Opinions on a TJ I am about to purchase

The wheels look great. So as everyone is saying 15’s for rims - can you not put bigger rims on the JT? Not that I want to anyway but I’m curious. I quite like these

View attachment 134759

I'm very new at all this, but I believe you can put bigger rims on a TJ. The only bad thing about putting bigger rims is the sidewall will be smaller. The issue you start running into with that is the narrow the side wall, the less you have for airing down for going over obstacles and such. Sorry, probably not the best description, but I'm sure someone with more expertise and a better way with words could explain it better. :D

I would stick with 15" rims, will give you a better ride, keep your tires at 26 lb psi as well. Most tire places like to inflate to max pressure and it will give you a harder, bouncier ride. Here is mine on 15" wheels, 31 x 10.5 tires, and H & R springs.
IMG_1629.JPG

First... Just drive it.

Also do the regular maintenance, any fluids the PO might have missed and address anything questionable that the PO might have or might have not done.

After that... Just drive it.

Get comfortable with the new ride first. Figure out how you want to use it and then plan on changes you want to make. Everyone here would love to give you advice and go along on the build ride with you, but at the some time just about everyone here also has a story of a mod they jumped into and ended up changing directions on before it was finished. Take some time to get comfortable and enjoy what you've bought before changing it.

Reactions: Airjunky
everyone is saying 15’s for rims - can you not put bigger rims on the JT?
Yes, 25,16,17 are common but
15 gives the best tire selection.
16 tends to be tires for full size trucks, 3/4 ton and up.
17 is becoming the standard for light trucks and Wranglers. A full mix of tires are available.

Here is a pic of my Jeep sitting on 31x10.5x15's. Mine is stock hight. As you can see the tires stick out passed the fenders a little. I like the look of it like that. :D

View attachment 134697

Here is a side shot.

View attachment 134698

Mine is pretty well stock as far as suspension goes, (as far as I know). I run my tire psi at about 28 lbs. That (to me) gives it a pretty smooth ride going down the road.

agreed, in my view that's exactly the one thing that makes TJs look the best; solid fat base of a foundation that tapers as it goes up... it all starts with the tires sticking out a bit

Reactions: Tigger09
I remember when I thought I was gonna do some after market stuff to my Jeep. All my money just goes to whatever decides to fail for the month. Frame/axle rust? Maybe. Radiator? Who knows. Steering box? Possibly. Doesn’t wanna start because the fuel pump you put in 7 months ago needs to be changed again? You bet, this month it’s the head or maybe the head gasket. We’ll find out tomorrow.

I do recommend having a shop take a look at it before you purchase. They’ll give you a good idea of what’s wrong or not. Definitely take your time when you are looking and make sure you want it 100%. I bought mine kinda on a whim and wish I had stuck it out for a nicer one. 15,000 miles and $4000-4500 in various repairs later. Mostly frame

Whatever you do keep some money aside for repairs. Something WILL go wrong and you don't want to be in that position where you just blew all your cash on tires (or "tyres" :)) and something important craps the bed. The number one job of every Wrangler is to develop unique and often untraceable noises and behaviors at the worst possible times, and then to have the resolutions to those problems cost more money than you currently have to spend. They're very good at it. That's been my experience.

I don't need to see more pic's til the tube bumpers are gone .

Hey Chris ha, I’m not keen either. That being said it’s the chrome I’m hating. I was thinking about painting them black?! Obviously it’s my opinion that matters most but keen to hear what others think and potential other options.

I remember when I thought I was gonna do some after market stuff to my Jeep. All my money just goes to whatever decides to fail for the month. Frame/axle rust? Maybe. Radiator? Who knows. Steering box? Possibly. Doesn’t wanna start because the fuel pump you put in 7 months ago needs to be changed again? You bet, this month it’s the head or maybe the head gasket. We’ll find out tomorrow.

I do recommend having a shop take a look at it before you purchase. They’ll give you a good idea of what’s wrong or not. Definitely take your time when you are looking and make sure you want it 100%. I bought mine kinda on a whim and wish I had stuck it out for a nicer one. 15,000 miles and $4000-4500 in various repairs later. Mostly frame

Hi Joseph,

I got it checked thoroughly before buying and it’s mechanically I’m very good condition. Picking it up Thursday! Thanks for the advice

Reactions: lowranger
It looks like a nice TJ.

We will have to keep you a level 5 member if you keep the tube bumpers.

We have different requirements for Australia and New Zealand... We aren't sure how venomous snakes... Great white sharks... And the group Air Supply occupy the same country.