On-Board Air vs Air Intake

j8ksdad

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
We recently purchased our TJ and it came with the OBA mounted where the stock air box goes. It appear the previous owner just hacked off the intake tube and clamped on a cone filter. This seems like the engine is just sucking lots of hot air. I'm looking for recommendations on where I could relocate the OBA so that I can either get an aftermarket, enclosed, air box or factory replacement. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

oba cai.jpeg

One of the standard places for an earlier TJ is the ABS tray in the lower left corner of the engine bay. For later TJs that don’t have the evap canister on the left wheel well you can mount it there.

I did
One of the standard places for an earlier TJ is the ABS tray in the lower left corner of the engine bay. For later TJs that don’t have the evap canister on the left wheel well you can mount it there.

I didn't realize the pic didn't capture that side. I have a California TJ so all the smog crap. I saw the tray up by the firewall on that side and did a quick measurement. It seems like it won't fit there.

I did

I didn't realize the pic didn't capture that side. I have a California TJ so all the smog crap. I saw the tray up by the firewall on that side and did a quick measurement. It seems like it won't fit there.
It has nothing to do with California, they all have all that crap, it just depends on year as to where it's all mounted.

Reactions: j8ksdad
I did

I don’t know if your Viair compressor would fit there but there are others including the dual ARB that will. Do a search on this. You will find plenty of examples.

Reactions: j8ksdad
We recently purchased our TJ and it came with the OBA mounted where the stock air box goes. It appear the previous owner just hacked off the intake tube and clamped on a cone filter. This seems like the engine is just sucking lots of hot air. I'm looking for recommendations on where I could relocate the OBA so that I can either get an aftermarket, enclosed, air box or factory replacement. Thoughts and recommendations appreciated.

View attachment 190395
Better and easier to find and install a used factory air intake system. That little compressor doesn't put out a lot of air, as in it's slow to refill tires, I'd remove it entirely. There are much better alternatives.

And yes that cone filter is only good at passing lots of dirt and fine dust. It's not a good choice for offroad use.

That "little compressor" is just fine. There is no reason to remove it if it is working. If it is a Viair 300 series it will handle 33's. If the 400 series it will handle 35's. It won't be as fast as an engine driven compressor, but a properly sized Viair is by no means "slow" like those little red Chinese compressors or the Harbor Freight version. Viair's are reliable, customer service is decent, and the install (or re-install in this instance) couldn't be simpler.

Viair 300, 400 and 450 series are a bit too long to fit flat on the ABS tray but may fit if bolted at an angle on the rear edge of the driver's side front wheel well.

Here is where I mounted mine:

Compressor Installation.jpg

Looking at OP's photos, the Windstar cowl intake looks like the least work for the best result. That way OP won't need to relocate what appear to be relays for improved headlight wiring from the passenger side fender where the stock airbox would need to go.