One of those rifles

Nope, picky and inherently inaccurate firearms are like dogs that bite. Ive got no tolerance for them and they dont get to live at my house.

"Inherently inaccurate" I won't abide; picky I have no problem with. I'm picky as hell, but I do a decent job as long as my needs are met...so I ask the same of my guns. To my mind, "picky" produces the same end result as finely tuning a round for a bench gun: you end up with one round that shoots head and shoulders above anything and everything else. I don't think that's necessarily a problem...but if it happens in a gun that I expect or need to process any and all ammo, it's a deal-breaker. The rest of the time: no big deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: StG58
I have .270 winchester that is stubborn, we've put hundreds of rounds thru it and it has never been consistent. Tried a few different scopes, numerous brands of ammo. Its just all over the place. I finally bought a Remington model 700 and its dead on at 200 yards with a Leupold scope.

I have .270 winchester that is stubborn, we've put hundreds of rounds thru it and it has never been consistent. Tried a few different scopes, numerous brands of ammo. Its just all over the place. I finally bought a Remington model 700 and its dead on at 200 yards with a Leupold scope.

Sounds like a chamber/headspace issue, or perhaps a throat that's too far forward; either way, "all over the place" sounds exactly like what happened when -06 rounds were chambered in guns cut for the longer -03, and the bullets jumped into the lands. You could try rechambering to a blown-out Ackley round if you feel like futzing around with it; then you wouldn't be stuck with a Remington. ;)

I've got the Marlin lever action 44 carbine. Love that rifle have used it for years for pig hunting with my dogs. I just threw it over my shoulder, head through the sling and go, both hands free. Killed a lot of big boars with it shooting 240 gr bullet. Never let me down and it got wet and muddy at times. Now I had two friends that both had 44 rifles too. One was the Ruger....he always had problems with it, it wouldn't feed right or something. The other a lever action Winchester which kept jamming on him.
I really like my new marlin guide gun. Hundreds of rounds through it, accurately, and only one issue so far. A screw loosened up and it started jamming, hard. Tightened the loading gate screw up with my leatherman and back in business. Maybe the wife needs a 44 Marlin?

I had a 44 Ruger and it wouldn’t feed right either. As I recall it would spit cartridges out the bottom.
This thing cycles fine and reliably goes bang. It's just minute of pie plate accurate with anything other than Magtech ammo. For what she'll use it for, it needs to shoot point of aim out to 100 yards with pretty much anything you feed it though. It's really not even all that fussy on cleaning and maintenance. Just doesn't work accuracy wise. The wife can shoot, the carbine can't.

Last edited:
I really like my new marlin guide gun. Hundreds of rounds through it, accurately, and only one issue so far. A screw loosened up and it started jamming, hard. Tightened the loading gate screw up with my leatherman and back in business. Maybe the wife needs a 44 Marlin?
I think she does! :)

Remington=range gun, not something someone uses for any dangerous game, that stupid tang extractor has gotten more than one person in a bad situation in Alaska, claw extractor all the way, think: Mauser, Winchester, Montana Rifle Company, Ruger, and you wont have to worry about that remington safety failing and killing someone...Sako is a no go, and there are a lot of other remington copies that just dont cut it for a serious dangerous game rifle.

Remington=range gun, not something someone uses for any dangerous game, that stupid tang extractor has gotten more than one person in a bad situation in Alaska, claw extractor all the way, think: Mauser, Winchester, Montana Rifle Company, Ruger, and you wont have to worry about that remington safety failing and killing someone...Sako is a no go, and there are a lot of other remington copies that just dont cut it for a serious dangerous game rifle.

I wish CRF rifles were more common, not a lot of selection or availability at least where I am. Took awhile of searching before I ended up with a Win M70.

Reactions: astjp2
Montana rifle company makes an excellent bolt gun and so does Ruger, both are cast recievers and still handle the magnum calibers. The Interarms and winchesters are forged, the interarms was made in eastern europe at the Mauser plant and is excellent quality, winchester is a known quality if it has been trued up by a competent gun smith. Savage is a an excellent gun for the money also but I am not sure if they have controlled feed on them. Tim

...and you wont have to worry about that remington safety failing and killing someone...

I forget the exact numbers but there was a range of serial numbers that were affected. Mine was not one of those. I use it for elk/deer hunting.

As for the .270, my plan is to sell it or trade it. Just not sure for what.

A rifle has to group and function flawlessly . . . .
I'm frequently on foot in G-bear country.
A rifle that doesn't group or function is nothing more than a pry bar or jack handle.
You couldn't be more right! All the years I hunted wild pigs with my dogs, there were several times I had to shoot a pi$$ed off big Wild Boar charging me. It was no time for my Marlin 44 to malfunction.

I forget the exact numbers but there was a range of serial numbers that were affected. Mine was not one of those. I use it for elk/deer hunting.

As for the .270, my plan is to sell it or trade it. Just not sure for what.
There are pending lawsuits for all of the 700 series, they still had some failures after the supposed fix...partly due to cost cutting measures...

Savage is a an excellent gun for the money also but I am not sure if they have controlled feed on them.

I believe their current production is all push-fed, as well as the vast majority of their older models. For what it's worth, I wouldn't care about controlled-feed unless whatever I was going after had sharp, pointy teeth.

CRF & true Mauser actions are the real deal. I have, ahem, "several". Winchester, FN, Ruger, CZ etc missed a couple of very important details on their actions. One, a very important one, is the guide rib on the bolt. I'm not sure that Mauser even incorporates that any longer on their 98's.

Oh, Interarms = Zastava = Remington Model 98. If you ever run across a Zastava, check it out. They tend to be very plain, but they are a really good firearm. Very smooth when broken in and dead nuts reliable. They will also reliably feed and chamber a round in any position.

Whitworth also built the Interarms...I only play with the belted Magnums so far, I really want to build a wildcat extended 300WM length .338, uses 375H&H cases necked down to .338, not quite lapua but damn close. My newest lathe is only 24" between centers, I really need to get my 36" rockwell up and running, Newall DRO's on both. Tim

My only Ruger is the MK IV .22 Hunter. Lovely to shoot. Has feeding problems. Pain to take down. It just sits there now
Hey, @JMT, I'm puzzled by this. How is it a pain to take down? With the new system, the MK IV is supposed to be the simplest set-up Ruger has ever had. I have a 1979 Standard (sometimes referred to as a MK I), and it can be an exercise in frustration to break down and reassemble. The MK IV is on my short list of "will own" firearms, not only for it's stellar appearance, but for the ease of breaking down. It's mere seconds to do so. What's up with yours?