One step forward, two steps back

Sleeper

I had hoped my little Diamond in the rough would be a simple repair.
But it seems like I just keep hitting road blocks.

I need to:
replace the top
20191101_160843.jpg
20191101_160847.jpg

Repair drivers side front fender
20191101_160828.jpg

Replace front window frame and hinges
20191101_160838.jpg

Repair bent drivers side rear roll bar
20191123_160254.jpg

I searched for a factory roof and ended up finding a damaged one that I will try to repair. I will need to get a rear window as well.
IMG_1735.jpg

I removed the drivers side front fender an did some body work on it.
It isn't turning out as good as I had hoped.
20191202_154325.jpg

Removing the window hinges went better than expected until the bottom screw on the drivers side. Heat, penetrating oil ... nothing! Torx bit broke in the screw. Tried a bunch of different methods to remove, broke an extractor. Now I think its weld a nut on time
I bought an auto wrecker front window and had it shipped up to me
When I opened it up I found that the bottom was rusted out, as are the hinges. The guy said i can send it back for a full refund, but the shipping is as much as I paid for it.
20191130_090845.jpg
20191130_090930.jpg
20191130_090950.jpg

I found the part number for the roll bar piece but it seems that it is no longer available. I have had some experience with welders to know some are just welders and some are fabricators. But I think finding someone to repair it is my best option.

I had hoped things would go smoother but at least its keeping me entertained. I thought this would be a bit cheaper than buying one in good condition but after spending a bunch of research time on the forum and seeing the PCM issues I have to look forward to, steering updates I should do, tranny cooler install maybe? I can see the money put ahead.

With the lifts, tires and other updates that can be done, some of you guys must have a second job just to support the jeep!

Reactions: TJ4Jim
Just take your time, and enjoy working on it. :) The more you do, the more you learn. I rebuilt/prelaced dang near every component on my jeep, but that gave me more knowledge than the average owner on the tips and tricks on replacing most items. This also allows me to be able to help others out easily. Looking forward to the updates!

Reactions: Sleeper
i'd load it into my truck drive over and beat someone with that window frame. i don't care if he's 10hrs away.
that they even had the balls to ship you rotten junk is just BS.

unless they made you aware, that this was scrap. it sounds like a small claims case.

Reactions: A. Paul
He said that he was short staffed and had a couple kids helping him out in the yard.
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt right now.
But it's not over until its replaced or reimbursed.

So I got reimbursed for the window frame and bought a new aftermarket frame.
Painted it up in the garage along with the drivers front fender.
Pretty happy with how it turned out.

I also replaced the valve cover gasket. I was concerned about the plastic harness protector but it came out and went back in without too much fuss.

I cut the welds and pushed the roll bars back into shape and welded them back up. Worked pretty good.

Now I just need to get my roof from Prince George, refinish it and find a rear window and some hardware for it and I should be ready to have it inspected for the road.

After I get it passed I will look at upgrading it as I go.

20200120_125838.jpg

Well I finally got it on the road. Yay!!
Ran into a couple of snags during the inspection process however.
I had brought the Jeep to a body shop before I began work to inspect the frame to ensure it was worthwhile dumping money into it.
They have some sort of lazer measuring they do so I was feeling confident that their results would be accurate.
The inspection facility told me my frame was bent as well as my rear axle.
They phoned the shop I had the work done at and they said because it was bent equally on both sides they thought it was acceptable.
The inspection facility did not agree.
So a few more bucks went down the toilet to straighten the frame and the rear axle.
All and all I am pretty happy with it. First time driving a jeep around and its certainly a different ride than I am used to.
I really appreciate all the info on this site. I used it extensively for parts recommendations and repair guides information.

20210312_114350.jpg

Reactions: Apparition