Opinions on self defense shotgun shells

Do some research on home defense scenarios. The one's that have actually happened. Plan accordingly.

You may not like yourself very much after you have done all the mental, emotional and physical training required to defend your home. Have a Lawyer picked out who specializes in the defensive use of firearms. Have a Clergyman selected that will help you with your head afterwards. Have money set aside for your legal defense and to cover lost wages and etc. Be prepared for the scrutiny of the community and the social changes that occur afterwards.

Ammunition selection is the least of your worries.
I quit carrying when it got to the point one evening where it was either un-cock the pistol and put it back under the front seat or start firing. I was level headed enough to consider the ramifications of my actions and walked away. I'm still not sure I made the right choice but it is one I'm quite happy living with.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
I quit carrying when it got to the point one evening where it was either un-cock the pistol and put it back under the front seat or start firing. I was level headed enough to consider the ramifications of my actions and walked away. I'm still not sure I made the right choice but it is one I'm quite happy living with.

Wow. Talk about self discipline.

"If you are gonna pull it out, be prepared to follow through".

I own and shoot the .380, 9mm and the .45 also a 12 gauge. Which one I choose for protection depends on where I am and the situation I might be concerned about. My bedside weapon is the 9mm with a finger squeeze activated laser but in camp I prefer the 12 with HM dead coyote loads and that is mostly due to four legged critters. I hope to never use any one of them but I will if necessary.

Reactions: Serbonze and Kyle_W
As a LEO I was (and still am) asked this very same question many times. My stock answer is always the shot gun. Ya, I have a pistol very close at hand, but I know what I am doing and can hit what I aim at, AND have enough experience to remain calm when getting shot at!!!! Not many "experts" can say this!

Blaine is right. At in-home self defense range there is no difference in double 00 buck shot (9 .38 cal bullets) verses a shitpot full of #8 bird shot. They both will blow a big hole in a person.

Just this past weekend my son asked me this very question. He is a Army veteran and I taught him how to shoot. I told him to get a 870 pump and load the first two rounds with 8 shot, the next 2 with double 00, and the next three with slugs. Then to take the gun to a gunsmith and have the barrel cut off to the shortest legal limit for maximum maneuverability.
Why a pump? Very few failures and multiple rounds. This is what a lot of cop cars had locked in their racks because they would still fire and function with very minimal maintenance.

So the real question is do you want to tackle a intruder, or a zombie? For close in combat I totally recommend a baseball bat!

I can't tell civilians just how many times I took on really bad guys with a gun in my hand. Not enough probable cause to blow their brains out but knew I was in serious shit with a gun in my hand that I couldn't use but still holding an item that prevented me from use of both hands.
The final recommendation is a baseball bat. Then when swung don't just tap and release-—-
hit and hold, then the maximum shock effect gets transmitted to the target. You really don't want me to hit you with my ASP,

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle_W and StG58
Thank you for that!

I am extremely grateful for police officers. Thank you for your service.

To be a police officer, do you have to have complete focus and determination? I have wanted to be a police officer, however, I just don't think I'm cut out for it. I'm not a puss, but I'm not the most type A personality person.

You don't need to be type A. You just need to care about people! All people!

Common sense would tell me that is the more important quality in an officer. Seeing as that i've never once met a rude officer.

Were you city PD, or DPS? If I may ask?

Common sense would tell me that is the more important quality in an officer. Seeing as that i've never once met a rude officer.

I have. Fortunately they are the minority.

I have. Fortunately they are the minority.

Its the same with ANY group in the world.

Most officers have told me that more civilians thank them than scold them, in light of the media's recent spotlight on the actions of "bad" officers. Which is a pleasant surprise. I always thought that most people didn't appreciate officers.

Funny though, the media doesn't seem to give a shit if an officer or multiple officers are killed in a confrontation. Only if a poor thug is shot by "police brutality".

I was a deputy sheriff and then a sergeant deputy sheriff, then a detective sergeant. My dad was a retired police officer who also happened to be the first K9 officer in the state of Oregon. Sheik was his partner and I loved both of them!

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyle_W
I was a deputy sheriff and then a sergeant deputy sheriff, then a decective sergeant.

Very nice! That is awesome; I literally love police officers and anything having to do with them.

Its freaking awesome seeing two police officers with their patrol cars pulled up side by side, just shooting the bull.

My uncle is a DPS officer and can't help but just admire him.

