Opinions on regear plan

nacra780

I should be finishing up my lift next weekend. Next up is tires and re-gearing. Two things I am not sure about. Looking for opinions.
Was set on 4.10 gear, but recent reading has me thinking I should go to 4.56?
Plan to use Chromalloy axles in the rear, but I have read negative things about using these. Will the rear bearings degrade them? What is the next best option?
Thanks

2005 Model X
4.0L
6-speed Manual
BFG KO 33 x 10.5 Tires
Front Axle - Power trax no slip, 30-spline Chromalloy axles
Rear Axle - Detroit True Trac, 27-spline Chromalloy axles
4.10 or 4.56 gears

I should be finishing up my lift next weekend. Next up is tires and re-gearing. Two things I am not sure about. Looking for opinions.
Was set on 4.10 gear, but recent reading has me thinking I should go to 4.56?
Plan to use Chromalloy axles in the rear, but I have read negative things about using these. Will the rear bearings degrade them? What is the next best option?
Thanks

2005 Model X
4.0L
6-speed Manual
BFG KO 33 x 10.5 Tires
Front Axle - Power trax no slip, 30-spline Chromalloy axles
Rear Axle - Detroit True Trac, 27-spline Chromalloy axles
4.10 or 4.56 gears
For 33” wheels with manual tranny, the majority consensus would say 4.56 gear ratio. Is your rear axle a Dana 35 since it’s 27 spline? If so it would be smart to look into the Super 35 upgrade.

For 33” wheels with manual tranny, the majority consensus would say 4.56 gear ratio. Is your rear axle a Dana 35 since it’s 27 spline? If so it would be smart to look into the Super 35 upgrade.
A Super 35 is a great upgrade when needed but it's not really needed for 33" tires running a Truetrac limited slip differential. If he was running a locker with his 33's or if he was running 35's then yes a Super 35 would be my recommendation too.

Nacra780, for your 33's and 6-speed, you could go with 4.10 or 4.56. 4.56 is the usual recommendation for the 5-speed but your 6-speed has slightly lower ratios which means it gives slightly higher rpms than you'd get with the 5-speed. I'd say go 4.10 if your Jeep sees much highway time with not so much offroad time. But if it sees more offroad time without much highway time, 4.56 would be a great choice.

Reactions: derekmac
I have a Rubicon that came stock with 4:10 gearing and with 33 inch tires it would not get out of its own way.

It's a manual so I went 4: 56 and it is excellent.

Going to 4:10 gearing would be a waste of money.

I have a Rubicon that came stock with 4:10 gearing and with 33 inch tires it would not get out of its own way.

It's a manual so I went 4: 56 and it is excellent.

Going to 4:10 gearing would be a waste of money.
Your Rubicon is a 5-speed or a 6-speed like the OP has?

Your Rubicon is a 5-speed or a 6-speed like the OP has?
mine is a five-speed and I may have missed that so if I'm out of school on my post forgive me... I don't know enough about the 6-speed to be saying anything.

4.56 or 4.88 if you are looking for a lower crawl ratio. Skip the 30 spline Dana 30 axles, install 5-760x ujoints in the stock axles and go from there. Use 27 spline 1541H axles in rear. NoSlip and TT is a great combo if not doing tire lifting rock crawling as the majority of your off road adventures.

Reactions: jazngab
4.56 or 4.88 if you are looking for a lower crawl ratio. Skip the 30 spline Dana 30 axles, install 5-760x ujoints in the stock axles and go from there. Use 27 spline 1541H axles in rear. NoSlip and TT is a great combo if not doing tire lifting rock crawling as the majority of your off road adventures.
Do you have a build thread?

Thanks for all the input. I do mostly highway driving with some off-road when I can. I think I will go with the 4.10. The true track limited slip differential fits my usage. I wish they made it in a Dana 35 30-spline configuration because I like would go with the Super 35. Don't want to spend the money on selectable lockers right now.

Any comments on the rear axle? Any harm with using Chromalloy in the rear?

Thanks for all the input. I do mostly highway driving with some off-road when I can. I think I will go with the 4.10. The true track limited slip differential fits my usage. I wish they made it in a Dana 35 30-spline configuration because I like would go with the Super 35. Don't want to spend the money on selectable lockers right now.

Any comments on the rear axle? Any harm with using Chromalloy in the rear?
What ratio is in there now? The rear axles should be a 1541H material. As Blaine explained with pics in another thread, the 43xx series hardening will break down at the bearing contact.

3.07, stock ratio, is in the jeep now. Still running stock wheels tires for now. I thought I had seen that somewhere. Thanks for the link.

I dropped off my Jeep last week after deciding to go with 4.56 instead of 4.10 per recommendation of @Rob5589. I have the 4.0 5spd and currently running 31s.

Last edited:
You are going to be really happy when you get it back.

So I'm about 300 miles into the break in and I'm pretty damn happy with the new 4:56's and my 6-speed! So far so good. No vibes, no problems as of yet. I am really looking forward to having about 2000 miles on it and knowing nothing's going to crater.

So I'm about 300 miles into the break in and I'm pretty damn happy with the new 4:56's and my 6-speed! So far so good. No vibes, no problems as of yet. I am really looking forward to having about 2000 miles on it and knowing nothing's going to crater.
It's pretty safe to think if nothing is acting up now it's not going to do anything.

Keep driving it easy and try to run it in 4-wheel drive some too and it will all work out good.