Opinion on rear diff pattern

Jeepster78

TJ Enthusiast
Just finished my rear super 35 gear and locker install and want to see if these patterns look ok. Im new to doing gears and wanted some seasoned tj enthusiasts opinions if they should be fine and leave them or need to adjusted some more. Backlash is set at 6-7 thousandths and was checked in 4 different spots and the pinion nut is at 10 in lbs when rotating the gears.

FAF78750-E07C-4534-B932-5B1E7E88E9B6.jpeg

6B8D3845-1AC2-48C7-A54E-70D119D211AD.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JMT and Jablinski
Way too deep. Take out 10-15 thou and see where it puts you
When you say it’s too deep are you referring to the coast side pattern that creates a sharp straight line that is by the root of the gear tooth? I have watched your videos which were very helpful if you are bfh garage. Also with the pinion nut it say in the specs to have it 10-20 in lbs in rotation for old gears and 20-30 in lbs for new gears. Mine was at 10 but they are new gears do I need to put more torque on the pinion nut to get to the 20 in lbs? I believe I cranked it to 265 ft lbs.
Thanks

Also with the pinion nut it say in the specs to have it 10-20 in lbs in rotation for old gears and 20-30 in lbs for new gears. Mine was at 10 but they are new gears do I need to put more torque on the pinion nut to get to the 20 in lbs? I believe I cranked it to 265 ft lbs.
Thanks
Don't worry about the pinion nut torque spec, or crushing the new sleeve or measuring pinion bearing preload until the very end when you do the final install. Work on getting all your shims figured out and running contact patterns with the old crush sleeve and minimal torque on the nut (maybe 100 lb.ft, just guessing.) You really just need the pinion gear to be secure, not necessarily preloaded when you're running patterns. Apply preload to the RING GEAR to produce a more distinctive pattern.

When you say it’s too deep are you referring to the coast side pattern that creates a sharp straight line that is by the root of the gear tooth? I have watched your videos which were very helpful if you are bfh garage. Also with the pinion nut it say in the specs to have it 10-20 in lbs in rotation for old gears and 20-30 in lbs for new gears. Mine was at 10 but they are new gears do I need to put more torque on the pinion nut to get to the 20 in lbs? I believe I cranked it to 265 ft lbs.
Thanks
Yes that sharp line is a good indicator you are too deep. Not that we can always get the pretty little oval in the center of the tooth every time but that is what you want to shoot for. Do not get picky about your pinion during setup just leave out the preload shims/crush collar and using the old nut tighten it until you have some drag on the bearings. Once you have your pattern developed then set your final preload.

Thanks
Not only the sharp line at the root, but all the paint left at the top. When you have a desirable pattern, there should be a thin paint line right at topland. Not always, but usually. As far as pinion nut torque, it depends on whether you are using shims or a crush sleeve. Either way, I personally shoot for 16-20 in/lbs. If using a crush sleeve, torque amount will be what it will be once you reach the desired in/lbs. When using shims, find your 16-20 and then torque to spec and you're done.

I've set machinery on a industrial scale. What my experience has taught me is to know proper procedures and processes. The thing is to do this right you need to set the headspace or also known as pinion depth. These tools are expensive. In my case I mostly just machine my own. If buying or making these items is out of the question then you have to settle with what is good enough. There is simple math that can be done and or should be scribed into the pinion to know the value of the headspace. Centering of the ringgear is only to set gearlash. It is possible to have a good pattern and have bad dimensions. Most as long as they see a good pattern they sleep well at night. Bottom line is it's your vehicle be proud you can work on it but also understand that if the process is not followed it won't be perfect and that's OK.

I've set machinery on a industrial scale. What my experience has taught me is to know proper procedures and processes. The thing is to do this right you need to set the headspace or also known as pinion depth. These tools are expensive. In my case I mostly just machine my own. If buying or making these items is out of the question then you have to settle with what is good enough. There is simple math that can be done and or should be scribed into the pinion to know the value of the headspace. Centering of the ringgear is only to set gearlash. It is possible to have a good pattern and have bad dimensions. Most as long as they see a good pattern they sleep well at night. Bottom line is it's your vehicle be proud you can work on it but also understand that if the process is not followed it won't be perfect and that's OK.
To set up gears properly, you can certainly use the pinion depth gauge to get a good estimate on an initial pinion depth. But that only results in a starting point. You still need to pull a pattern for fine tuning. The pattern is what determines if you have the pinion depth and backlash correct. But you do need to know how to read it - which is a bit of an art.

I've never heard anyone claim that a good pattern does not result in a good setup. On what do you base this assertion?

I've never heard anyone claim that a good pattern does not result in a good setup. On what do you base this assertion?
Guy seems to be intentionally trolling multiple threads, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Gotta let people say whatever they want right? When I've made some stupid comments @Chris has told folks to just nod and smile. Might be best here.

Guy seems to be intentionally trolling multiple threads, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Gotta let people say whatever they want right? When I've made some stupid comments @Chris has told folks to just nod and smile. Might be best here.
Yeah, I get it. I just don't like leaving this stuff without a response because someone may think it's gospel. He did the same thing over on the thread about deleting the smog system. He did not respond there, either...

Reactions: pagrey
@Chris has told folks to just nod and smile. Might be best here.

You have no clue how fucking annoyed I am with certain people constantly fighting and bickering like little cry babies.

It blows my mind that some of these people are grown adults and can’t even be remotely civil with each other. I don’t expect anyone to agree on everything, but the way that some of these guys go about their disagreements with one another is nothing short of childish.

I get PMs semi-regularly about it from other people too. Everyone wants to tattle on each other, rat each other out, and suggest that so-and-so gets banned.

You should see how many people alone have messaged me about you. Believe it or not, I stand up for you every time.

You should really, reallllly see what goes on in private, I’ll say that much. You’d really start to see what I mean when I say that a lot of these guys are truly behaving like children.

All I want is for people to at least try and be civil. It makes my job easier and it makes the forum hopefully a nicer place.

I realize it’s probably a hopeless cause, I just don’t understand it. I suppose everything is so divided politically now that’s it’s boiled over into every day life.

I personally could care less if someone is running a Metalcloak lift. I’m not going to recommend it, but I’m also not going to take it personally.

Yeah, I get it. I just don't like leaving this stuff without a response because someone may think it's gospel. He did the same thing over on the thread about deleting the smog system. He did not respond there, either...
You’re right to respond for these reasons, and I appreciate that you’re not doing it in the same way that some folks are.