting in the back seat, and installing my winch, it did seem to loosen up a bit. I plan to load it up and take it on an off road trip in 3 weeks. I will wait until then to post more in depth thoughts.

One other issue is that I simply have no frame of reference to compare. I've not owned another Wrangler, nor have I ran any different suspensions on this one. I may end up buying a set of Rancho 5000X shocks to do a reasonable back to back comparison. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: UKTJ
Okay, @UKTJ, I finally have some adequate seat time on the softer valved OME shocks and I'm very pleased. I apologize in advance for the lack of technical info, but this is my subjective evaluation.

For background, I assume my Jeep is pretty light. It's a 6 cyl, but has no AC, soft top, and half doors. I have a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope on the stock front bumper with RC winch plate, and a ~39 lb rear aftermarket bumper. I haven't weighed it, but I'll try to get that done within the next couple of months.

When I drive, I'm typically solo (160lbs) or accompanied by my ~50lb 8yo daughter. Not much weight. I was pretty disappointed at first with how stiff the suspension felt after I installed it, but I wanted to hold my judgment until I could actually use it.

Last weekend, I loaded up the Jeep and took a trip off road. I had a ~160lb passenger, and we had a 35qt Yeti cooler, a ~20lb toolkit, a couple of camera bags, and backpacks with a change of clothes and jackets. I figure all in, I was 300 - 400lbs over my standard unloaded weight (including the passenger). Just that small change in weight transformed the ride of the Jeep. We drove 225 miles (about 4 hours) Friday evening on the highway, and the ride was smooth, controlled, and compliant. Saturday, we spent 16 hours driving a mixture of off road and highway. Here's an example of the typical conditions we encountered off road:

IMG_6164.jpg

With my 31" tires aired down to 15psi, the off road ride was smooth; I never once felt like I was getting beat around or wished for softer shocks.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the 60046 / 60048 combo and would recommend them to anyone who has a slightly heavier TJ than I do, or will load it up regularly. As a caveat, this is the sort of trip I bought the TJ for. It's not a daily driver or neighborhood cruiser. My plan is to load it up and use it off highway.

If you have AC, a hard top, and full doors, I would imagine you're most of the way to where they work well, weight wise.

Reactions: Fargo and UKTJ
Okay, @UKTJ, I finally have some adequate seat time on the softer valved OME shocks and I'm very pleased. I apologize in advance for the lack of technical info, but this is my subjective evaluation.

For background, I assume my Jeep is pretty light. It's a 6 cyl, but has no AC, soft top, and half doors. I have a Warn M8000 with synthetic rope on the stock front bumper with RC winch plate, and a ~39 lb rear aftermarket bumper. I haven't weighed it, but I'll try to get that done within the next couple of months.

When I drive, I'm typically solo (160lbs) or accompanied by my ~50lb 8yo daughter. Not much weight. I was pretty disappointed at first with how stiff the suspension felt after I installed it, but I wanted to hold my judgment until I could actually use it.

Last weekend, I loaded up the Jeep and took a trip off road. I had a ~160lb passenger, and we had a 35qt Yeti cooler, a ~20lb toolkit, a couple of camera bags, and backpacks with a change of clothes and jackets. I figure all in, I was 300 - 400lbs over my standard unloaded weight (including the passenger). Just that small change in weight transformed the ride of the Jeep. We drove 225 miles (about 4 hours) Friday evening on the highway, and the ride was smooth, controlled, and compliant. Saturday, we spent 16 hours driving a mixture of off road and highway. Here's an example of the typical conditions we encountered off road:

View attachment 278799

With my 31" tires aired down to 15psi, the off road ride was smooth; I never once felt like I was getting beat around or wished for softer shocks.

I'm thoroughly impressed with the 60046 / 60048 combo and would recommend them to anyone who has a slightly heavier TJ than I do, or will load it up regularly. As a caveat, this is the sort of trip I bought the TJ for. It's not a daily driver or neighborhood cruiser. My plan is to load it up and use it off highway.

If you have AC, a hard top, and full doors, I would imagine you're most of the way to where they work well, weight wise.

Hey OP -

Thanks for sharing your experience! I've been running the RS5000X (like most others). While the ride is plush, it's a little mushy. Plush is more important to me than response, but I can't help but wonder if the OME Sports strike a better balance .

My TJ is certainly on the heavier side. I have a full size bull bar up front with a Warn x9000i (synthetic). In the rear, I have a swing out with an overhead rack, 10lb propane tank, and 5 gal of water. Based on your feedback, I'm guessing the Sports will ride nice considering I have an extra 200lbs up front and 300lbs in the rear.

You still happy with them after a few years of use?