Opinions on fiberglass highlines?

Blake Stamper

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Okay so for reference I have been talking to Jscherb about the creation of both oem style and flat style fiberglass highlines and we both agreed that the best thing to do is bring this to you guys and get your opinions on the matter to make sure this is a worthwhile endeavor. Below are questions that will help us decide if it’s worth it. I also just want to see if there is an interest in this or if AEV’s kit went dead for a reason.

1. What style should the fenders be? Flat fenders or factory-look fenders? I've done design work on both, some concept views:

HighLineStyles.jpg

2. How much tire clearance should the fenders provide? The AEV kit basically left the inner fenders at the stock height so engine compartment accessories that mount to the fenders wouldn't need to be relocated. While the AEV design made the conversion much easier, it doesn't provide the maximum clearance for larger tires. In this image from the AEV instructions you can see how the outer fender is much higher than the inner fender...

AEVInnerFender.jpg

3. If the decision is to do factory look fenders, flares would probably also need to be done, and to be complete, matching higher rear flares probably should be done. This is a photo from the AEV instructions showing their hiline rear flares:

AEVRearFlares.jpg

4. What about a hiline hood? Many people are hesitant to cut their factory hood, and cutting it leaves a lower edge with no flange so it's sharp and weak. Should a hiline hood be offered?

5. Maybe do just a hiline flare kit? There are lots of ways to do a hiline conversion by hacking the factory fenders and hood, but there's no good solution for taller flares. Maybe just doing hiline flares to go with DIY conversions would be a popular product? Basically similar to the AEV flares, which are highly sought after and extremely expensive these days.

6. Would there even be enough demand for a hiline kit these days to make it worth the effort to get a kit into production? Apparently AEV decided that there wasn't, because they discontinued their kit some years ago. And would people want a fiberglass kit? There seems to be some sentiment against fiberglass body parts vs. steel or aluminum, would people be turned off by fiberglass and not purchase a fiberglass kit?

Rocks vs Fiberglass? :unsure:

This was my first thought. Isn't fiberglass brittle? Or are you thinking something similar to Bushwacker flares that are plastic and flexible?

Before I got my LJ, I had a JKU. I ended up getting Xenon flat flares. I needed tire clearance and got them used. They were decent because they were flexible, but I wasn't too crazy about how they looked.

Another consideration if you're designing these for TJ's: Many companies that design Jeep parts have discontinued products because TJ's are old, not enough demand. To some degree, many of the TJ's out there are already modified to their owners liking. So you're target consumer is someone who bought a used TJ and wants to change the look or function. So questionable if it would be worth it to you. If you're looking to make money, you'd be better of designing something for the JL. Even JK parts would probably sell more than TJ.

I would think what would be higher demand would be the hood. Even without AEV there are highlines available, so I think that market may be saturated. The hood on the other hand, is something a lot of highline owners might wish they had to address the cut edge issues you bring up, and might push those on the fence about highlines for the same reasons, to go ahead with it.

Reactions: Artsifrtsi
I would think what would be higher demand would be the hood. Even without AEV there are highlines available, so I think that market may be saturated. The hood on the other hand, is something a lot of highline owners might wish they had to address the cut edge issues you bring up, and might push those on the fence about highlines for the same reasons, to go ahead with it.
Fiberglass highline hoods are available. I have a highline hood for the new build because I'd rather sell my hood and fenders than cut it.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
Factory-style fenders look better than flat 95% of the time. I like flatties but they rarely look right on a TJ.

I like the idea of integrating factory-style fenders fenders into the hood.

Fiberglass can break but it's also easy to repair.

Have you thought about highlining your stock fenders with MCE flairs? Not sure if that’s been done before
Yes. Though there is no benefit for me with the current setup. If I do a highline it would be part of not having any flares at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: IPerkWVU
I can see a fiberglass hood but I'd never run fiberglass fenders which would break way too easily when offroading.
This is what happened to my old Bushwhacker vinyl fenders,show these to Jscherb.

CIMG2644.JPG
CIMG2695.JPG

Reactions: suicideking
Factory-style fenders look better than flat 95% of the time. I like flatties but they rarely look right on a TJ.

I like the idea of integrating factory-style fenders fenders into the hood.

Fiberglass can break but it's also easy to repair.

You're definitely entitled to your opinion. Though I disagree with you and think most aftermarket fenders look better and are more suited for running trails.

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but I remember a few of his build threads on the older Jeep forums of him physically standing on the fiberglass hoods and fenders he designed and they didn’t seem to buckle at all under his weight. I’m not sure how well they would handle a whack on the trail but if they can handle a full man’s weight that gives me confidence.

I’d be interested in something like this.

I don’t have a dog in the fight, but I remember a few of his build threads on the older Jeep forums of him physically standing on the fiberglass hoods and fenders he designed and they didn’t seem to buckle at all under his weight. I’m not sure how well they would handle a whack on the trail but if they can handle a full man’s weight that gives me confidence.

200lbs of meat standing on a fender compared to 4500lbs of Jeep pushing against a rock or tree are two different things. For me, one of these scenarios is more common than the other.

The carbon fiber hoods look interesting. But there is other places the next $700 I spend on the Jeep needs to go.

Reactions: jjvw

To put that in perspective, I have warned a few good friends not to install aluminum fenders with a welded on flare if they plan to run certain trails in JV. I was ignored, then we watched them try to get Genright warranty a fender that had the flare mashed in even with the side of the tub. They declined, and they also declined to sell one side.

I guess the upside with fiberglass is you could have glassed all the pieces back together and not been fully out in the cold.

To put that in perspective, I have warned a few good friends not to install aluminum fenders with a welded on flare if they plan to run certain trails in JV. I was ignored, then we watched them try to get Genright warranty a fender that had the flare mashed in even with the side of the tub. They declined, and they also declined to sell one side.

I guess the upside with fiberglass is you could have glassed all the pieces back together and not been fully out in the cold.
I can’t do much about the fronts as they are already on there. The rear will be bolt on flares when I get to them.

There is fiberglass and then there is fiberglass. The wrong kind is a chopper gun layup of short fibers mixed with resin and blown on with a gun. It is quite brittle and very subject to cracking/breaking because the short glass strands. The right way to do glass is cloth and mat laid up by hand as the cloth has long strands that are tough and will bend before cracking. Look for the imprint of the cloth on unpainted/unfinished interiors of anything you buy made from fiberglass. Bought Baja fender kit for a VW that was quite cheap. First time I tackled some mildly challenging terrain, the fenders cracked because they were chopper gun layups. Repaired them by glassing fiberglass cloth behind the cracks