One of a few things that make me sad

mrblaine

Crew Member
Supporting Member
My general nature is to help folks do things better. In that vein, I know how to build a big brake kit and several versions of it that would allow the semi-skilled DIY'er to convert his rig to have a big brake kit up front. I could deliver the parts needed to do it for roughly a 100 bucks or so if they wanted to source their own brake components.

The reason that I don't and haven't is it would take some ass about 30 minutes to copy it and start selling it against me. I'm sad that intellectual theft is condoned as "competition is good for the consumer".

I think you'd end up with a bunch of guys ordering those "brake components" from the lowest bidder and it'd mar any quality you deliver.

I think you'd end up with a bunch of guys ordering those "brake components" from the lowest bidder and it'd mar any quality you deliver.
They would and it would. I tend to make things as good as possible right to the edge of diminished return for anything more. It would be machined well, correctly, finished, deburred, and plated. Joe asshole copy shop would laser cut it out, ship it for 10 cents on the dollar and now I'm the ass for overcharging and developing the product.

They would and it would. I tend to make things as good as possible right to the edge of diminished return for anything more. It would be machined well, correctly, finished, deburred, and plated. Joe asshole copy shop would laser cut it out, ship it for 10 cents on the dollar and now I'm the ass for overcharging and developing the product.

Sounds like you need to carry on. We all win that way.

Well, I know what you mean. The one thing I can promise, is if I find the need for your expertise, I'll PM you and follow it to the letter.

Do it in the spirit it's intended knowing that you will help some good folks and that quality and reputation speak for themselves. Make a couple bucks in the process. Asshole competitors and asshole customers will be assholes.

My general nature is to help folks do things better. In that vein, I know how to build a big brake kit and several versions of it that would allow the semi-skilled DIY'er to convert his rig to have a big brake kit up front. I could deliver the parts needed to do it for roughly a 100 bucks or so if they wanted to source their own brake components.

The reason that I don't and haven't is it would take some ass about 30 minutes to copy it and start selling it against me. I'm sad that intellectual theft is condoned as "competition is good for the consumer".

Even sadder is the marketing they would do as if they invented it (with a tacky name and the caliper in an eye blinding color) and then droves of unknowing consumers will be led astray. Though against your helpful nature, it's better that you do it the way you do it now and maintain the highest standards of quality that you possibly can.

Do it in the spirit it's intended knowing that you will help some good folks and that quality and reputation speak for themselves. Make a couple bucks in the process. Asshole competitors and asshole customers will be assholes.
I am long past the point where my stuff being copied is tolerable to me.

I will first say that I have never created and sold anything, so this is just from my morals.

I believe in helping people to the best of my ability but then there are times and people that no matter what you do its just never enough. The other night my wife and I were just outside a restaurant and I see a man walking across the street that appeared homeless. Immediately I thought I am going to give this man some cash. I reach in my wallet and get a 20 dollar bill. As the man approached (which I assumed he was going to walk by) I stepped over to him and just handed him the money. He said oh ok, ummm can I clean your windows for you or do anything. I said no we are ok. He then preceded to give a story and finished with "do you have any more I could get". We just said no, and went on our way. My wife said that made her sad and I too was a little shocked. However sad to say that is the mentality of people in this day and age. I changed my mind about it and I know that I did what I wanted to do and felt it was right and nobody can take that away from me, even the receiver.

When it comes to hobbies we all try to build as much as we can and get the most bang for the buck. Big brakes means I can get bigger tires and take on larger rocks but now I need a winch just incase so I don't become that guy on the trail ETC. My point is that it is easy to get into a want mode and it just gets more and more. Its not only cool these days to get the best stuff but you also have to get the best stuff for the best price out there. Its part of bragging rights. it all comes down to budget. Money is the answer for everything

I don't know what got me writing all of that but you can please all people some of the time and some people all of the time. Your knowledge that you share here reaches far more people than you may know but business is business. Keep doing what you do

Reactions: UpperMI
As a developer of products for our company I know what you're talking about and "feel" the same way for the most part. There's scumbags everywhere, but I've found that when I develop a new gun part and we do our due diligence, even though it gets knocked off in short order I always seem to have a "base" of folks who promote our original as the "first and best" and they shame those who flock to the copycat. While the shame doesn't buy me coffee or contribute to the retirement fund it is pretty satisfying to see them whine when a nuance of the design wasn't copied and they come to me for help with the knockoff due to it underperforming.

If possible, I make my own parts. I build my own engines, transmissions, axles. I use what others have done for "inspiration", then usually put my own ideas into it.

The reason I do this is money. My time in the garage is worth 0 hard dollars to me. I can afford to spend time to make frame brackets or control arms myself much easier than paying someone else. Plus I enjoy making parts (probably more than the jeep itself).

But, what goes along with this is my experience. I have been a machine tool builder for 25+ years. Anything I cant do at home I can do at work off the clock. The shop that I work in has a Bridgeport, lathe, mig and tig welder that we are allowed to use after hours on "government" work. If I have a particular question on a material choice or a strength concern, one of my engineer friends will run an fea analysis for me. Most people do not have these benefits. I feel pretty lucky in that respect.

I have and never will make parts for anyone but myself. Not even friends. Don't want to. Don't want to deal with people or the business headache. I already have a full time job. Working out of my garage for the equivalent of 5 bucks an hour does not appeal to me.

Now, on to what mrblaine was originally talking about. Blatant design ripoffs for profit are bullshit. Anybody or company that does that is an asshole. I have a friend who has a small company that builds a vent for fuel systems in older cars to convert from a vented tank to a sealed tank. His part is fairly simple, but there was a lot of r&d to get it just right. Now he is getting ripped off by 2 or 3 other companies using offshore materials and undercutting him by 25%. Its a bunch of shit. He actually gets tech calls from other companies customers wondering why their new vent doesnt work. He answers the questions usually. I would tell people to F$%k off( maybe that's why I am not in business for myself).

Now, on to what mrblaine was originally talking about. Blatant design ripoffs for profit are bullshit. Anybody or company that does that is an asshole. I have a friend who has a small company that builds a vent for fuel systems in older cars to convert from a vented tank to a sealed tank. His part is fairly simple, but there was a lot of r&d to get it just right. Now he is getting ripped off by 2 or 3 other companies using offshore materials and undercutting him by 25%. Its a bunch of shit. He actually gets tech calls from other companies customers wondering why their new vent doesnt work. He answers the questions usually. I would tell people to F$%k off( maybe that's why I am not in business for myself).
The worst part of that is he spent countless hours getting it right. I've done it so I know how much time is involved and all they had to do is buy one, copy it exactly and they don't have to spend that time and money doing the R&D.

I did that with the Super 88 kit for Superior Axle and Gear. Randy's Ring and Pinion bought one, shipped it overseas and bam, perfect copy for 500 bucks invested. I spent several hundred hours getting it all dialed in, prototypes built and fit, installed, instructions written, keeping track of the test rigs, and then going over the whole project and educating the folks at Superior. All said and done, I may have realized 5-10 bucks an hour for an original idea and bringing it to market with no flaws.

When you create things , it’s more than just hard earned knowledge you put in ...its heart and soul. When people steal that get’s a little personal.

It’s wisdom to know what could happen , and wisdom is survival.

I told a young man on here recently people don’t get where you are (a professional level) by accident , it takes hard work, showing up for years and years , getting up again and again ...all knowledge has a cost.

Reactions: Steven_Olson