Only blows out the defrost

David Moore

I bought my 04 X a few months back. Going into it I knew it had a bad heater core. As i was test driving it, the A/C would only blow out of the defrost vents. Once we got back to the guys house, it went back to normal. He said it had never done that before. About a month after I bought it, it did it again and never went back. I’m will be working on the heater core this weekend and thought this would be the perfect time to fix this too. Any ideas on what it is?

Sounds like a vacuum leak to the air box. When the doors lose vacuum they go to the defrost vents by default. If I remember correctly it comes off a vac tree on the manifold. follow the line to the firewall and check for a disconnected or broken vac line where it goes through the firewall. Possibly even under the dash. Possibly a control unit but its not a common problem so I'd trace the vac lines first.

Reactions: Daryl and Chris
Thanks for the feedback. The wife is out of the house with the kids for a couple hours so i decided to take a quick peek now. Within seconds I found that under the hood the vacuumed line was cracked just below the T. I threw a little tape on it to temporarily fix it, and now it works. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk