Opinions on 241OR Rubicon Transfer Case?

I plan on doing some wheeling and crawling with my TJ once I get her up and running again. My engine bit the dust about a month after I picked it up, and before I even really used the 4x4. Not really planning on mud bogging or stuff like that regularly. I'm also doing a TDi swap with everything so I was thinking the lower gearing of the 241R with the low TQ of the diesel would be a steady combo.

You rarely used 4x4?

Its funny to me to compare wheeling habits based on region. Seems anyone east of the Mississippi has a "throttle down and out" mentality. Whereas West is slow and finesse

Depends on who you wheel with. If I'm out with a group and hear someone yell "yee yee" and slap a monster sticker on their rig, I know to stay the hell away from them (or wait for the spectacle thats bound to occur).

I'm not assuming anything, I just based my opinion on the "Southern rock bouncer" term you used. That's a very descriptive term, unless it doesn't accurately describe what is happening.

Well when you wheel down here, people say “bounce it” all the time. It just means give it some throttle and get over it pussy!” We refer to bouncing like its slang. You don’t know though cause you don’t wheel around this Area. It’s like a joke.

Example: “damn he just bounced his shit!” It could be a Jeep on 33s just giving it hell to get over a ledge.

Well when you wheel down here, people say “bounce it” all the time. It just means give it some throttle and get over it pussy!” We refer to bouncing like its slang. You don’t know though cause you don’t wheel around this Area. It’s like a joke.

Example: “damn he just bounced his shit!” It could be a Jeep on 33s just giving it hell to get over a ledge.
Thing is, when posters are looking for serious input, in this case for the 241 TC, it's probably best to spell out exactly what you are actually talking about, and avoid slang, jokes, and regional phrases, that some won't understand, and require translation in order to get a straight answer...doesn't that make sense?

Thing is, when posters are looking for serious input, in this case for the 241 TC, it's probably best to spell out exactly what you are actually talking about, and avoid slang, jokes, and regional phrases, that some won't understand, and require translation in order to get a straight answer...doesn't that make sense?
I’m trying to ask questions as well as I think I want 4:1 and the 32 spline outputs.
I mention “bouncing” and the web wheelers come out!
I’m on a tj forum. You think I’m in a bouncer on 14 bolts? Let’s use common sense and stop posting worthless posts and playing who can piss the furthest. Pretty soon one of these web wheels will post a pic of their atlas case I’m sure.

You rarely used 4x4?
I didn't get to any trails before my engine crapped out. So other than checking the 4x4 on dry pavement when I got the Jeep, only used it once in some soft mud at a job site. My TJ will get plenty of time in 4x4 between hunting, camping, driving in snow, crawling, and so forth, but I was just saying I didn't have much experience with my current setup to know how it would relate to the 241R.

I didn't get to any trails before my engine crapped out. So other than checking the 4x4 on dry pavement when I got the Jeep, only used it once in some soft mud at a job site. My TJ will get plenty of time in 4x4 between hunting, camping, driving in snow, crawling, and so forth, but I was just saying I didn't have much experience with my current setup to know how it would relate to the 241R.
Have you been in a Jeep with 4:1?

Nope. This TJ is my first Jeep.
Hard to answer then. I personally like the 4:1 for where I’m at. With my Jeep I could have an 80:1 crawl ratio in first for crawling dry stuff and cruising rocky creek beds and like a 50:1 when in second gear for higher wheel speeds to hit muddy hills or wet ledges.

I’m also running a manual trans, so it’s nice to have a low speed when crawling through rocky areas.
Ya, part of the reason I'm strongly considering it is due to having a manual. Being able to save my clutch as much as possible in the technical and steep areas will help in the long run. I watched a number of videos of guys using their 4:1 and I get that it's slow (maybe even too slow for some) but I'm kind of a "have but might not need it" kinda guy. When you don't need it, you don't think much of it, but when you don't have it and need it you won't stop kicking yourself for opting out of it.

Reactions: MallCrawlOnTons