Last edited:
Its the same with ANY group in the world.

Most officers have told me that more civilians thank them than scold them, in light of the media's recent spotlight on the actions of "bad" officers. Which is a pleasant surprise. I always thought that most people didn't appreciate officers.

Funny though, the media doesn't seem to give a shit if an officer or multiple officers are killed in a confrontation. Only if a poor thug is shot by "police brutality".

The media (at least the mainstream media) is evil, they truly are. It almost seems to me like they have some sort of hidden agenda trying to start a race war or something.

I can tell you what it really is though, it's the fact that they make a living of sensationalism, and I mean that literally. The more sensational and controversial the story, the more their ratings go up, the more advertisers pay for ads, and the more clicks (and therefore money) they get from their online posts on Facebook and such.

They're doing it for money, no question about it.

I was a deputy sheriff and then a sergeant deputy sheriff, then a decective sergeant. My dad was a retired polive officer who also happened to be the first K9 officer in the state of Oregon. Sheik was his partner and I lobed both of them!
I really hate replying on a phone that I can't see all that I post! Forgive the typos! Please.

Reactions: Kyle_W and Chris
The media (at least the mainstream media) is evil, they truly are. It almost seems to me like they have some sort of hidden agenda trying to start a race war or something.

I can tell you what it really is though, it's the fact that they make a living of sensationalism, and I mean that literally. The more sensational and controversial the story, the more their ratings go up, the more advertisers pay for ads, and the more clicks (and therefore money) they get from their online posts on Facebook and such.

They're doing it for money, no question about it.

That is what they did after the USS Maine blew up in Havana Harbor, Cuba. Just a back and forth outrage between newspapers to stir the people up so that THEY could benefit from it. ...then we declared war on Spain as a result. It's silly.

That is what they did after the USS Maine blew up in Havana Harbor, Cuba. Just a back and forth outrage between newspapers to stir the people up so that THEY could benefit from it. ...then we declared war on Spain as a result. It's silly.

Yep. This is why I feel sorry for people who aren't smart enough to see past it all. What do you read about ALL the time in the paper these days? Police shootings. Of course they always, always, always seem only report on the shootings that involved a white officer shooting a black person.

Again, there's a reason for that (and you already know), it's because no one cares about a white cop shooting a white guy. When a white cop shoots a black guy, the's a HUGE headline. It stirs controversy, ratings go up, and therefore revenue goes up.

From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. However, I think it's absolutely disgusting that they are in the business of stirring things up and getting people panicked.

Very nice! That is awesome; I literally love police officers and anything having to do with them.

Its freaking awesome seeing two police officers with their patrol cars pulled up side by side, just shooting the bull.

My uncle is a DPS officer and can't help but just admire him.
It is a nice position because you are watching each other's back.

Reactions: Kyle_W
Yep. This is why I feel sorry for people who aren't smart enough to see past it all. What do you read about ALL the time in the paper these days? Police shootings. Of course they always, always, always seem only report on the shootings that involved a white officer shooting a black person.

Again, there's a reason for that (and you already know), it's because no one cares about a white cop shooting a white guy. When a white cop shoots a black guy, the's a HUGE headline. It stirs controversy, ratings go up, and therefore revenue goes up.

From a business standpoint it makes perfect sense. However, I think it's absolutely disgusting that they are in the business of stirring things up and getting people panicked.

Don't even get me started. People make no sense at all.

Apparently the wildfires in Tennessee were started by two arsonists. If that's true, I wouldn't be able to believe it. Insane.

Reactions: Chris
Please guys can we move on?

Haha very good suggestion.

I just want to be prepared for any situation that may be thrown at me.

I would like to carry a weapon often, and always keep something handy once I get a house. So it seems like a pistol is the best option for many scenarios, and that caliber is of no consequence.

Haha very good suggestion.

I just want to be prepared for any situation that may be thrown at me.

I would like to carry a weapon often, and always keep something handy once I get a house. So it seems like a pistol is the best option for many scenarios, and that caliber is of no consequence.
No but I am really tired of talking about it.

Think about all the police shootings. These guys are trained and practice at least a couple of times a year under stress, and most have experience. They still fire multiple multiple did I say multiple rounds at a suspect during a confrontation. Think about this a minute. THINK ABOUT WHAT I JUST WROTE!

Take some self defense classes and learn how to to kick ass!