OPDA hype or real issue?

05 Blue Unlimited

TJ Addict
Ride of the Month Winner
Ok, In another thread we were asked to offer opinions on the "best" wrangler to own. And as you might expect there are a number of opinions on which one is best and which ones to avoid all for various reasons and all of them valid opinions. Of a continued and reoccurring focus throughout this and other forums is the 05-06 models as ones to avoid. Now I have an 05 and don't take any of it personally but it did get me to thinking on the "actual failures" vs "someone said it on the internet so it must be true" sorta thing.

So to the point, I have read of the OPDA doom for some time but do not know anyone that has personally had an issue and I freely admit that I do not know everyone with a TJ let alone the 05-06 models...not even close. I can also only think of a couple members here that had the issue, but out of approx 160,000 units produced in 05-06 you would think you would actually experience it more if the doom lived up to the "hype".

A 10% failure rate of production is 16k units and it sucks if you are in the 10% but that rate is not bad over time and as we move away from mfg'er date I suspect failure rate is much, much less. Now this is not to suggest that an OPDA failure is potentially on par with other items in terms damage that is possible (but its only possible) but I suspect there just may be more cracked exhaust mans in the population than OPDAs. So just as with a rad, thermostat, or exhaust man, you replace it and move on right, I mean its just another part that went bad, right? So why is the OPDA any different?

I suspect that some of the broader exposure is due to many of us being on multiple forums so that a thermostat replacement gets double or even triple the exposure if we post the issue to more than one forum. Even within the same forum if we continuously post our issue it can be disproportional in some minds to the single event that occurred.

So to my question; how many of you have actually had to replace the OPDA in you ride. NOT "I knew/heard of a guy" or "A friend of mine" or "I replaced mine out of fear" but how many of you actually replaced it due to failure? Surprise me but I suspect it is less that radiators, thermos, or somesuch.

This is not scientific at all but is a show of hands of those who 1) have an 05-06, 2) are on this forum, 3) see this post, 4) had this issue. So you see that is a very small pool to begin with.

Oh and please don't reply if if you disagree with the premise unless you personally had a failure.

[edit: corrected decimal point in math]

Last edited:
My 05 had to have its opda replaced at 65k miles in 2015. Luckily no cam damage. It has had its oil changed every 3k miles and been garage kept its whole life so it wasn’t a neglect or abuse issue. With the design flaw of lack of lubrication I think it is a true issue for every one of them. Not to get off track but I also have had to replace my PCM at 75k. It is also a known issue with 05-06 models.

I can't see a thread like this and not give my opinion. I'm to opinionated about this topic.

All I can tell you is that I've had two 2005 TJs and haven't had an OPDA issue on either one. Both are using the stock OPDA as well.

Do I worry about it? Not a bit.

Does it concern me? Not a bit.

Would I not buy a TJ just because it was a 2005? Absolutely not.

Here's my suggestion to everyone who owns a 2005 TJ... DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

If it starts making noise, address it then. Don't worry about problems that don't exist. Worry about them when they actually become a problem.

Last but not least, everyone needs to remember that this is the internet. Bad news travels fast, not good news. No one is going to take the time to join a forum just to tell others about how they haven't had an OPDA issue. People join forums for help with problems such as OPDA issues. Therefore you only hear about the ones with the issues, not the ones without them.

X2 to what @Chris said. I specifically asked Dave Kishpaugh about the OPDA and he said it's one of the things that overblown on the internet . He said not to worry unnecessarily and deal with it only if there is an issue that starts up.

Edit: I have a '05 Rubicon, have had the OPDA pulled and checked, it is aboslutely fine. I have the crown part in my "spares" box but I am not worried about my OPDA.

Last edited:
My 05 had to have its opda replaced at 65k miles in 2015. Luckily no cam damage. It has had its oil changed every 3k miles and been garage kept its whole life so it wasn’t a neglect or abuse issue. With the design flaw of lack of lubrication I think it is a true issue for every one of them. Not to get off track but I also have had to replace my PCM at 75k. It is also a known issue with 05-06 models.
Ok duly noted - that's 1

X2 to what @Chris said. I specifically asked Dave Kishpaugh about the OPDA and he said it's one of the things that overblown on the internet . He said not to worry unnecessarily and deal with it only if there is an issue that starts up.

That statement has a lot of value to it as well, especially since it's coming from a very reputable guy (Dave) who works on Jeeps for a living.

Trust me I love my 05 and would buy it again even knowing what I do now. It’s just odd that the only two issues it has ever had in the many years I’ve owned it was the OPDA and PCM. Other than that it’s been flawless and very fun to own.

I posted in the other thread, but I'll post here too:

I have an '06 SE 4.0L with around 80k miles on it and have owned it since 2007. I have never experienced this issue and have only experienced very minor issues overall with my Jeep since I've owned it. Knock on wood, but the check engine light has never come on.

Haven’t experienced an Issue but after reading the horror stories I invested the $110 for a new Crown unit. Pulled my Mopar Rev B OPDA, has some wear on it. Replaced with my new Crown and the OEM sensor and stopped thinking about it. Cheap insurance.

Reactions: Chris
I own an '06 TJ Unlimited (LJ) manufactured in March, 2006. The OPDA is original with no indications of failure at 100,000 miles.

I am not concerned with potential failure because replacement is simple and relatively inexpensive if or when the need arises.

What does give me some pause for thought is parts availability. The Crown OPDA is available now, but there is no guarantee it always will. I've restored a few old cars and the one acronym in the parts catalogs that could stop me in my tracks was NLA, no longer available. Buying a spare just in case might be prudent, but it hasn't been a priority and will be something I'll get to someday. Maybe. But probably not.
Unless. . . .o_O

So far not looking like it amounts to anything but it is early. One question for @Chris though is can you tell how many 05 06 tj member there are?

I can't tell how many members on here have 05-06 TJs... Unfortunately most people don't fill out their profile, so I have no clue myself!