OPDA or lifter tick?

Chasitek

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So a while ago I was having the random misfires and then a p0016 code and found out 05-06’s had opda problems. I replaced the opda with a crown unit and all had been good but I’ve been hearing the ticking noise mostly at idle and then when the engine warms up, it goes away. When I was trying to pinpoint it, it seems the ticking can be felt when I touch the opda. I’m assuming it means I need a new cam but what do you all think? Is it worth it to check the rockers and push rods first or should I just plan to do a new cam and lifters and check it then? Anybody have any good recommendations? I’m not looking to get anything performance cause then i’m get carried away and want performance this and that and soon enough i’ll just want to stroke it. Anyway, i’m also assuming that this would mean just the teeth on the cam where the opda rides is bad? Nothing will get further damaged except the opda teeth and cam teeth if I keep driving it like this, right? By the way here’s a photo of the cam when I replaced the opda a few months ago (pretty worn i’d say)

5DDEE934-A96D-4E1E-99C4-EFDD3B201176.png

With cam drive gear wear like that; replacing the OPDA will only temporarily resolve the problem. The wear on the OPDA gear will return. The metal particles that are not captured in the oil filter will end up in the oil pan and possibly creating more wear in other parts of the engine.

With cam drive gear wear like that; replacing the OPDA will only temporarily resolve the problem. The wear on the OPDA gear will return. The metal particles that are not captured in the oil filter will end up in the oil pan and possibly creating more wear in other parts of the engine.

Yep, X2 to this. You really need a new cam gear and a new OPDA to address this issue.

Yep, X2 to this. You really need a new cam gear and a new OPDA to address this issue.
Any brand recommendations for the cam?

There are many cam and lifter manufacturers.
While Mopar would be preferred; try looking at Erson or Crane as a place to start if Mopar isn’t available.

I would recommend to Buy American. 🇺🇸

X2 to this. Don't be cheap when it comes to the cam. Buy Mopar, Crane, Erson, or something made in America using quality control.

Reactions: Shwiftypickle
There are many cam and lifter manufacturers.
While Mopar would be preferred; try looking at Erson or Crane as a place to start if Mopar isn’t available.

I would recommend to Buy American. 🇺🇸
X2 to this. Don't be cheap when it comes to the cam. Buy Mopar, Crane, Erson, or something made in America using quality control.
i'll go mopar with the cam. Anything else specifically that I should check when I do this? obviously I'll check everything for basic wear but any specific stuff?

i'll go mopar with the cam. Anything else specifically that I should check when I do this? obviously I'll check everything for basic wear but any specific stuff?

Wouldn’t hurt to replace the lifters and the push rods.

Wouldn’t hurt to replace the lifters and the push rods.
Yeah for sure I mean a new cam requires new lifters. I'll inspect my push rods and rockers and if they lok fine i'll probably just keep them since they are so easy to replace. I lap my valves etc. I may port my intake and head while the head is off too.

Reactions: Chris
Yeah for sure I mean a new cam requires new lifters. I'll inspect my push rods and rockers and if they lok fine i'll probably just keep them since they are so easy to replace. I lap my valves etc. I may port my intake and head while the head is off too.

Yep, that would be a great time to get the head resurfaced and put in new valve seals, etc.