Opinions on these shackles

The attachment point will be plenty
As Yoda would say, "Those are not the shackles you be seeking."

Look up 3/4" bow shackle. That is the shackle you want. Better yet soft shackles from a company like TRE.

Then its time to consider how to mount D-ring tabs for your shackles. What bumper?
The bumper will be home built, and PLENTY strong. But Mutant Ninja's comment about a good hard pull is what I was afraid of. Sounds like these are out! Thanx all!

The attachment point will be plenty

The bumper will be home built, and PLENTY strong. But Mutant Ninja's comment about a good hard pull is what I was afraid of. Sounds like these are out! Thanx all!
I dont have shackles but you may want ones that can be removed, those suckers can be annoying as heck banging on the bumper all day.

If you're building a bumper at home, just put shackle mounts on the front (or wherever). Make sure they are welded on both sides of the bumper. Then just keep drings or preferably soft shackles in your recovery bag.

And buy your shackles from a industrial supply house not Harbor Freight. I use Crosby shackles, they are clearly marked with safe working load limit and make sure the manufacturer is marked on the shackle as well. Counterfeit shackles don't have those markings.

Reactions: Apparition
If you are making the bumper out of box steel sometimes it isn't easy to weld the backside. You can use something like this

clevis.jpg

It's all about the length of the weld, I think that's what "you know who" has said a few times and he's pretty good with this recovery stuff having designed some of the gear people around here use.

Reactions: Apparition
Reactions: TJ2 and Zorba
Don't even consider those, they're not made for or even close to being strong enough for vehicle recoveries. That's for tying down loads etc.

Recovery tabs for shackles need to be through-welded on both sides of what it's welded to.
Thanx Jerry - what about bolting the tabs? I see some that would accommodate (4) 1/2" (grade 8) bolts. Would be easier as I haven't run a bead since about 1988, so would have to have somebody weld for me...

Thanx Jerry - what about bolting the tabs? I see some that would accommodate (4) 1/2" (grade 8) bolts. Would be easier as I haven't run a bead since about 1988, so would have to have somebody weld for me...

What is your plan for the bumper if you aren't able to weld? Would seem to be fairly difficult to get a bumper put together without a good amount of welding to me.

Go to 'sportsmansguide.com' and look up in the military surplus department for German shackles. It's a 4 pack of some of the best shackles I've ever seen. They fit perfectly to the 3/4" tow points. I've used them to pull start a 14,000 lb tractor without a thought. Cheap too (and not made of Chinezium either!👍

Not to mention he has a nice wrinkled skirt, Jeep and a gun. I hope he's not a Democrat.😭
Not a damn Liberal. Registered GOP, although I don't fully agree with their platform either - both major parties are slavers, their respective slaveries just differ in form: "Choose the form of the Distructor...".

The wrinkled skirt annoys me, not sure how that happened and it was too late afterwards. Here's one that looks better:

brolita.png

Non-dance, this type of outfit is called "Elegant Gothic Aristocrat" or "Elegant Gothic Brolita". I've won or placed in every costume contest I've ever worn this in. See whatcha learn on a Jeep forum! :D ;)

Am I still on the TJ Wrangler Forum?

I feel kind of light-headed....

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch