Opinions on 2.5 automatic TJ?

There is an episode of Four Wheeler (w/ Ian Johnson) that takes a 2.5 and swaps in the 4.0. He shows all of the work involved. It's a lot. If you really want a 4.0, then buy one. If the 2.5 is that clean (and cheap), buy it. Drop the gears down to 4.56 or 4.88 with 31 in tires and have fun!

My 4.0 with the automatic won't set any speed records either. However, the fun factor of driving a Jeep (regardless) of the motor is worth it!

it‘s been awhile since I looked but I think around 3000 rpm at 60 mph… I like driveing it in 50-55 mph range… I’m retired and in no hurry… I got my gears from USA gears and did the work myself…

Don’t let the young whipper snappers scare you… you can still have a lot of fun in a 2.5L auto!…😎

LOL ... I'm pretty sure it would do all I want to do ... It is still listed for sale .. I'd say others are afraid of the 2.5 and auto also .....

There is an episode of Four Wheeler (w/ Ian Johnson) that takes a 2.5 and swaps in the 4.0. He shows all of the work involved. It's a lot. If you really want a 4.0, then buy one. If the 2.5 is that clean (and cheap), buy it. Drop the gears down to 4.56 or 4.88 with 31 in tires and have fun!

My 4.0 with the automatic won't set any speed records either. However, the fun factor of driving a Jeep (regardless) of the motor is worth it!

I'm still watching for a 4.0 not really in any hurry .. part of my problem is that I want one that is clean inside and out ... they are out there but living in a rural area it's hard to get to the good one's before there gone.

It’s that clean because no one likes driving the 2.5 :) A few of the guys I wheel with have JKs and really like them…. more creature comforts than the TJs. TJs are easier to work on if that’s what you’re looking for

We do most all our own work and do prefer to stay with the older model's .... I wouldn't pass on a good jk if it comes along.

Reactions: inkedrose
The automatic makes that 2.5 an even worse choice, I wouldn't touch it. The 2.5 with the 5-speed is not bad at all and is a great offroad vehicle (not as good on the highway though) but that automatic transmission just kills it for the 2.5.

I'm not an automatic transmission hater, I love them! I even converted my previous TJ to an automatic and my current TJ is an automatic but I wouldn't touch a Wrangler with the 2.5 engine if it has the automatic transmission.

Thanks Jerry ... that helps a lot ... I would prefer the 4.0 with auto trans ... I still look at the manuals also but for us just cruising the back roads a auto will be best

I agree ... we have had (still have) several old style cherokee's and grands and have had a lot of fun with those .. son drive's one to work every day with 250,000 miles on it ... trans has been slipping in first for 2 years and is still not any worse than when it started slipping ... it should be out but keeps going ... we even have another one on the shelf ready to go.

I just turned 75 and was still doing tough rock crawling trails at 74 and still doing all my own work.

This was earlier this year. 😊

View attachment 372252

View attachment 372253

View attachment 372254

View attachment 372255

We are a couple of the lucky ones to be able to play with the kids ... you have a nice looking rig ... and I can tell by the pics that you are sitting on a bigger pair than I am :oops: ... We do ride some step trails but mostly will be cruising back roads with ma and sipping on a cold coke cola

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Just to keep it in perspective, the OP is 72 years old and is not likely inclined to do any serious off-roading or a ton of mechanical work. ;)

Exactly ... I do have a 37 year old son that likes to play also and I can talk him into doing most of the work ;) ... As far as serious off roading I can stop and watch the kids do the crazy stuff ... I enjoy that .... I don't know why but .... I still have trouble going around a mud hole :(;):cool:

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I have had 2 CJs with the 258, 2 Wranglers with the 4.0, and a JK with the 3.6.

My 2.5 TJ (no top, less weight where i can, 31s) is slower than all my previous ones. But Marginally. Since I sit in lots of stop/go traffic, that doesnt really matter and I am perfectly happy.

Auto or manual?

My TJ is 1997 with a 2.5L auto that has a 4” lift and 33” tires which I regeared to 4.88 from the stock 3.73… It is more than capable to run the fire roads and trails in central and northern Arkansas…I can still run 60-65 on the highway and I haven’t found anywhere I can’t go (that I wanted to go) in 4lo…if the price is right don’t let the 2.5L scare you, drive it yourself and see… Clean ones are getting hard to find around here

Adding this thread to the four-cylinder resource.

(y)

I want to thank everyone for the help and reply's ... I'm having a little trouble telling who I have responded to ... Hope to get that figured out as I spend more time here ... I love the input and advice ... it helps on my decision ... keep it coming ... pretty sure I'm getting everything read ...