One step closer to installing my big axles

Rescue6

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I’m one step closer to getting everything ready for my big axle swap. Just got off the phone with Genright and my pockets are a lot lighter but the Jeep will be a lot lighter also. I’ve had my Gen 1 Genright steel tube fenders, Steel stretch rear Armor and tube fenders along with the rear 4 link kit and tank for at least ten years now. Since I’m getting ready to do tons and ORI’s I wanted to repaint and lighten up the Jeep. Just ordered Aluminum rear corners, Aluminum rear fenders, Aluminum Front Highline fenders and inners, mini boat side sliders, and windshield frame guards. I’m excited for the new upgrades and lighter weight as I was shocked when I put my Jeep on the scales a few month ago and it weighed 4844 pounds.
many one have tips for the highline install. I’ll post up the After photo once the Jeep is painted and the new parts are installed.

0F19012A-3C3F-4BBF-AF47-2E0AA986695D.jpeg

Very nice! I did a highline and front 1-ton swap in 2019/20. Was definitely a fun adventure and very satisfying. I'm sure you will enjoy the ride, especially since you'll be doing ORIs at the same time. Looking forward to seeing how they compare with conventional coilovers as it relates to packaging and tuning. One of the two will no doubt be in my future.

The highline was definitely the easier and less time consuming of the two projects for me. The hardest part is obviously is trimming the hood. I cut it with an angle grinder and left about a quarter inch extra, then ground/sanded it down to to fit. It turned out pretty well IMO. I would have bought an AEV hood if they were still available but the fiberglass ones get mixed reviews so I passed. Other than that it's mostly trimming the inner fender and relocating stuff under the hood. Tedious but not difficult.

Yowsa 4844 pounds, that's a lot! I dunno what my current TJ weighs with its aluminum parts but my previous TJ in its early days weighed an even 4100 lbs.. Dana 44, Dana 30, 35" tires, steel corner guards, steel GTSP, steel rocker guards, steel bumpers, winch, RE LA suspension, etc.

Yowsa 4844 pounds, that's a lot! I dunno what my current TJ weighs with its aluminum parts but my previous TJ in its early days weighed an even 4100 lbs.. Dana 44, Dana 30, 35" tires, steel corner guards, steel GTSP, steel rocker guards, steel bumpers, winch, RE LA suspension, etc.
Yeah I was amazed at the pig. I do have a bunch of heavy parts though. I’ve currently got a Currie Rj 60 in the rear and a CORE 44 up front, an Atlas 4 speed Tcase, and steel rear corners, steel tube fenders up front. Steel bumpers front and rear, beadlocks and 36” tires. The tire/ wheel combos are like 130 pounds a piece so that 650 alone. The Atlas 4 speed it double the weight of a standard case as well.

Yeah I was amazed at the pig. I do have a bunch of heavy parts though. I’ve currently got a Currie Rj 60 in the rear and a CORE 44 up front, an Atlas 4 speed Tcase, and steel rear corners, steel tube fenders up front. Steel bumpers front and rear, beadlocks and 36” tires. The tire/ wheel combos are like 130 pounds a piece so that 650 alone. The Atlas 4 speed it double the weight of a standard case as well.
Oh yeah that weight makes per sense now! 😊

Some of the parts arrived. Still waiting on the high line front fenders and the rear tube fenders to show up.

8D010BA7-C0BF-40BC-97B4-4C068C02B467.jpeg

3EEBDD55-60EA-4946-A55A-DE36D26B6726.jpeg

What are you swapping in for the front axle?

I’m excited for the new upgrades and lighter weight as I was shocked when I put my Jeep on the scales a few month ago and it weighed 4844 pounds.
many one have tips for the highline install. I’ll post up the After photo once the Jeep is painted and the new parts are installed.

Well I feel a little better now. My Jeep is a PORKER too and weighs a little more than yours. I'm about 5100 with my old Poison Spyder steel rear corners & front tube fenders. I have a StaK's 3 speed and it's 150lbs. My Hummer beadlocks & 38" TSL SX tires were 138 each. I'll be interested to see how much weight you drop by going aluminum. I have a Teraflex CRD60 rear & Ford HP44 front so we're close to built the same.

Reactions: Rescue6
Well I feel a little better now. My Jeep is a PORKER too and weighs a little more than yours. I'm about 5100 with my old Poison Spyder steel rear corners & front tube fenders. I have a StaK's 3 speed and it's 150lbs. My Hummer beadlocks & 38" TSL SX tires were 138 each. I'll be interested to see how much weight you drop by going aluminum. I have a Teraflex CRD60 rear & Ford HP44 front so we're close to built the same.
Yeah I was pretty shocked. That was with a full tank of fuel and everything I keep in it for a wheeling trip? Tools recovery gear snacks and drinks. But I look forward to finding out the difference for sure. My guess is probably around 150-200# savings total. As I’ll be installing an aluminum belly pan as well.

Reactions: Wildman
Yeah I was pretty shocked. That was with a full tank of fuel and everything I keep in it for a wheeling trip? Tools recovery gear snacks and drinks. But I look forward to finding out the difference for sure. My guess is probably around 150-200# savings total. As I’ll be installing an aluminum belly pan as well.

I was a little shocked as to how much the Spyder Loc's weigh. I need to weigh one against my StazWorks steel dual beadlocks.

Reactions: Rescue6