Opinions on Valvoline Max Life 10W-40

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey everyone!

I know engine oil is one of the most discussed topics in the forum.

However, I am about to use Valvoline Max Life 10W-40. What's your experience/opinion on this engine oil?

*I am looking at the 10W-40 viscosity, because I live in Greece, so it's a relatively hot climate. (100+ °F at summer time.)

Hey everyone!

I know engine oil is one of the most discussed topics in the forum.

However, I am about to use Valvoline Max Life 10W-40. What's your experience/opinion on this engine oil?

*I am looking at the 10W-40 viscosity, because I live in Greece, so it's a relatively hot climate. (100+ °F at summer time.)
Hi Jim and happy new year!

I have been using 10w-40 as well for many years now for the same reason. >40 degrees Celsius during July in Athens.

I have tried Mopar, Amsoil (not easy to find here) and for the last years I have been using Castrol. FWIW, I have not noticed any material difference between these brands.

Reactions: 06TJ35's
HI TJim MaxLife seems to be a more common high end high mileage oil in Europe but it is a full Synthetic. Are you using full synthetic at the moment because it can cause rear main seal leaks in some TJ,s.
I am using 10w-40 Castrol Magnatec which is a semi synthetic at the moment in Australia and the jump from 10w30 to 10w40 was a good move in my opinion but the semi did give me a "very minor" rear main seal leak over the conventional I was using.
I have found a conventional high mileage 10w 50 which I will be using next summer because my engine seems to run much better when hot on the 10w-40.

Its a very controversial subject on this forum to use anything other than manufacturers recommended 10w-30 but the 10w-40 in Synthetic and semi synthetic is a recommended replacement of 10w-30 conventional on high mileage in Australia and possibly is in Europe? And as Kon said above I don't think there is a great deal of difference between the top end premium oils and any other major brand oil like Castrol.

Reactions: Kon
If I’m not wrong the difference between 10w-30 (recommended) and 10w-40 is that the latter can substitute the former when temperatures tend to be higher (hotter climates)?

Reactions: Fishtaco
… but it is a full Synthetic.
I would put it in the synthetic camp, but it’s a synthetic blend (at least here in the U.S.) If it really matters.

Last time I was getting consumables at Autozone I saw this and it was on sale ($16/gal) It looks like regular price is still low and it’s a conventional. Thinking of trying it next time, pending approval. Looking at you @Jerry Bransford ?! Thoughts? It says for diesel-gas use.

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...e-oil-hd-conventional-15w-40-1-gal/689565_0_0

Last edited:
I‘ve used Maxlife in the 10w-30 weight since I bought my Jeep almost 6 years ago with low 90-some thousand miles at the time of purchase. No leaks or other issues. I’ve done 2 oil analysis‘ through Blackstone and both said things looked great. I think the previous owners did a good job of maintaining it before I got it, based off that.

I would put it in the synthetic camp, but it’s a synthetic blend (at least here in the U.S.) If it really matters.

Last time I was getting consumables at Autozone I saw this and it was on sale ($16/gal) It looks like regular price is still low and it’s a conventional. Thinking of trying it next time, pending approval. Looking at you @Jerry Bransford ?! Thoughts?

https://www.autozone.com/motor-oil-...e-oil-hd-conventional-15w-40-1-gal/689565_0_0
There are more members using 15w-40 than say they do! dont ask me how I know :)

I am about to use Valvoline Max Life 10W-40. What's your experience/opinion on this engine oil?
What are your concerns?
It's oil, change it regularly and it will do what it's designed to do.
I would bet very few people ever see an oil related engine issue due to brand, or viscosity.

Reactions: ColoJeep
What are your concerns?
It's oil, change it regularly and it will do what it's designed to do.
I would bet very few people ever see an oil related engine issue due to brand, or viscosity.
Although true that's not really in the spirit of TJ oil discussions and hot climates :)
I live in Australia and it gets hot
I have been to Greece a few times and it gets hot
I have been to USA a few times and it gets hot
I lived in England and it got hot once in 1976 lol

• Haha
Reactions: Kon
I believe that proper volume and regular oil changes are probably more important than the brand name. Others may disagree, and that's fine as I am not here to debate one brand over another.
I recently swapped to 10W-40 because it was all that was available locally that was also 'high mileage'.
I live in SoCal and also have little concern for the slight change from 10W-30 to 10W-40 because we also lack a true winter season.
In short, I suspect that you too, will be fine with that option.

Reactions: Kon and Fishtaco
I've been messing around with cars all my life so oil and the discussion has always been fun. Recently I was bending the ear of my neighbor as he was changing the oil in his Honda Accord. I asked what oil he used and he said, "I don't know, whatever was on sale." I asked again okay, but what weight, 0w-20? He replied, "I don't know, it was just on sale." I laughed a bit on the inside but you know in a way he's not wrong, it's just oil. His Accord probably doesn't care in this climate and the way he drives it probably wont be the engine that kills that thing (sorry Dave if you are reading this).

You might consider 15w-40 if it can be found inexpensively. It'll work just about the same as 10w-40.
I have seen it snow in Athens when I was there in the late 1980,s and I believe it snowed again last year?
But if its usually anything like Perth we have never dropped below 30F since records were kept so going 15w or even 20w should not affect a cold start in a hot climate.
Using 40 over 30 has quietened down my engine a bit when hot, maybe placebo effect who knows? :)

Using 40 over 30 has quietened down my engine a bit when hot, maybe placebo effect who knows? :)
I used to run 15w-40 in the summer and 10w-30 winter but last time I ran the 30 it was noticeably more noisy. At 150k my 4.0L seems to like 40 so that's what I put in, I don't think it's placebo at all.

Reactions: Fishtaco