One more door removal post

Is the ATF+acetone mixture on that list? Curious where it ranks vs kroil and the others.

For me it's been good enough to remove any desire to try something else. 100% success rate since I start using it. I always have acetone and ATF in the garage and those cans are expensive and never seem to be readily available at the stores I frequent.

They do separate so I have to shake it up regularly, and I don't know if the evaporation of the acetone pressurizes my spray bottle or what, but wherever I put it ends up in a puddle, so I'm strategic about where I place it and I only mix a little at a time so I don't constantly have a bottle sitting around making a mess of things.

I've heard of this issue but never experienced it. Is this a result of corrosion at the very end of the hinge pin where it protrudes beyond the bottom of the hinge? Nothing else adds up for me if the doors open then the pins should slide in the bushings just fine.
Another thought (of mine) is that the hinges were mounted and thus aligned on the vehicle with the doors closed.
When the door is swung open, the pins are no longer perfectly straight up and down creating more bind.
I've found it helps to lift the door from the outside with it closed as much as possible.
This puts the hinges/pins closer to the position they normally sit at most of the time.
Note; be careful not to hit the door on the front windshield hinge when it pops free.
Also, as mentioned, lifting as close to the door hinges as possible reduces bind.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
I was thinking about taking a dremel and shaving off the top of the door pin, thus leaving only the pin, inside the other piece. I feel like I could probably take a mallet and some type of punch tool to bang out the remaining pin from the top. Then, once off, I could use another flat or dome headed bolt and nut set-up when I want to put the doors back on. Thoughts???

I don't think this would work. The hinge pins are knurled/wider at the top. But you could probably pound them out from the bottom pretty easily. I would hit them hard from the bottom. You will mushroom the bottom but the pin will come loose after the top inch gets pounded out. Then cut the mushroomed part off and should easily tap it UP through the top.

$7 for a pair of replacement pins that are made for this on Amazon or anything other website. No need to use a hardware store pieces.

BA3495AA-E7DA-47D5-AB98-9C66DA6D5B92.png

You DID take the nuts off the bottom, right? Past that, what Jerry said - if the pins were out of alignment the door wouldn't even swing - it would bind and or make horrible noises as it fought against the body mounted hinge.

the jack w/ wood is a decent idea, but as indicated, make sure it is on the flat part of the bottom of the door and NOT where the outer door skin joins with the rest of the door.

d-

You think every door (in the world) that swings has perfectly aligned hinges?
You've never had to pound out a house door hinge pin?

No, they aren't. They are misaligned relative to VERTICAL to get them to shut, not to each other. A door with misaligned hinges doesn't move.

Imagine your lower hinge were grossly misaligned - let's say by 5-10 degrees - during installation (let's assume they put the hinges on the door first - they don't, but let's say they did). That would mean that the hinge pin for the top hinge would point straight down (because it is vertical). The hinge pin for the lower door would point 10 degrees to the back (or front depending on which way they misaligned). If it pointed to the back with the door closed then opening the door means it would need to point INTO the car. Except it can't because the hinge sleeve stops it.

And that is why hinges are absolutely aligned on a for that opens and closes. At least within very tight tolerances.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
have you tried a pneumatic air chisel with a ¼" punch? I had a chevy van that the pins got stuck, my buddy, took his air chisel to them and popped right out

You've never had to pound out a house door hinge pin?
I've had to do that countless times on mostly perfectly aligned hinges. Perfect alignment without adequate lubrication does not assure free movement. I don't think any of the door hinges of the house I bought in May had ever been lubricated, all squeaked and caused problems. I had to remove around half of the hinge pins to get them properly lubricated.

Reactions: Fulton_Hogan
I've had to do that countless times on mostly perfectly aligned hinges. Perfect alignment without adequate lubrication does not assure free movement. I don't think any of the door hinges of the house I bought in May had ever been lubricated, all squeaked and caused problems. I had to remove around half of the hinge pins to get them properly lubricated.

Welcome to Florida, man.

I finally got mine off for the first time since new. Unfortunately wound up scratching the paint by each pin using the ol “i need a bigger hammer” method. That always seems to get me in trouble lol. Got my doors off though!

Reactions: L J