Opinions on this Jeep please

Great info, thanks so much! Do you mind sharing the info of the shipping company you used if you have it?
If you go to uship.com you can put in your information, what you need shipped on what dates, and it will give you a list of transport companies and their rates. The rates usually vary depending on which company happens to be passing through that area with room on their truck.

Reactions: Jlin17
I might get flak for this but personally I think the frame looks good. Also you can't tell for sure what the inside looks based on the outside. Someone might have already grinded down the frame.

Both the jeeps I'm working on frames had about this much rust on the outside or more. On the inside of the frames however there was only a light layer of rust developing along the bottom of the inside of the frame, almost zero rust along the other sides or top of inside. In some of the more raised up areas of the inside of the frame where gravity forces most of the crap from building, like going over the wheel well, there was almost no rust at all. Is it an ideal situation? No, but I paid half the price you would on FB marketplace. Also removing rust is basically all I'm doing and researching right now. If I get too frustrated/fed up, I'll be the first one to drop 10 grand on a texas jeep.

Also I get my vehicles from wholesale, the private market on FB is crazy, the jeeps I look at nobody posts good pictures or anything of the frame and the descriptions look like they were written off in a dash. NEED TO SELL ASAP
Great info, thank you! When you say wholesale - are there specific sites that you're looking at?

Great info, thank you! When you say wholesale - are there specific sites that you're looking at?
By wholesale I meant like used car dealer auctions, which you would need a state license for (not a big deal, it's probably harder to get a license to become a make up artist). But it's not such a significant price difference that if I really really want a specific model vehicle I won't buy from private seller. However there's an even bigger disparity between the dealer price v.s. private price with these TJ's. Goes to show how the pricing is just artificial created by the consumers thirst for a no longer made model.

If I was you and wanted the cleanest jeep I could get my hands on without a lot of work, I would just look for one out of state. Like jeep guy said you'll be paying the same price for a North-east TJ but it will be much cleaner.

Edit: I just noticed you're from Virginia. I can't imagine there's any salt being used regularly there and any rust would probably be from being on the coast or offroading. That being said I have heard some folks from your area getting good deals down south. Do what you feel is best, maybe other's can chime in.

The winters in my area keep getting weaker and weaker. This year I only have jeeps, no winter car. :(

Last edited:
By wholesale I meant like used car dealer auctions, which you would need a state license for (not a big deal, it's probably harder to get a license to become a make up artist). But it's not such a significant price difference that if I really really want a specific model vehicle I won't buy from private seller. However there's an even bigger disparity between the dealer price v.s. private price with these TJ's. Goes to show how the pricing is just artificial created by the consumers thirst for a no longer made model.

If I was you and wanted the cleanest jeep I could get my hands on without a lot of work, I would just look for one out of state. Like jeep guy said you'll be paying the same price for a North-east TJ but it will be much cleaner.

Edit: I just noticed you're from Virginia. I can't imagine there's any salt being used regularly there and any rust would probably be from being on the coast or offroading. That being said I have heard some folks from your area getting good deals down south. Do what you feel is best, maybe other's can chime in.

The winters in my area keep getting weaker and weaker. This year I only have jeeps, no winter car. :(
Gotcha, thanks so much for the info! Yeah, we haven't had much solid snow or road treatments in the past few years, so I'm thinking some of these rusted out ones are coming from farther up north or maybe even the coast - hard to say. But maybe down south will have some better inventory :/

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
This question always comes up on here every 10 days or so and the responses make me laugh.

You can usually tell who is above and below the Mason Dixon line from the replies without even looking at their location. Some make it out like a speck of frame rust and the Jeep has full blown AIDS and run the other way. That's not really exaggerated and just quite silly.

Few things that are fact.

#1 fact...you won't find a TJ for sale in the rust belt that spent it's life here with any amount of miles on it that is rust free. It just won't happen.
Does that mean it's junk? Not even close.

Surface rust is exactly as it sounds. Rust on the surface and if you take care of it going forward won't have a single issue.

Rust through is a problem and what needs avoided unless you are good at welding or have a friend that is.

How can you tell the difference? A small ball peen hammer and hitting the frame. A solid frame with just surface rust will make a noise like solid metal hitting good metal.

Bad spots will literally sound like the hammer is hitting mush and or the hammer will go right through the bad spot. Either way that's not good. Yuku

You don't need to hit this like you've been working on the railroad all the live long day....just a nice tap with the hammer a bit on the firm side.

