Opinions on Aluminum Trail Doors

Eewww...

Pretty rough with dings & dents. Interior panels would need refinish, interior door latch not working. Don't know if I want to spend the time to repair, paint, etc. when I can powder coat the GR and toss them on.

He also left the uppers but they need new skins. Are those available for the OEM? I know someone addressed that but wasn't in that mode at the time.

View attachment 318690

View attachment 318691
I had to do a lot of work on mine, it’s quite the project. I think if mine was black I would go the genright route for now. You could restore the factory doors over time; and if you don’t need them sell em! I had to get all new locks, seals, etc

Eewww...

Pretty rough with dings & dents. Interior panels would need refinish, interior door latch not working. Don't know if I want to spend the time to repair, paint, etc. when I can powder coat the GR and toss them on.

He also left the uppers but they need new skins. Are those available for the OEM? I know someone addressed that but wasn't in that mode at the time.

View attachment 318690

View attachment 318691

I'll take the OEM half doors off your hands for an inexpensive price.

Reactions: Irun and NOTNSUV
I had to do a lot of work on mine, it’s quite the project. I think if mine was black I would go the genright route for now. You could restore the factory doors over time; and if you don’t need them sell em! I had to get all new locks, seals, etc
Likely the route I'll go. I have enough Jeep to-do on my list to spend a lot of time on these.

Reactions: Dunkut88TJ
For a dead ass simple trail door, you can weld steel skins to the Bestop soft lowers. PSC sells them, or used too. I’ll check if they are still around.View attachment 318388View attachment 318386View attachment 318387View attachment 318389View attachment 318390View attachment 318382View attachment 318383View attachment 318384View attachment 318385

It comes out really nice imo, and you get to retain the shitty Bestop latch. I’ll order some skins this month, find my Bestop lowers, and see if I can get them welded up.
I'm thinking about doing this but weld on tabs and add aluminum plate. I will NOT be retaining that shit latch that besttop uses. I hate those rattle pieces of junk.

Reactions: Fouledplugs
I'm looking for half doors right now. I'd like to go factory but there are positives of going with an aluminum trail door. Would I be crazy to paint the aluminum door or maybe polish them or should I just leave them raw?

I'm looking for half doors right now. I'd like to go factory but there are positives of going with an aluminum trail door. Would I be crazy to paint the aluminum door or maybe polish them or should I just leave them raw?

Mine came powdercoated black and look fine on my Jeep but in the right light my Jeep looks black.

But the scheme of mine is blue with a lot of black too so I’m ok with it.