Opinions on 241OR Rubicon Transfer Case?

Ya, part of the reason I'm strongly considering it is due to having a manual. Being able to save my clutch as much as possible in the technical and steep areas will help in the long run. I watched a number of videos of guys using their 4:1 and I get that it's slow (maybe even too slow for some) but I'm kind of a "have but might not need it" kinda guy. When you don't need it, you don't think much of it, but when you don't have it and need it you won't stop kicking yourself for opting out of it.
Sounds like your getting a 241 :sisi3:

Reactions: TreverStevens
Its funny to me to compare wheeling habits based on region. Seems anyone east of the Mississippi has a "throttle down and out" mentality. Whereas West is slow and finesse

Assuming your definition of east of Mississippi is the east coast..

Not all's Buddy!

The ones that know, enjoy what we are doing and care about our rigs doesn't share the mentality you are describing. By the way We tend to not group with them much.

Even when the terrain challenges are different We also do the things on slow and technical way.

Reactions: tworley and jjvw
I have an image in my head when I think of a Southern rock bouncer. Is that an appropriate application for a Rubicon 241?
A 241 would never last in a rock bouncer in the south. Billet cases or straight cases is where its at. Some bouncers are running 14 bolt fronts because of Dana 60 front ends not being able to stay together.

Last edited:
Reactions: jjvw
I'm waiting on a 241 to be pulled nearby that I hope to buy. Most of my wheeling in the PNW trails dont require it but it would be nice in the rocky stuff and if I ever make it to the Rubicon trail (4.56 gears with 35s and a manual would be rough I think).

I tend to run 2nd gear alot and even 3rd in 4low with my 231.
Is it ok to cruise in 4low and say 4th gear with the 241 for the flat stretchs between obstacles or is that a no go? Would be kind of annoying to put it in and out of 4low all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm waiting on a 241 to be pulled nearby that I hope to buy. Most of my wheeling in the PNW trails dont require it but it would be nice in the rocky stuff and if I ever make it to the Rubicon trail (4.56 gears with 35s and a manual would be rough I think).

I tend to run 2nd gear alot and even 3rd in 4low with my 231.
Is it ok to cruise in 4low and say 4th gear with the 241 for the flat stretchs between obstacles or is that a no go? Would be kind of annoying to put it in and out of 4low all the time.

You will be switching...but its really easy and not annoying. FWIW, you'll hit the rev limiter in 5th gear with the 4:1 T-case in low at under 25 mph...

You will be switching...but its really easy and not annoying. FWIW, you'll hit the rev limiter in 5th gear with the 4:1 T-case in low at under 25 mph...
I'd be okay if I can Cruise along at about 10 or so. I've just heard different things about if it's okay to drive in 4th or 5th gear with the Rubicon transfer case.

I'd be okay if I can Cruise along at about 10 or so. I've just heard different things about if it's okay to drive in 4th or 5th gear with the Rubicon transfer case.

I use OD in 4low on my 241 often enough to go short distances (an admittedly vague and nebulous term). If the travel distance is long enough, I'll move to 4h/2h.

One thing that I really appreciate about my regear is that I am able to use 4H/2H far more often when off pavement.

Rocks in the desert are different the rocks in the hills of Tennessee. People in the west have to bump some obstacles. I'm sure there are wheelbase traps and occasionally muddy, slimy rocks and ledges.

@Jerry Bransford , how well is your tc tucked? Do you have a pic of your tc skid?

Last edited:
Reactions: Fouledplugs
I went with the Atlas 4 speed which just arrived last week. I have a terra low 4:1 currently and love it at times and wish I had a higher gear besides the 1:1 high range at other times. I wheel all kinds of terrain from Moab to Colorado and varying difficulty. So I went for it. I will have 1:1, 2.72:1, 3.8:1 and 10.34:1 ratios I should have all my needs covered once it is in. I doubt I’ll use the 10.34:1 much but the other options had at least two of the ratios that seemed to close to one another tone worth it so I got the monster box. I plan on doing a big install right up as I put it in. I’m adding a separate crossmember so the belly pan isn’t holding it all up.

I'm looking forward to this. Please be sure to note how much hangs below the frame rails.
I’m hoping it doesn’t hang any further than my current belly pan from my long arm lift. I have a one inch body lift so it should clock up pretty flat. I have a 5” rear stretch so I should be fine with my driveshaft length also as this 4 speed measures 1.75” longer than my current set up

I have a Rubi. I hate the low range and really never need it. Unless your goal is to climb a waterfall..... stick with the Sport box.

Back the day, before the environmentalists succeeded in closing Surprise Canyon near Death Valley to vehicles, climbing waterfalls was the goal. I was fortunate to be able to traverse the canyon before the ban. As I recall there were 7 waterfalls, and some sections required winch lines fore and aft.

A photo harvested from the Interweb (I don't know the driver or the spectator):

p10100197sz.jpg

231 with a rubicrawler gives you 4 speed tcase and ability to have a flat tcase skid plate. Oh, and better driveshaft angles.

Is it common for a 231 to fail?