#2 fact...
I've seen posts about getting one across the country and shipped in. You can possibly get one with near zero rust alright but it could also be a complete mechanical asshole. Not saying every single one is like that but the possibility exists for sure.

Personally I'd never buy something like such sight unseen.

#3 and by far the most important fact...everything is irrelevant if you don't like it.
I don't care how good of condition or rust free it is or how great of a deal...you absolutely positively must like the thing. (Really ...you should love it)
Me personally i want to be touchy feely with it. Drive it.
It will just hit you if that is the one or not. It will just feel right to you or feel off.

That's just not possible buying something sight unseen but to each their own.

Good luck.

I've been looking on Facebook and Craigslist mostly, not finding much at all. I'd like to stay at or below $10k, automatic transmission, under 100k miles preferably.
I'll keep an eye out for you. When I found my Rubicon for $9500, I jumped on it immediately. It sold in under 10 hours after being listed on Craigslist. I got it because I brought the cash with me on a Sunday when the banks were closed. Everyone else wanted to give him a deposit. I had sold my 00' Sahara for $9,000 a few days earlier.

Last edited:
I'll keep an eye out for you. When I found my Rubicon for $9500, I jumped on it immediately. It sold in under 10 hours after being listed on Craigslist. I got it because I brought the cash with me on a Sunday when the banks were closed. Everyone else wanted to give him a deposit. I had sold my 00' Sahara for $9,000 a few days earlier.
I really appreciate your keeping an eye out! I'm checking a couple times per day, but haven't seen anything great yet.

Reactions: TheBoogieman
First off being new to Jeeps you need to gain as much knowledge as possible. This forum is a good start. I recommend that you physically view and drive as many as you can to get a general overview. I use “searchtempest” to search all the Craigslist postings in a large radius from me, up to 2k miles. This will give you a good idea what’s out there and you can filter it to exactly what you are looking for. If you can get the VIN and look it up. This can give you a lot of info. Just because it has rubicon stickers doesn’t mean it is. Also as stated before, cash is king so have it with you. One trick I learned from my dad is to have one bundle of cash under the amount the seller is asking and show it to them to see if they bite. Some people when they see the cash will jump on it. If not then you can always pull out more. I flew 850 miles to Co to see the one I eventually bought and then drove up with my trailer and brought her home. I’ve had it for a month and am very happy with it. For me the search is half the fun. Once you join the Jeep Club you will be hooked.

First off being new to Jeeps you need to gain as much knowledge as possible. This forum is a good start. I recommend that you physically view and drive as many as you can to get a general overview. I use “searchtempest” to search all the Craigslist postings in a large radius from me, up to 2k miles. This will give you a good idea what’s out there and you can filter it to exactly what you are looking for. If you can get the VIN and look it up. This can give you a lot of info. Just because it has rubicon stickers doesn’t mean it is. Also as stated before, cash is king so have it with you. One trick I learned from my dad is to have one bundle of cash under the amount the seller is asking and show it to them to see if they bite. Some people when they see the cash will jump on it. If not then you can always pull out more. I flew 850 miles to Co to see the one I eventually bought and then drove up with my trailer and brought her home. I’ve had it for a month and am very happy with it. For me the search is half the fun. Once you join the Jeep Club you will be hooked.
Awesome info, thanks so much! I'm definitely trying to learn as much as I can.

If a Craig's List seller admits his car is in "fair condition," you know something is seriously wrong.
I emailed him about the condition (besides the obvious small fender damage). I think it's worse when craigslist sellers list them as "Like New" and they're pieces of shit, after your 2 hour drive.

Craigslist Jeep ad.jpg

Last edited:
Solid PASS for me. Why pay $9,000 for something that already needs work and rusted parts replaced?
That's me in a nutshell.... I'm not going to start with something that needs all that...because I know it's also going to need the other stuff that they all need when they are 15 years old or older and have a few miles on them. I realize people from the rust belt have come to accept and learn to handle rust and people from the South run from it... And I know I probably come across very wrong on these threads.

But I would be willing to wager if I were a betting person that the cost to travel anywhere to get one with no rust is far less then the cost to straighten one out with rust.

That's me in a nutshell.... I'm not going to start with something that needs all that...because I know it's also going to need the other stuff that they all need when they are 15 years old or older and have a few miles on them. I realize people from the rust belt have come to accept and learn to handle rust and people from the South run from it... And I know I probably come across very wrong on these threads.

But I would be willing to wager if I were a betting person that the cost to travel anywhere to get one with no rust is far less then the cost to straighten one out with rust.
The more I see with rust the more I'm leaning towards agreeing with you 😅