OPDA nightmare

Danmulb

Supporting Member
20200916_184627.jpg

20200916_120704.jpg

Hey all,

Had the screaming monkey in my 06 TJ 4.0L, just replaced the OPDA after not driving it after noise started, and came to find this... also throwing the P0016 code for timing after reinstallation. I couldnt see the whole camshaft gear but it seemed ok, and im fairly certain i replaced the OPDA correctly with the TDC alignment pin procedure but still throwing the code after putzing around the parking lot for a few minutes. Any ideas or am I screwed and upgrading to 4.7 stroker after only 70k miles on this engine....?

• Wow
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
When I replaced mine I pulled the original electronics off the old OPDA and put them on the new OPDA. If I remember right it was just two screws. I had read a few posts that said the new OPDAs electronics could cause issues and it was best to use the original OEM one with the new OPDA. Not sure if this could cause your issue or not. Hopefully someone with more experience will help you get this sorted out. My OPDA gear was worn as well. I could not find any visible wear on the camshaft. That was about 5 years ago and I’ve had no problems.

Can you explain the second picture? I feel like there’s some context missing.

regarding the OPDA install, it’s easy to get the opda a little off - I’d double check that clock and ensure you either used the original sensor or mopar replacement.

Showing a picture of your cam gear Would be helpful to - the wear on the opda looks similar to mine a few years back while the cam gear looked pretty okay.

Last edited:
P0016 will set if the timing is off. If the engine still runs, you’re not off by much.

I’m not sure what the 2nd photo depicts. The engine is not at TDC here.

If the engine starts, just clock it slightly one way or the other until you no longer get P0016. If the engine does not start, you’ll need to set the engine to TDC and reinstall the OPDA with the alignment pin in place.

You’re fine, you will just have to fine tune the timing a little. I had to do the same thing. Also at the suggestion of others I did swap my Oem cam postion sensor over although I have no idea if it’s really necessary

P0016 will set if the timing is off. If the engine still runs, you’re not off by much.

I’m not sure what the 2nd photo depicts. The engine is not at TDC here.

If the engine starts, just clock it slightly one way or the other until you no longer get P0016. If the engine does not start, you’ll need to set the engine to TDC and reinstall the OPDA with the alignment pin in place.
Thanks! Im using the original sensor. 2nd photo was just the original with rubber buildup in it. Stupid question what do you mean by clock it? Just move the housing around to try to get it back exact?

Thanks! Im using the original sensor. 2nd photo was just the original with rubber buildup in it. Stupid question what do you mean by clock it? Just move the housing around to try to get it back exact?

The OPDA should be clocked to about 4 o’clock. You can loosen the retaining bolt on the block and rotate a few degrees either way then retighten the bolt.

The full procedure begins on page 414 of the service manual.

https://wranglertjforum.com/attachments/2005-tj-service-manual-pdf.14045/