How important is it to use the original OPDA sensor?

Mich2020

Went to change the OPDA today. I've read on this forum that you want to use the original sensor. But the sensor was stuck to the original OPDA. I tried to pry it off and the part with the bolt snapped off!

Can I use the sensor that came with the Crown OPDA? Or do I need the original sensor? How important is the original sensor?

Yes, you can use the Crown sensor but it won't last, I can pretty much guarantee that. I've replaced my OPDA a couple of times, first with the Dorman unit and later with the Crown unit. When I replaced it the first time I used the Dorman sensor. The Domran unit started making a knocking noise a few months later so I replaced it with a Crown unit and reused the Dorman sensor. I think about 6 months later I started getting P0340 so I installed the Crown sensor. A few months after that I got P0340 and a crank no start condition. I then installed the OE sensor and haven't had any issues since. That was summer 2017.

Replaced OPDA yesterday. Put back on the original sensor from the factory OPDA. Engine light came back on after 2 miles. Jeep still bucks a little. Have a apointment to get the Jeep reflashed tomorrow at the dealer.