Opinions on Aluminum Trail Doors

Actually at one point I was going to build Savvy’s website. I’m not sure what happened (maybe it was a miscommunication with Martin), but I completely lost contact with them and simply never heard back from anyone.

It’s a shame, because I had a pretty good website design I came up with them.

I didn’t even want money either. I told them I would do it simply in exchange for parts.

Did you build this site? Because this is my favorite forum UI I use.

Savvy offers the factory hinges for a bit more, just a note.

Just a note on this. They offer factory hinges they will ship you with them. But the doors will not be drilled for the hinges. They will come with the holes for the smaller hinges and you will have to try and line up and drill them yourself.

I like my Savvy trail doors a lot. But if you are really concerned about OEM hinges. I would not get them.

06A005DE-80E9-46F1-951D-3777EE1160C0.jpeg

In regards to people talking half vs full doors. My new OEM half doors are the best thing since Sliced Bread.

So I've slept on it on it a few nights, and had more than a few drinks to help clear my head. I decided on the JCR doors. Just ordered them tonight. After a 10% off code, free shipping, and no tax, my out the door price was $395.
Now I'm trying to decide if I want to try to paint match them, or just paint them black.
Ordered mine powder coated

014469F5-973B-4D0B-A95F-FA77D17B845B.jpeg

I would guess that adding a pull string to the JCR wouldn't be difficult. Using paracord it might look just fine. The latch probably works just like any of the others I've seen and has an arm for that already. Might call JCR and ask? I've done a few pull stings on factory latches before, it wasn't difficult.
Exactly why the Savvy doors have a forward release.

Reactions: pagrey
In my previous life as part of upper management, we watched the owner dump thousands upon thousands upon weeks and months of time on our company website only to get something far worse than Savvy (which really isn't that bad). So, in my experience a good website is easier said than done. Yet I know for others, a good website is ridiculously easy if the right people are involved. We didn't have that.

I think the same can be said about building jeeps.

Reactions: jjvw
I run hardtop November-April and a Trektop NX May-October, with windows on only for highway trips with the family.

Right now, I take my full doors off and back on dozens of times per season because Colorado mornings can be a little chilly even in June, and if I drive a couple hours on the interstate they control the wind well enough even if the back windows are off. But then that sometimes means I choose between drive hours to a trail and being stuck with my full doors, or getting there hypothermic and fatigued from the wind beating and being stuck without them if a surprise storm rolls in.

If I had half doors, I would run them and probably keep them on for all of soft top season. I would get an extra passenger mirror so both passenger doors would have one and I could ditch the windshield hinge mount that's too far forward for the passenger side mirror to be useful. I'd carry upper doors (preferably sliders) under the back half of the top to throw on for the road trips or if I happened to get caught out in one of Colorado's almost daily summer afternoon rainstorms.

Since they wouldn't just be an on/off trail door, I still lean toward finding a factory pair so I have the luxury of a factory inner door panel and whatever noise reduction it offers.

Now just to find a pair in Forest Green Pearl for a reasonable amount of money that isn't just listed online as being "green".

Reactions: Apparition
Actually at one point I was going to build Savvy’s website. I’m not sure what happened (maybe it was a miscommunication with Martin), but I completely lost contact with them and simply never heard back from anyone.
That might have happened about the time Marty left Savvy.

Here's a photo I took of Martin and the late Jessi Combs when they were driving for Savvy at King of the Hammers in 2017. It saddens me every time I think of her and what happened, she was such a great and really nice woman. :cry:

Jessi & Martin.jpg

That might have happened about the time Marty left Savvy.

Here's a photo I took of Martin and the late Jessi Combs when they were driving for Savvy at King of the Hammers in 2017. It saddens me every time I think of her and what happened, she was such a great and really nice woman. :cry:

View attachment 156412

I think that may indeed be the case.

I agree, that is really sad what happened to her 😕

Yes, I built this site.

I would still love to build Savvy's website if they let me. That's my job, web designer:

https://digitalskydesign.com

Your website rocks and its not crushed by streaming ads and pop-up videos that absolutely ruined Jeepforum. You sir have created a FINE product!

One thing to note, i believe Genright and Savvy are the only 6061 options, might make a difference it your leaning against stuff with your doors. Not sure, i have yet to smack my full doors but I'm going to be getting some half doors before I do smack them! I'm leaning toward Genright doors or basically anything if I can find it used for 1/2 price ish.

It really is impressive.

Do you work for a company or in business for yourself?

I am self-employed. Digital Sky Design is my company name I setup for my web design business. That's always been my main gig. This forum is simply a result of my love for the TJ and my passion for web design. 5 years ago I decided I might as well do something since I am good with web related stuff, and hence this forum was born. It continues to evolve, but I think it's for the better.

At one point they (the company that owns the other forums) tried to buy me out, but I declined. I have no interest, as my interest remains in TJs and running the site.

So you’d really hate wheeling with full doors.
Well, the other side of that is doors are always in mortal danger out there. We've mentioned with very enthusiastic words that one should not go on the trail with full doors or doors that are not somewhat disposable. A few have ignored that much to our amusement. About 50 yards into the trail, doors came off and two passengers carried them down the trail the rest of the day. We got to giggle a bunch that day.